Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: The Yankees Doom Watch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    I never bought into the whole doom and gloom that many critics were predicting for 'em this season. Most teams will have to rely on their farm system to fill the holes due to injury. Not the Yankees. They go and get guys like Vernon Wells who's making $18M a year. They've got $39M allocated to two guys at 3B and neither is playing. Their starting pitching is doing great and that's what's got 'em to first place.
    Vernon Wells stinks. Yes, he's off to a good start this season, but any team could have gotten him from the Angels this offseason for pennies on the dollar. The Yankees are only on the hook for one third of the money owed to him by Anaheim. The Angles had no use for him and he had an 86 OPS+ and 0.1 WAR over the last two seasons. He's been replacement level at best.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Vernon Wells stinks. Yes, he's off to a good start this season, but any team could have gotten him from the Angels this offseason for pennies on the dollar. The Yankees are only on the hook for one third of the money owed to him by Anaheim. The Angles had no use for him and he had an 86 OPS+ and 0.1 WAR over the last two seasons. He's been replacement level at best.
    Vernon Wells doesn't stink, he's just maddeningly inconsistent. If he keeps this up, this will be his fifth very good season, to go along with five bad seasons, and two respectable seasons. This is probably a contract year for him, which would explain why he's playing so well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blade1969 View Post
    Vernon Wells doesn't stink, he's just maddeningly inconsistent. If he keeps this up, this will be his fifth very good season, to go along with five bad seasons, and two respectable seasons. This is probably a contract year for him, which would explain why he's playing so well.
    Based on recent track record he stinks. I don't care what he did in 2003.

He's had a 99 OPS+ and 8.6 WAR over the past six seasons combined. That WAR total doesn't crack the top one hundred and fifty (150) position players during the last six seasons. Jack Cust and failed prospect Cameron Maybin are among players who have been more valuable than Wells since 2006.

Contract or not, the expectations on Wells aren't very high for this year. Anything he delivers would be a plus.

Anything will do when you're doomed.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post

Anything will do when you're doomed.
    aren't they in 1st place??

Quote Originally Posted by bassball View Post
    I think he was joking.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by bassball View Post
    They are but I think CCN was refering to their situation in the offseason and looking at that laundry list of players who were on the DL, so they had to do something. And they got lucky.

Here is a nice little Yankee nugget. The Yanks are 19-0 when they have put the first run on the board this season. Since 1900 the only team that started the season with a better mark was the 1990 Reds at 20-0. Yeah, that was the Reds team that won it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Buczilla View Post
    Here is a nice little Yankee nugget. The Yanks are 19-0 when they have put the first run on the board this season. Since 1900 the only team that started the season with a better mark was the 1990 Reds at 20-0. Yeah, that was the Reds team that won it all.
    19-1 now, since the O's won in extras tonight.

19-1 now, since the O's won in extras tonight.
    Pretty impressive feat none the less considering the Yankees are on a doom watch.

You jinxed it for us.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    You jinxed it for us.
    Heh, as a consolation prize your boys set the AL mark.

Great to see the Yanks punching above their weight at the moment.
    It'll be interesting to see how some of the big names perform when they return. The pressure will be on.
    Take care
    Pete

Pretty impressive feat none the less considering the Yankees are on a doom watch.
    Well, nearly 12 of the 15 pages of this thread came before the season started. Many fans like myself wanted this to be a doom watch, and it just hasn't happened like we had hoped. Like I've said before, I never bought into all the doom and gloom surrounding this team. Unfortunately, all of their scrap-heap purchases have been producing and their starting pitching has done well.

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    Obviously you are at most 18 years old.

The Yankees were terrible in the late 80's early 90's. It was only with the development of Bernie, Jeter, Mo and Andy that they tunred it around.
    I love it when Yankee fans talk about this timeframe as if to say, "Hey, look at us, we've suffered too!!!" Bringing that up only reinforces how little suffering you've done. So you had to go roughly a decade-and-a-half between WS appearances. Fans of most teams would KILL to only have to wait that long!!!

Sorry, but Yankee fans complaining about their lean years is a joke and a slap in the face to fans of other teams who've truly suffered.

I love it when Yankee fans talk about this timeframe as if to say, "Hey, look at us, we've suffered too!!!" Bringing that up only reinforces how little suffering you've done. So you had to go roughly a decade-and-a-half between WS appearances. Fans of most teams would KILL to only have to wait that long!!!

Sorry, but Yankee fans complaining about their lean years is a joke and a slap in the face to fans of other teams who've truly suffered.
    They also contended throughout the 80's. Had some pretty good teams, een at the end of the decade. One or two bad years. I think Artie Lange has a saying for this sort of thing.

Waaaahhhh!
    Robin JEDI

The Yanks were good in the early to mid '80's. They were among, if not the worst, team in baseball in the late '80's early '90's. They were overwhelming underdogs in '96. Everyone thought they missed their chance with the strike in '94. Mattingly, almost any Yankee fan my age's favorite player, made 1 post season. His last year in the league in '95.

The Yanks were good in the early to mid '80's. They were among, if not the worst, team in baseball in the late '80's early '90's. They were overwhelming underdogs in '96. Everyone thought they missed their chance with the strike in '94. Mattingly, almost any Yankee fan my age's favorite player, made 1 post season. His last year in the league in '95.
    I repeat, waaah.
    Robin JEDI

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cold Nose View Post
    I repeat, waaah.
    Not all Yankee fans are old enough to remember the 40's and 50's, or even the late 70's for that matter. So they won a bunch of titles before I was born...so what. It didn't make 1996 any less sweet for me.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Not all Yankee fans are old enough to remember the 40's and 50's, or even the late 70's for that matter. So they won a bunch of titles before I was born...so what. It didn't make 1996 any less sweet for me.
    It should have been sweet. Regardless, it's laughable to point to a five year stretch of not really contending and thinking sympathy is deserved.
    Robin JEDI

Even during their lean years in the late '80s and early '90s they weren't as bad as people remember. Their worst season was 1990, when they were 67-95. I believe that was the only time the Yankees ever dipped below 70 wins in a full 162 game season. They still averaged 72 wins a season during that 1989 - 1992 stretch, which isn't good but 1990 was the only year they were the worst team in the AL East. Prior to those years they were always just a bit short of making the postseason. In 1988, for instance, they finished 5th in their division -- a whopping 3.5 games behind the 1st place Red Sox. In 1987 they finished 4th despite having 89 wins. I can't help but think people would view the 1980s and early 1990s Yankees teams differently if divisional realignment and the wild card had happened sooner.
    Last edited by davewashere; 05-23-2013 at 09:44 AM.

Can the Yankees hold off the Blue Jays?

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    I've never understood this logic that "the Yankees need to be relevant every year because we need a team to hate." I find the Cardinals and Red Sox just as easy to hate as the Yankees, if not more so at times. I hated the Braves back when they won all the time in the '90s. If the Giants looked like a threat this year, I'd probably be hating them right now too instead of merely enjoying the fact that they're out of it. The Phillies and Angels have worn out any bit of interest I might have in them and I currently root against both. Really, any team that I'm tired of seeing is easy to hate, and there'll always be teams we're sick of. It doesn't need to be the Yankees.
    A sport, especially baseball, needs a team that fans either love, or love to hate. It doesn't have to be the Yankees, but that team needs to exist. There needs to be a 'King of the Hill'. Complete parity is good for nobody.
    Last edited by Phantom Dreamer; 08-05-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415