Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Justin Morneau traded to Pirates

  1. #1

    Justin Morneau traded to Pirates

    They are really stocking up.

    In another aggressive personnel move, the Pittsburgh Pirates acquired Minnesota Twins first baseman Justin Morneau on Saturday.

    The Pirates entered Saturday tied for the AL Central lead with the St. Louis Cardinals. They're on the verge of their first winning season since 1992. Earlier this week, the Pirates acquired outfielder Marlon Byrd and catcher John Buck from the Mets.


    Read more:

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...twins/2751403/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    near JFK airport ,NYC
    Posts
    1,063
    good for them
    I like what they are doing this year
    they are going all out

  3. #3
    When was the last time the Pirates made such a deal? Morneau may not be what he one was, but it's great to see them as a buyer in September for a change.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Waterloo, IL
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowtipper View Post
    They are really stocking up.

    In another aggressive personnel move, the Pittsburgh Pirates acquired Minnesota Twins first baseman Justin Morneau on Saturday.

    The Pirates entered Saturday tied for the AL Central lead with the St. Louis Cardinals. They're on the verge of their first winning season since 1992. Earlier this week, the Pirates acquired outfielder Marlon Byrd and catcher John Buck from the Mets.


    Read more:

    http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...twins/2751403/
    When did the Pirates and Cardinals get moved to the AL Central?
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florissant, Mo.
    Posts
    16,806
    Here is what I wrote earlier tonight re: the trade



    The Pirates have added Morneau, Buck, and Byrd to strengthen some of their biggest weaknesses. The Cards have picked up a washed up middle reliever and sent down their best option to replace our horrific #4-#5 starter spots (Wacha).

    The Cards refusal to upgrade the back- end of the rotation and shortstop show that the Cardinals are likely 1.overvaluing/overrating their top prospects and 2. Being (as usually) very arrogant, expecting to win because "we are the Cardinals and always win." I am not supporting giving up Wong and Tavaras and Wacha, etc., but to do nothing? And I know there are not tons of great SS's or SP's out there for the taking, but it is not hard to replace a below replacement Kozma/DD or our awful 5th stater hole.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Waterloo, IL
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
    And I know there are not tons of great SS's or SP's out there for the taking, but it is not hard to replace a below replacement Kozma/DD or our awful 5th stater hole.
    So who do you pick up? You first state there isn't much out there, but then tell us it's not hard to find these replacements? And Wacha will be back up on Tuesday. They have to play by the rules.
    Mike Hopper
    Former Gateway Grizzlies Intern

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Florissant, Mo.
    Posts
    16,806
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    So who do you pick up? You first state there isn't much out there, but then tell us it's not hard to find these replacements? And Wacha will be back up on Tuesday. They have to play by the rules.
    You just have to be better than below replacement to improve. There are no 1 WAR players available at SS? There are no 1 WAR starters available? They have made shrewd and smart moves at trade deadlines forever and now they can't? The Pirates can find guys but we can't?

    I don't know who all of these people are - that isn't my job.
    1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

    1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

    1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012


    The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
    The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    8,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog19 View Post
    So who do you pick up? You first state there isn't much out there, but then tell us it's not hard to find these replacements? And Wacha will be back up on Tuesday. They have to play by the rules.
    Really? Heck, bulldog, YOU may be an upgrade at either SS or #4-5 SP! Mo really wouldn't have to look far, I don't think, to replace the holes we have there. Bothrops is more upset (and I totally agree) at the attitude of Mo and his comments a month or so ago when he arrogantly said we didn't need to upgrade anything. That attitude at a time the Cardinals were falling from first, and continued refusal to upgrade in our weak spots, is beyond frustrating. It is even insulting, as if he can convince the fan base that this team is as good as any team can get, and therefore needs no upgrades! Ridiculous.

    Good job Pirates. Not the best players in the league, but if they are filling up the necessary holes in the boat, you can stay afloat. The Cardinals GM will continue to stare in the mirror smiling to himself, playing his fiddle, as Rome burns down around him.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

    "The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

    "I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

  9. #9
    The Pirates have made significant moves- a veteran righthanded hitter with power and a track record in left (to replace the injured Marte), a decent veteran catcher with some power to spell Martin, and a veteran lefthanded first baseman with a good history. Morneau's hitting very well lately. He can replace Jones at first, who's been mostly poor this year. IF Jones starts hitting again he can platoon with Tabata in right, and Sanchez- who's hit pretty well against lefties- can get some games in at first to spell Morneau. Plus, the bench is MUCH more powerful than it has been all season.

    Nothing's a guarantee, but these are very good moves by Huntington.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,133
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRon View Post
    The Pirates have made significant moves- a veteran righthanded hitter with power and a track record in left (to replace the injured Marte), a decent veteran catcher with some power to spell Martin, and a veteran lefthanded first baseman with a good history. Morneau's hitting very well lately. He can replace Jones at first, who's been mostly poor this year. IF Jones starts hitting again he can platoon with Tabata in right, and Sanchez- who's hit pretty well against lefties- can get some games in at first to spell Morneau. Plus, the bench is MUCH more powerful than it has been all season.

    Nothing's a guarantee, but these are very good moves by Huntington.
    Justin can't hit lefties anymore.... .209/.248/.288/.536. His last 3 seasons against that side look like this.... .240/.290/.360/.650. With that said, I don't see Sanchez losing any playing time. Against righties, he is a huge upgrade over Jones this season.... .281/.343/.488/.831.

    Marte comes off the DL tomorrow when the clock strikes midnight. Byrd definitely has RF locked down vs lefties. Buczilla would think it would be hard to even sit him against righties considering he has gone .305/.349/.555/.904 in his past 81 games(335 PA). Buczilla knows GI Jones gets up to play against the Cards and Reds, but over the past 100 games he has produced a line of .223/.281/.395/.676. Tbats has gone .273/.341/.409/.750 since he came back from injury in the early goings of July.

    Huntington has a trophy piece coming his way. It's gotta be pretty much in the bag now.
    Last edited by Buczilla; 09-01-2013 at 08:50 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Home of the Twins
    Posts
    1,709
    Morneau is back. He has finally recovered from his last con concussion from a few years ago and he will rip the cover offif the ball for Pitt. I was sad to see him leave.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    8,603
    Quote Originally Posted by pheasant View Post
    Morneau is back. He has finally recovered from his last con concussion from a few years ago and he will rip the cover offif the ball for Pitt. I was sad to see him leave.
    I really liked him when he came up with the Twins as a young power hitting kid. He was really in awe when the Rockies came to town, and his two favorite players (both fellow Canadian countrymen) Corey Koskie and Larry Walker were going to be there playing on the same field as he was in the damn Dome. Of course he played with Koskie, being the Twins' 3Bman, but having Walker come to town and the three awesome Canadians together was a thrill Morneau talked about in an interview in the Star-Tribune.

    I remember one of the first HRs I saw Justin hit, it went WAAAAAAY up over the baggie! The Dome went wild! That damn flashing milk jug blinking down the RF line and all. I hated that damn milk jug.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

    "The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

    "I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    I really liked him when he came up with the Twins as a young power hitting kid. He was really in awe when the Rockies came to town, and his two favorite players (both fellow Canadian countrymen) Corey Koskie and Larry Walker were going to be there playing on the same field as he was in the damn Dome. Of course he played with Koskie, being the Twins' 3Bman, but having Walker come to town and the three awesome Canadians together was a thrill Morneau talked about in an interview in the Star-Tribune.

    I remember one of the first HRs I saw Justin hit, it went WAAAAAAY up over the baggie! The Dome went wild! That damn flashing milk jug blinking down the RF line and all. I hated that damn milk jug.
    I remember reading when Morneau first started getting national attention that he was a real physical specimen, insanely strong in the upper body (like you hear about Chris Davis now). It's a shame that such a bull of a guy has been felled so much by concussion problems, but sometimes it can be a long process of recovery from getting your bell rung.
    A fond yet sad farewell to Bill Burgess, the Ty Cobb of BBF.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Second Base
    Posts
    8,603
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I remember reading when Morneau first started getting national attention that he was a real physical specimen, insanely strong in the upper body (like you hear about Chris Davis now). It's a shame that such a bull of a guy has been felled so much by concussion problems, but sometimes it can be a long process of recovery from getting your bell rung.
    I was surprised too, because it really didn't look like his head took much of a hit by that infielder's leg/knee. Crazy how head injuries work though. We had a lot of problems with them in Iraq and Afghanistan, and all you could do was hope a guy could come back from that brain injury.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

    "The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

    "I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    I remember reading when Morneau first started getting national attention that he was a real physical specimen, insanely strong in the upper body (like you hear about Chris Davis now). It's a shame that such a bull of a guy has been felled so much by concussion problems, but sometimes it can be a long process of recovery from getting your bell rung.
    he also had a few other injuries before the concussion (for example a stress fracture in the back). he always was very injury prone, otherwise he would have probably had HOF talent.
    I think walks are overrated unless you can run. If you get a walk and put the pitcher in a stretch, that helps, but the guy who walks and cant run, most of the time hes clogging up the bases for somebody who can run. Dusty Baker.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •