Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: 2013 ZiPS projections

  1. #1

    2013 ZiPS projections

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...oston-red-sox/

    Red-Sox-Depth.png



    Lots of interesting players for the Red Sox

    New arrivals
    Shane Victorino .330/.425 2.9 WAR
    Mike Napoli .347/.488 1.8 WAR
    Stephen Drew .322/.396 1.7 WAR

    Young Players
    Wil Middlebrooks .292/.434 1.8 WAR
    Jackie Bradley .329/.367 1.6 WAR
    Lavarnway .311/.388 1.3 WAR
    Jose Iglesias .298/.304 1.1 WAR

    and former Dodger Ruby de la Rosa 51 IP, 4.38 ERA, 4.15 FIP 0.8 WAR

  2. #2
    This year is gonna suck. Big time. If we get to 81 wins, I'll be happy.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    This year is gonna suck. Big time. If we get to 81 wins, I'll be happy.
    Interesting

    Because these WAR projections put the Red Sox at 90 wins

    *disclaimer: WAR projections shouldn't be used this way

  4. #4
    Isn't the projected 150 OPS+ for papina little bit optimistic if you consider his age and injuries?
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Isn't the projected 150 OPS+ for papina little bit optimistic if you consider his age and injuries?
    Ortiz has a 150 wRC+ over the last 3 seasons

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    267
    Blog Entries
    4
    The spin is beginning in the press and on TV in Boston. The new sherrif has arrived to manage. He seems like a big, rather humorless guy, sort of in the mold of Joe Cronin, Steve O'Neill,or Darrell Johnson; his strength seems to be that he isn't Valentine. I doubt Farrell will ride in the Pan-Mass Challenge, in any event.

    John Lackey is now wonderful. He has lost weight and everyone in Florida just loves him, so they say and write. One non-established pitcher has accidentally shot himself inthe leg, and Buchholtz has sprained a hamstring bending over to pick up a baseball.

    Pedroia says he relishes being on an underdog team, as they now have more to shoot for, or some similar cliche. He has yet publicly to call out the manager.

    John Henry swears he is really interested in the team, but has to keep up with his other activities because just being owner of the Red Sox isn't enough to keep him busy.

    Not much seems to be expected of this team, which means that everyone hopes to be pleasantly surprised. Oh, yes, as expected, Terry Francona is morphing into a bad guy, on talk radio at least.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Interesting

    Because these WAR projections put the Red Sox at 90 wins

    *disclaimer: WAR projections shouldn't be used this way
    Projections schmojections. . . how many wins were they projected to win last season?

    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see 'em win 90 games, but I don't see it happening. Like I said, if they win 81 games, I'll be happy.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    Projections schmojections. . . how many wins were they projected to win last season?
    ZiPS projections are mean projections.

    If we projected 10 coin flips the mean projection would be 5 heads and 5 tails - that's the most likely outcome.

    But not the only possible outcome.

    http://www.mathamazement.com/Lessons...obability.html
    10-coin-toss-histogram.JPG

    As you can see, it is most likely that the number of heads will be near 5, which is half the total number of tosses. This histogram has a roughly bell-shape, which is typical of histograms of probability distributions of repeated independent trials.

  9. #9
    So based on that, are you supporting their projection of 90 wins?

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    So based on that, are you supporting their projection of 90 wins?
    Well,

    First that wasn't their projection. It was a rough projection based only on the projected starting iineup, not including any bench players.

    Second, I don't understand what you mean by 'supporting'.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Well,

    First that wasn't their projection. It was a rough projection based only on the projected starting iineup, not including any bench players.

    Second, I don't understand what you mean by 'supporting'.
    OK, let's make this easy. . . do you, or do you not, think the 2013 Red Sox will achieve 90 wins?

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    OK, let's make this easy. . .
    Why do people think there is such virtue in making things easy?

    do you, or do you not, think the 2013 Red Sox will achieve 90 wins?
    Still appears that you're not understanding projections and probabilities.

    If I told you I was going to flip a coin ten times and asked you how many times you thought it would land heads what would you say?

    You can even look at this chart

    10-coin-toss-histogram.JPG

    What's your answer? How many heads will we get if we flip a coin 10 times?







    Would you say 5 heads? If you did, you'd be wrong 75% of the time. Is that good guess then? Well...depends. It will be right more than any other number you could pick. But, still, it'll be wrong most of the time.

    The best answer would be to say that you'd expect 5 heads 25% of the time, 4 or 6 heads 20% of the time, 3 or 7 heads 12% of the time, 2 or 8 heads 5% of the time, 1 or 9 heads about 2% of the time and 0 or 10 heads less than 1% of the time.

    So, what does this have to do with the Red Sox you're probably asking.

    The mean projection for the Red Sox is probably something like 86 wins if their true talent is around 90 wins. Those 90 wins are expected to come against an aggregate opponent who wins 50% of the time - an average team. But, the Red Sox play in the AL East and play more games against a bunch of teams who are expected to win more than 50% of their games. So, the Red Sox will be expected to lose more.

    If the Red Sox mean projection is 86 wins, then there is some probability they'll win exactly 86 games. Some probability they'll win 87 or 85 games, some probability they'll win 88 or 84 games, some probability they'll win 89 or 83 games, some probability they'll win 90 or 82 games, etc...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    7402 miles from Fenway Park
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barrie View Post
    The spin is beginning in the press and on TV in Boston. The new sherrif has arrived to manage. He seems like a big, rather humorless guy, sort of in the mold of Joe Cronin, Steve O'Neill,or Darrell Johnson; his strength seems to be that he isn't Valentine. I doubt Farrell will ride in the Pan-Mass Challenge, in any event.

    John Lackey is now wonderful. He has lost weight and everyone in Florida just loves him, so they say and write. One non-established pitcher has accidentally shot himself inthe leg, and Buchholtz has sprained a hamstring bending over to pick up a baseball.

    Pedroia says he relishes being on an underdog team, as they now have more to shoot for, or some similar cliche. He has yet publicly to call out the manager.

    John Henry swears he is really interested in the team, but has to keep up with his other activities because just being owner of the Red Sox isn't enough to keep him busy.

    Not much seems to be expected of this team, which means that everyone hopes to be pleasantly surprised. Oh, yes, as expected, Terry Francona is morphing into a bad guy, on talk radio at least.
    Bryce Brentz is an outfielder.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

    Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    7402 miles from Fenway Park
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    Projections schmojections. . . how many wins were they projected to win last season?

    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see 'em win 90 games, but I don't see it happening. Like I said, if they win 81 games, I'll be happy.
    I project you'll be happy.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

    Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    7402 miles from Fenway Park
    Posts
    1,561
    Quote Originally Posted by filihok View Post
    Why do people think there is such virtue in making things easy?
    Because most people don't like probabilistically projections. People want to know whether it's going to rain tomorrow or not. They don't want to know that there's a 45% chance of rain, no matter if your best available forecasts tell you exactly that.

    I think what 9&10 wants to know, is what number of wins you would say the Red Sox will have at the end of regular season IF you had to chose a single, specific win number. So, your answer explaining him how to understand Zips projections correctly will do little to make him happy.

    And since we are talking projections, the guys at BP ran their Monte Carlo sims and put the Red Sox at a .516 record.
    Watching Derek Jeter make 40 defensive plays and then watching Adam Everett make 40 defensive plays at the same position is sort of like watching video of Barbara Bush dancing at the White House, and then watching Demi Moore dancing in Striptease. (Bill James)

    Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power. If he can continue to hit .260 or so, he'll be useful, and he probably has a future as a backup infielder. (Keith Law)

  16. #16
    I don't care about coin flips or WAR projections. I look at the roster and the makeup of the rest of the division/league and believe that the 2013 Red Sox are going to be a .500 ballclub. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think they've made enough improvements (not that they could have, given the weak free agent class) to be any better than that.

    81 wins. That's my prediction. Anyone else care to make one?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    I don't care about coin flips or WAR projections.
    Who cares about math, or rationality when instead you can pull numbers from...mid-air.

    I look at the roster and the makeup of the rest of the division/league and believe that the 2013 Red Sox are going to be a .500 ballclub.

  18. #18
    So what's your prediction?

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    So what's your prediction?
    Sigh

    http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...37#post2119037

  20. #20
    Great. Awesome. Brilliant.

    Anyone else have a prediction on their win total, or are you gonna go with the nutty professor and his 90 wins?

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    Great. Awesome. Brilliant.

    Anyone else have a prediction on their win total, or are you gonna go with the nutty professor and his 90 wins?
    I absolutely hate when people online call out someone for 'reading comprehension' because the vast majority of the time what they are objecting to has nothing to do with reading comprehension.

    However, in this case, it appears that you failed to comprehend what I wrote.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •