Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your favorite baseball book?

Sentimental memories come to mind with several, and anything by Roger Angell would be a candidate. The first book I must mention which changed how I viewed the game was "The Hidden Game of Baseball", and I intend to read it again someday, but I have discovered that I'll have to buy a reprint, because the original is now moldy.

In the meantime, one book I look forward to rereading is Bill James' Baseball Historical Abstract. This one is not moldy, and I'm now taking precautions over protecting the boxes and shelves from moisture.

Technically, the most impressive book I've read is Willie Mays' biography: "The Life, The Legend", by James Hirsch. A very, very well-researched book which was still entertaining and which did not uncover dirt, but celebrated Willie.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

here's one that should be among your all time favorites:

Great Baseball Feats, Facts & Firsts
    Last edited by Muncus Agruncus; 07-13-2016 at 03:37 AM.

Three books I've enjoyed that I have not seen mentioned:

Ring Around The Bases - compilation of Ring Lardner (including You Know Me Al)
    The Ball Clubs - Donald Dewey & Nicholas Acocella
    Diamonds - Michael Gershman

"The Pitch that Killed"...It'd make a tremendous movie. Good guys, bad guys, tragedy, colorful characters. The whole 1920 Indians season, Chapman's death, Carl Mays, Speakers reaction and leadership and the era of the Black Sox scandal, Ruth's rise and the demise of small ball. There's just so much going in 1920. It's really well written too.

Quote Originally Posted by dougw View Post
    Baseball Bonus Kid was good but, for my money, don't bet against The Kid Comes Back--Roy Tucker, aka The Kid, returns from W.W. II with a combat injury and a footlocker full of doubt. Can he lead the Dodgers back to the pennant or is his career over?
    The Kid Comes Back is the 5th in a series of 8 books, beginning with the seminal The Kid From Tompkinsville by John Tunis written in 1940. These books, especially the first Kid, were incredibly influential and important. They got a whole generation of kids to enjoy reading, and also helped spread the popularity of the Brooklyn Dodgers nationwide. They'll seem cheesy and dated 77 years after they were published, but I highly recommend you at least read the original Kid.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

"The Last Boy" Mickey Mantle and the end of America's childhood. By Jane Leavy. A national bestseller and rightfully so. Hard to put down. It was a Time Magazine top ten book of the year. One of the best baseball books that I have ever read, and I have read a few. She spent a lot of time digging into his past and also interviewing him. It is brutally honest and is full of his buddies too, Billy Martin, Whitey Ford and others. It is as one review said, "heartbreaking." It would pay any Yankee fan or any fan of the game, for that matter, to see how much pain that he played in and read about his battle with alcoholism. It was Copyright in 2010.
    Last edited by Dutch; 04-17-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    The saddest day of the year is the day that baseball season ends.

On October 8, 1956, in game 5 of the 1956 World Series, Don Larsen of the New York Yankees, threw a perfect game against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

I agree that "The Last Boy" is very good, but be warned: If you read it, you may learn more about Mickey Mantle than you wanted to know.
    Shalom, y'all!
    What's the rumpus?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123