• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filihok
    Team Veteran
    • Nov 2012

Carlos Gomez' Contract Extension

With 3 year $24 million extension thru 2016 # Brewers have committed 4 years and $28.3 million to Carlos Gomez over next 4 seasons. *htt...

The Brewers and Gomez reached an agreement on a 1-year deal in January of this year. That deal was for $4.3 million in 2013.

A few months later they agreed to a $24 million 3-year extension.

Was it a good deal?

Gomez has been more of a part time player for the Crew than a starter in his career; averaging just about 400 PA's per season.

With the new contract and Nyjer Morgan heading to Japan for this season CF looks to belong to Gomez.

FanGraphs has 5 different projection systems available for most players. These projections combine to project Gomez for a .303/.404 line worth 2.1 WAR in 450 PA's (2.8 WAR in 600 PA's).

Gomez hit .305/.463 last season so the projections don't like Gomez to retain his power despite the fact he's entering his age 27 season which is usually the beginning of a player's power peak (/alliteration).

Since players peak from about age 27 to age 31 this contract should cover Gomez' peak years and he should have minimal risk of decline over the life of the contract.

We should expect Gomez to put up 4 seasons of about 2.5 WAR. The market value of 1 WAR is about $5.5 million currently. If that value increases 5% annually then the value of Gomez' total WAR would be about $60 million.

The total value of Gomez' contract is $28.3 million.

The Brewers will be paying Gomez about half of what he is expected to produce. Even if he fall off dramatically, he should be worth his contract.
  • Ben Grimm
    Semi-lucid User
    • Jun 2012

FWIW, I don't see the huge dropoff in power that Fangraphs does, nor do I see any evidence to lead to that conclusion.

I don't think Carlos is likely to repeat his .463 SLG or whatever it was, but I certainly don't see such a drop to get him down to .404.

His ISO has increased every season. He actually did better as last year went along, and his FB% has risen the past few years. I've got him at .250/.302/.430 (.732 OPS) simply based on the fact his ISO has risen every year (I even downgraded it) and that he's at the early portion of his physical prime.
    "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

• Ben Grimm
      Semi-lucid User
      • Jun 2012

Hmmm......
      "Chuckie doesn't take on 2-0. Chuckie's hackin'." - Chuck Carr two days prior to being released by the Milwaukee Brewers

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X