Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Bat standards for 2014 (Youth)?

Question New Bat standards for 2014 (Youth)?

I just heard for the first time that there is a chance next year they are going to change the rules again..... 1.08BPF instead of 1.15. Obviously this is league dependent. But it seems like Little League and USSSA baseball have the biggest impact on that. I am coaching a 10U team with a bunch of first time kids/parents. Alot of them just bought new bats.... Does anyone have any info/links on the possible change next year? I could not find much out there.

Thanks

Wait a minute, April Fool's was a week ago...

I haven't heard this from our Little League yet, do you have a source that we can read?

If this is true then everyone is going to have to buy new bats - I don't think I have a single bat that is 1.08 BPF. They are all 1.15.

Can you recycle aluminum baseball bats? Anyone want to start a recycling business with me? We could make a bit of cash in 2014

If they're going to make another change, they should just go to BBCOR in drops other than -3 and be done with it.

I have nothing but a conversation with a member of our travel board. Then I did a google search and found something on a Minneapolis baseball website:

Please note bat regulations will change in 2014

This will not effect our teams this season, but next year the 1.15 BPF rating will change to 1.08 BPF.

Just a heads up if you're in the market for a new bat this year...

That is why I posted here to see if anyone else had heard this. If they do change it again, you would think they would have a grandfathered in period like before.

Quote Originally Posted by mkoehn View Post
    I have nothing but a conversation with a member of our travel board. Then I did a google search and found something on a Minneapolis baseball website:

Please note bat regulations will change in 2014

This will not effect our teams this season, but next year the 1.15 BPF rating will change to 1.08 BPF.

Just a heads up if you're in the market for a new bat this year...

That is why I posted here to see if anyone else had heard this. If they do change it again, you would think they would have a grandfathered in period like before.
    I assume this is being driven by the bat companies to gut the used bat market.

I shouldn't have read this, now my blood pressure is on the rise. I bought a bat (high end) this season specifically for it to be used for next year as well....ahhh

Blog Entries
    Has anyone found anything else? I haven't been able to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach C View Post
    I shouldn't have read this, now my blood pressure is on the rise. I bought a bat (high end) this season specifically for it to be used for next year as well....ahhh
    Yeah. I bought 2. One for this year and one to hold back for next. It's still in the wrapper and would be sold immediately if I could verify this.

Blog Entries
    I do know that 2014 is the first year that youth bats (2 1/4") will require the NEW USSSA mark.

Sorry for messing with your blood pressure. I did the same thing, 2 bats for my 2 boys that were for the next 2 years. I can't find anything else online either, so that leads me to believe this is not going to happen. But I do believe at some level they are talking about changing it again. Before last year one of the leagues we played in told us that they are not done messing with bats, and that it will likely change again. My guess is that even is they do change it for next year, there will be a grandfathered in period as long as you have the new stamp.

And yes, next year you for sure need the stamps on all bats regardless of size.

Found the following doing a Google search from April 2012:
    From the MaxBat - Maple baseball bats and baseball accessories facebook site:
    "Want to hear a joke? If you're buying a metal bat this year with the USSSA 1.15 BPF stamp on it, the rules are changing next year to a 1.08 BPF, meaning you'll need to spend an additional $200-$300 on another metal bat."

Not saying this isn't true (I have no idea), but if this WERE going to happen, and there were rumors that were already a year old out about this, you would figure there would be more info leaked about it, and you would likely see a number of 1.08 BPF bats released already as manufacturers try to get a jump on the market. Maybe I'm off base? No pun intended...

Blog Entries
    I've only found what the OP found on the Minneapolis Youth Baseball Association website. Personally, I have no problem with them going right to BBCOR standards for all ages, but it sure seems like a coincidental (or maybe not) boon for the bat companies if they change the standards every couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Roothog66 View Post
    I've only found what the OP found on the Minneapolis Youth Baseball Association website. Personally, I have no problem with them going right to BBCOR standards for all ages, but it sure seems like a coincidental (or maybe not) boon for the bat companies if they change the standards every couple of years.
    If they did that, I would be all in favor of just going to wood and not playing there game.

Also, you think in this sue happy world that someone would sue somebody if they change the rules 2 years after they just made a major change. A major change that forced alot of people/organizations to drop big bucks on new bats.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkoehn View Post
    If they did that, I would be all in favor of just going to wood and not playing there game.

Also, you think in this sue happy world that someone would sue somebody if they change the rules 2 years after they just made a major change. A major change that forced alot of people/organizations to drop big bucks on new bats.
    You ever wonder how many bats actually had to be purchased that wouldn't have upgraded in the first place. It hasn't change bat purchase timeline.

I am sure it impacted some, I just don't think it was as many people as you might think. For instance, the few people that cried wolf in our league have since purchased this years bats. Point being they would have purchased bats anyway!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by real green View Post
    You ever wonder how many bats actually had to be purchased that wouldn't have upgraded in the first place. It hasn't change bat purchase timeline.

I am sure it impacted some, I just don't think it was as many people as you might think. For instance, the few people that cried wolf in our league have since purchased this years bats. Point being they would have purchased bats anyway!
    True. Most, at least among travel squads, buy a new bat every year. The problem when they changed a couple of years ago is that they did it after Xmas, which resulted in a lot of useless Christmas presents.

Just read where Combat is bankrupt and is being taken over by Bauer. Combat was the only company that I am aware of that gave credit/refunds on returned bats when Little League changed the bat rules. It said that the move cost Combat 5 million and they never recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by d-mac View Post
    Just read where Combat is bankrupt and is being taken over by Bauer. Combat was the only company that I am aware of that gave credit/refunds on returned bats when Little League changed the bat rules. It said that the move cost Combat 5 million and they never recovered.
    Sounds like the guys who know how to make Combat sticks will remain on the payroll so I am hopeful the quality of the product won't be altered.

http://compositebats.com/combat-sports-bought-by-bauer/

Combat reaped huge profits by fooling the LL bat regs. for a few years.
    LL finally took their heads out of the sand, and summoned up the courage to tighten up the testing.
    Combat's LL bats--which never conformed to the rules--suddenly became expensive landfill.
    Last edited by skipper5; 04-11-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Skip

I am glad we never bought an expensive bat and are just using a hand-me-down.

Why not just use youth wood bats? Aren't the BBCOR and BPF regs there to mimic wood bat response?

Quote Originally Posted by screamer510 View Post
    Why not just use youth wood bats? Aren't the BBCOR and BPF regs there to mimic wood bat response?
    screamer,
    BBCOR comes fairly close. It deadens the flex of the barrels to nearly wood-like levels, but its MOI criteria allow BBCOR to swing lighter and faster than woodbats.

Whereas, BPF doesn't even come close to mimicing wood bat response.
    Skip

Besides ball rebound, is bat breakage another worrying factor in youths using wood in games?

Besides ball rebound, is bat breakage another worrying factor in youths using wood in games?
    Some of it is a simple question of expense, at least when it comes to leagues.

Our league would still go with metal if the metal performed the same as wood because there would be much less of a problem with team bats breaking (and we typically issue 2 or 3 team bats per team).

From my experience the composite wood bats last as long as the metal bats. It seems now would be a good time to switch to wood.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast