• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phantom Dreamer
    Bring Back The Trident
    • Nov 2012

Houston Astros Panacea

The cure for all of the Astros' ills would be playing in a modernized Astrodome, wearing their 1987-1988 uniforms and remaining in the National League. Anything else?
    The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields
  • RootHouston
    • Oct 2013

Sounds pretty silly to me! What will really cure the Astros' problems? Time. Given the talent in the farm league, once these boys reach maturity, and some vets can be purchased, things will take form.
    sigpic
    National League Champions: 2005
    National League Division Champions: 1980, 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001
    National League Wild Card: 2004, 2005

Comment

• Phantom Dreamer
      Bring Back The Trident
      • Nov 2012

Should J.R. Richard have his number retired by the Astros?

The Ultimate Baseball Look

Modern Synthetic Baseball Fields

Comment

• The Commissioner
        Administrator
        • Jan 2000

In most cases, I believe teams are retiring way too many numbers. IMHO getting one's jersey retired should be exponentially more difficult that making the Hall of Fame.

However, having said that, yes, the Astros should retire his number. Had they only one number retired, I may be against it, but considering the team already has nine numbers retired, Richard would not seem out of place. Considering that he did play ten seasons with the club (5 at a phenomenal level) and was struck down as he was arguably reaching his peak at just 30, he definitely deserves to be there. Plus, I may be biased, but as a kid that idolized him and then saw the depths to which society let him fall to due to circumstances beyond his control, frankly I'd just love to see him get this.

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
          OSHA-certified Moderator
          • Jan 2000

Originally posted by The Commissioner View Post
          In most cases, I believe teams are retiring way too many numbers. IMHO getting one's jersey retired should be exponentially more difficult that making the Hall of Fame.

However, having said that, yes, the Astros should retire his number. Had they only one number retired, I may be against it, but considering the team already has nine numbers retired, Richard would not seem out of place. Considering that he did play ten seasons with the club (5 at a phenomenal level) and was struck down as he was arguably reaching his peak at just 30, he definitely deserves to be there. Plus, I may be biased, but as a kid that idolized him and then saw the depths to which society let him fall to due to circumstances beyond his control, frankly I'd just love to see him get this.
          The Astros did retire the numbers of a couple of players taken way too soon. While his stroke thankfully did not kill him, there is some historic precedent.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• RootHouston
            • Oct 2013

Had the Astros not retired so many other numbers already, I think Richard would be a good candidate. However, I think he will be a victim to this fact.
            sigpic
            National League Champions: 2005
            National League Division Champions: 1980, 1986, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001
            National League Wild Card: 2004, 2005

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X