View Poll Results: Who is less likeable?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alex Rodriguez

25 54.35%
  • Bud Selig

21 45.65%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Rodriguez vs. Bud Selig

Blog Entries

Alex Rodriguez vs. Bud Selig

Who do you like least between these two?
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

I thought you were the big poll guy?

And I wasn't trying to be dirty with that question/comment either...
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it!" Dizzy Dean

"The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

"I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

Selig. I actually don't hate A-Rod. I've grown tired of his charade, but I don't hate him.
    "Allen Sutton Sothoron pitched his initials off today."--1920s article

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrus4189Cobb View Post
    Selig. I actually don't hate A-Rod. I've grown tired of his charade, but I don't hate him.
    I agree with this. Though I think there are many around here that at least sound like (or read like) they can't stand either at all.

"The last guy who ran as badly as Bill Buckner was Long John Silver." Mark Heisler, sportswriter

"I'm getting by on three pitches now - a curve, a change-up, and whatever you want to call that thing that used to be a fastball." Frank Tanana

Why not both? They are both scum in their own ways.

Selig's a puppet, not Cesare Borgia. He serves his masters, and that never has been the fan.

A-Rod is the epitome of spoiled brat athlete. He gets a lot more heat than he should in a world where prima donnas are and have always been the norm.

ol' aches and pains said it best. Both will be gone soon enough.

We'll still have people and things to complain about in baseball.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior JEDI

Blog Entries
    I am a supporter of A-Rod. But I've also often supported Selig in the past on this site. (Though I don't agree with all of Bud's decisions, I think he's the best commissioner the sport has had, since the commissioner works for the owners and his number one objective is to help the owners make a lot of money on their investment. MLB has grown exponentially under his stewardship.
    RIP Bill Burgess - a gentleman and a scholar - Baseball-Fever will never be the same without you.

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    I am a supporter of A-Rod. But I've also often supported Selig in the past on this site. (Though I don't agree with all of Bud's decisions, I think he's the best commissioner the sport has had, since the commissioner works for the owners and his number one objective is to help the owners make a lot of money on their investment. MLB has grown exponentially under his stewardship.
    I agree with your words about Selig. I think baseball is thriving, and Selig has had a big part in it.

Bud Selig

If there was ever a biography written about Rodriguez I'd call it "A-Rod and the Infinite Sadness," a nod to the Smashing Pumpkins and basically the way I feel about his career from when I was young and he was a big deal and a "good guy" to what he has become. It's just an infinitely sad tale.
    "I go all out, and I'm going to bring that to the table everyday. In good times and in bad times." - Eric Byrnes
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Why is it sad? The way I see it, everything that has happened to ARod is his own fault or his own choice. Whether or not a person agrees or disagrees with him, he made the choices and dictated his life's course.

I don't see any bad breaks or circumstances out of his control. Comparing him to people from literature, he isn't Pip from Great Expecations. At best he is Sir John Falstaff or Pan Zagloba, mostly laughable but with a few moments of worth.

I save my baseball sadness for guys like Dave Dravecky. This is a guy who let his megalomania do everything to himself.

I'll be happy to see Bud Selig leave town if no other reason than his decision to make the All Star game count for the World Series, and for his intentional blind eye to steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post
    Why is it sad? The way I see it, everything that has happened to ARod is his own fault or his own choice. Whether or not a person agrees or disagrees with him, he made the choices and dictated his life's course.

I don't see any bad breaks or circumstances out of his control. Comparing him to people from literature, he isn't Pip from Great Expecations. At best he is Sir John Falstaff or Pan Zagloba, mostly laughable but with a few moments of worth.

I save my baseball sadness for guys like Dave Dravecky. This is a guy who let his megalomania do everything to himself.

I'll be happy to see Bud Selig leave town if no other reason than his decision to make the All Star game count for the World Series, and for his intentional blind eye to steroids.
    I'm not saying A-Rod didn't bring this all on himself. I guess "sucks" would have been more appropriate than "sad." A-Rod was supposed to be so much more. As an 8-11 year old kid in the late 90's I thought he was awesome. Turns out he's a huge douche.
    "I go all out, and I'm going to bring that to the table everyday. In good times and in bad times." - Eric Byrnes
    "As long as I have fun playing, the stats will take care of themselves." - Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesky5 View Post
    I'm not saying A-Rod didn't bring this all on himself. I guess "sucks" would have been more appropriate than "sad." A-Rod was supposed to be so much more. As an 8-11 year old kid in the late 90's I thought he was awesome. Turns out he's a huge douche.
    I agree, with an even closer attachment to the young Alex - he and I are the same age. There he was doing exactly what I had always dreamed of, at the same age I was, and exceeding any dreams I ever had as a smaller slap-hitting middle infielder! I was all about A-Rod being an all time great, until the curtain was lifted on him and he continued to make more and more bad choices.

I agree with Toledo here, I don't think it is sad what he has become or what he did to his legacy. Certainly not like guys that were forced out beyond their control, Dravecky being a great example (and a pitcher I really liked on those Padres teams of the mid-1980s).

Right now the voting is nearly even, and I don't understand why there's so much negativity toward Selig. I think he's done a good job.

I flipped a coin, and it came up A-Rod.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I flipped a coin, and it came up A-Rod.
    Darn, you already voted. I was going to plead with you to do a best of 7. Selig is campaigning for votes...

This is a tough one. I can't decide. I hate them both so much.
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010 and 2012

Fire Bam Bam! Hire The Thrill!!

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Darn, you already voted. I was going to plead with you to do a best of 7. Selig is campaigning for votes...
    Hey, no big deal, I'll vote again. I'm from Chicago.
    "Tactics were resorted to, unworthy of fair, manly players" - Brooklyn Eagle, June 12,1890

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    Hey, no big deal, I'll vote again. I'm from Chicago.
    HA! That's what we say about people in Louisiana down here! When I lived up north, it was always the joke with Chicago politics.

Dislike like them both, but went with Selig.

While yes Selig is just a puppet of the owners. It is things that him and the owners have done to baseball that I dislike more.
    1972, 1985, 1990 work stoppage, 1981 and 1994-1995 strike, Collusion I II and III, knowing players where using steroids and allowing it to go on, 2002 All-Star game, Wild-Card, etc....

Rodriguez is just a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds5 View Post
    Dislike like them both, but went with Selig.

While yes Selig is just a puppet of the owners. It is things that him and the owners have done to baseball that I dislike more.
    1972, 1985, 1990 work stoppage, 1981 and 1994-1995 strike, Collusion I II and III, knowing players where using steroids and allowing it to go on, 2002 All-Star game, Wild-Card, etc....

Rodriguez is just a jerk.
    Pinning all of the blame on Selig (and the owners) for that stuff doesn't make any sense.
    Last edited by 9&10; 11-28-2013 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    Pinning all of the blame on Selig (and the owners) for that stuff doesn't make any sense.
    If you want to. You can but the blame on the labor disputes on the players for wanting what most workers want or have. A choice of where you work at when your work contract runs out, a better pension plan, higher pay, salary arbitration. They should have just been thankful to their masters and accepted whatever was offered and let their masters choose where they where employed at for life....right.

But the poll question isn't "Who do you like the least, MLB players or Bud Selig?, But is about "Who do you like the least Alex Rodriguez vs. Bud Selig?"

If the owners and Bud Selig wouldn't have turned a blind eye on the steroid issue. We wouldn't having this issue with Alex Rodriguez and Bud Selig.

Thumbs up

No contest. It's A-Roid. To me, he's just a smug punk. He never respected the game or the players who came before him.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    I agree with your words about Selig. I think baseball is thriving, and Selig has had a big part in it.
    I also agree on your viewpoint about Selig. In my opinion, he's been a progressive commissioner who wasn't afraid to make changes for the betterment of the game.
    Ken Fougère

Eight Time & Current
    World Series Champions

Quote Originally Posted by KenFougere View Post

No contest. It's A-Roid. To me, he's just a smug punk. He never respected the game or the players who came before him.

I also agree on your viewpoint about Selig. In my opinion, he's been a progressive commissioner who wasn't afraid to make changes for the betterment of the game.
    So "A-Roid" doesn't respect the players who came before him but Selig is a progressive man? Nothing screams progress like attempting to rig free agency so that teams can resign their superstars at below market value, oh, and he did this 3 times. That's as new school as it gets. Not like from 1881 to the mid 70's when players were free to sign with whoever they want. When the players are totally treated like chattel then Buds progressive movement will be complete. Yea, Bud sure is progressive.

Quote Originally Posted by 9&10 View Post
    Then you know nothing of the circumstances behind that stuff.

Bud Selig...

In the mid - 1980's there was an agreement among owners, convinced by Peter Ueberroth and headed by "The Great Lakes Gang" as dubbed by Sporting News: Bud Selig, Carl Pohlad [Twins], Pete O'Malley, Stanton Cook [Cubs] and Jerry Reinsdorf, not to sign other teams FA's [collusion]. In the '85-'86 off-season 29 of 33 FA's stayed with their former team. By '86-'87 FA salaries were dropping. A lawsuit was filed and the owners had to pay $280 million in damages to the players.

There were actually three different collusion cases filed against the owners. A nice Maury Allen piece: http://www.bizofbaseball.com/docs/Br...r_Blunders.pdf

“The Union basically doesn't trust the ownership because collusion was a $280 million theft by Selig and [Jerry] Reinsdorf of that money from the players. I mean, they rigged the signing of free agents. They got caught. They paid $280 million to the players. And I think that’s polluted labor relations in baseball ever since it happened. I think it’s the reason Fehr has no trust in Selig.” - Fay Vincent

"[The owners conduct was] tantamount to fixing, not just games, but entire pennant races, including all post-season series." - Marvin Miller

Vincent was [basically, he technically resigned] voted out as commissioner and Bud installed on an interim [term used loosely, obviously] six year term.

Just two years later Selig and the owners went to war with the players [imagine that]. The World Series was cancelled. Bud managed to spin enough blame on the players that fans also put blame on Donald Fehr and worse - the players themselves.

Bud, an opponent of Vincents WC proposal, expands the playoffs.

On January 4, 1995, five bills aimed at ending the baseball strike were introduced into Congress.[32][33] The next day, Donald Fehr declared all 895 unsigned Major League players to be free agents in response to unilateral contract changes made by the owners.[34] On January 10, arbitrator Thomas Roberts awarded 11 players a total of almost $10 million as a result of collusion charges brought against the owners. On January 26, both players and owners were ordered by President Bill Clinton to resume bargaining and reach an agreement by February 6. Unfortunately, President Clinton's deadline came and went with no resolution of the strike. Just five days earlier, the owners agreed to revoke the salary cap and return to the old agreement.

We all know that big HR numbers fueled by steroids and Ripkens chase of Gehrig [credit where credit is due] "saved baseball." From what, though? From Bud Selig and his criminal friends, of course. The seeds were sewn to allow the steroid era to thrive, because baseball needed money, again, why, because Bud Selig and his greedy buddies caused its demise in the first place.

Fay Vincent has also been critical of Major League Baseball's handling of the dreaded strike in 1994. Some observers feel that Vincent's absence (or any other permanent commissioner at the time) could have been a decisive turn in finding a compromise agreement. While being interviewed for ESPN Classic's SportsCentury (about the year in sports in 1994), Vincent believed that the strike turned out to be a lost cause since the end result was federal judge Sonia Sotomayor ruling that work had to resume under the previous collective bargaining agreement. Vincent has hinted that he believes that the strike was instigated by the owners (including his successor Bud Selig) who were frustrated by their diminishing power over the MLBPA. Vincent strongly believes that the cancellation of the World Series in 1994 (the first time that there wasn't a World Series played in 90 years) was a major mistake.

1998: Brewers join the NL.

To put it simply:
    Speaking of moving franchises, does anyone remember the Montreal Expos? Their last owner — before MLB, that is — was Jeffrey Loria. Loria bought a stake in the Expos for twelve million dollars in 1999, and through other partners dropping out, wound up with 94% control of the team. Loria didn’t very much like Canada, though — it was cold up there, people spoke French, the taxes were high, and the city of Montreal refused to fund a new stadium (sound familiar?). Meantime, the owner of the Marlins — John Henry — really wanted to own the Boston Red Sox instead. So, Bud Selig waved his magic wand and poof! Loria owned the Marlins, Henry owned the Bosox, and MLB wound up with the Expos. - Joe Janish

While Loria inherited a Marlins team that would win the 2003 World Series, MLB was sabotaging the Expos worse than the lawsuit imagined. The league sent the Expos to San Juan, Puerto Rico, for 22 "home" games. Nonetheless, they were tied for the wild-card lead on Aug. 28. MLB then refused to allow the Expos any September call-ups, leaving them wildly short-handed compared to their opponents and exacerbating their fade. - Jeff Passan http://sports.yahoo.com/news/marlins...ves-blame.html

Then of course there were plans to contract the Twins. One of Bud's good friends, Carl Pohlad, who assisted in Buds corrupt rise to commissioner, owned the team, so they posture for a new stadium. If they don't get one he can contract the Twins and give his buddy a new team in a couple years, plus get rid of a Brewers competitor for TV rights in the north mid-west.

McCourt = gone, Wilpon = stay, of course the Wilpons are close friends with Bud.

In 2005 Fay Vincent claimed MLB expanded, in part, to pay off the collusion case.

2013: The Astros will begin play in the AL, because Bud feels "...continuity is important."

[32] Dodd, Mike (January 5, 1995). "Congress introduces antitrust-repeal bills". USA Today: p. 1C.
    [33] Newhan, Ross (January 5, 1995). "Teams Prepare for Replacements Baseball: Committee discusses contingencies for playing in '95". The Los Angeles Times: p. C2. "Five bills pertaining to repeal of the game's antitrust exemption were introduced in Congress on the first day of the new session."
    [34] Chass, Murray (January 6, 1995). "Unsigned Players Called Free Agents". The New York Times: p. B12

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast