Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Little League To Change Age Cut-Off Rules In 2015 For Boys?

Little League To Change Age Cut-Off Rules In 2015 For Boys?

I was going to post this in the Amateur Baseball forum. But, it doesn't look like there's much action there.

I heard today that there's a strong rumor that Little League baseball is going to move the league age cut-off from 4/30 to 12/31 in 2015 (for the boys) since they don't want 13-year olds playing in the Little League World Series.

Anyone else hear this?

Any theories on how travel teams will handle it?

Fishing around, I just saw this posted somewhere else:

It is on the agenda for the LL April 2014 Congress:

Item 1 – Affects Regulation IV – The Players – All Divisions of Baseball and Challenger

(a) Little League (Majors) Division:

Any candidate who will attain the age of 9 years on or before December 31 and who will not attain the age of 13 on or before December 31 of the year in question shall be eligible to compete in Little League Baseball (subject to the local league board of directors alignment of this division). This means that a child who will be 12 years old on December 31 or earlier, is eligible to play that year; a child who will be 13 years old on December 31 or earlier will not be eligible for either local league play or tournament play at anytime during the calendar year in question. NOTE: League age 12 year olds may participate in Minor Division under certain circumstances.

Minor League Division: Any candidate who will attain the age of 7 years on or before December 31 and who will not attain the age of 13 on or before December 31 of the year in question shall be eligible to compete in the Minor League Division Baseball (subject to the local league board of directors alignment of this division). This means that a child who will be 12 years old on December 31 or earlier, is eligible to play that year; a child who will be 13 years old on December 31 or earlier will not be eligible for either local league play or tournament play at any time during the calendar year in question.
    Last edited by BBSG; 12-16-2013 at 06:48 PM.

From the same source:
    A whole bunch of kids would be screwed out of their "12" year in the transition. Any kid turning 13 from May 1 to Dec 31 would no longer be eligible.

Some more on how it will be different from softball:

Softball is currently written to be as your age that you WERE on December 31.

The baseball proposal is written as what age you WILL HAVE OBTAINED on December 31 of the CURRENT calendar year.

OK, so, someone help me out with this - because I am so bad at understanding rules that seem to be written by lawyers.

Say you have two kids.

Player A was born on 4/15/2004. And, Player B was born on 5/30/2003.
    Today, Player A is 9.6 years old. And, Player B is 10.6 years old.

In 2015, using the old 4/30 age cutoff, Player A would be 11.04 years old and Player B would be 11.92 years old. And, both are considered under age 12 for the Little League age.

However, in 2015, using the proposed 12/31 cutoff, Player A would be 11.7 years old and Player B would be 12.6 years old. So, only Player A would be considered under age 12 for Little League in 2015. And, Player B would be a "13U" player.

Am I understanding this correct?

One thing I see happen if this passes is that more Major divisions will be phased out for 50/70. Our league has already started to do go that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel21 View Post
    One thing I see happen if this passes is that more Major divisions will be phased out for 50/70. Our league has already started to do go that direction.
    I think you're right. LL is going to lose programs with dumb rules changes like this. The program where I coach made the switch from LL to Cal Ripken about 5 or 6 years ago. Most of the programs here in metro Atlanta have left Little League and are now Dizzy Dean or Cal Ripken.
    Last edited by Bedhead514; 12-16-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedhead514 View Post
    I think you're right. LL is going to lose programs with dumb rules changes like this. The program where I coach made the switch from LL to Cal Ripken about 5 or 6 years ago. Most of the programs here in metro Atlanta have left Little League and are now Dizzy Dean or Cal Ripken.
    Big time. My local is moving to Ripken this year because let's face it, it's more relevant...

It's dumb to try and keep 13-years olds, some as large as men, off a 40/60 field and force them to play on a 50/70 field?

Quote Originally Posted by BBSG View Post
    It's dumb to try and keep 13-years olds, some as large as men, off a 40/60 field and force them to play on a 50/70 field?
    LL needs to go 50/70 at 11, not 13 years old...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemosupremo View Post
    Agreed, for the good 11 year olds. That said, my 9-year old played against some 11-year olds this fall who barely had any business being on a 40/60 field. They would have really suffered with an extra ten feet.

That is what our 50/70 league is, 11-13 year olds. We have have AAA division for better players and a AA division for the kids who will take longer to adapt to the bigger dimensions. That is pretty much why our major division has been phased out.

I am still trying to get my arms around how this impacts travel teams. Say that travel leagues and tournaments also use the new 12/31 cutoff...
    So, does that mean, for the May to December birthdays, if they are 11u in 2014, then, come 2015, they will be 13U and lose their chance to be 12U?

I am still trying to get my arms around how this impacts travel teams. Say that travel leagues and tournaments also use the new 12/31 cutoff...
    So, does that mean, for the May to December birthdays, if they are 11u in 2014, then, come 2015, they will be 13U and lose their chance to be 12U?
    I doubt travel teams will adopt this because they already use a bigger playing field. My son is a pitcher and I can tell you that last season as an 11yr old it was downright scary watching him pitch to 6' tall kids in LL from 46'. It's a death wish...

I doubt travel teams will adopt this because they already use a bigger playing field. My son is a pitcher and I can tell you that last season as an 11yr old it was downright scary watching him pitch to 6' tall kids in LL from 46'. It's a death wish...
    By me, they don't. Travel teams don't go from 40/60 to 50/70 until 11U - sans a few exceptional 10U teams that may play at 50/70.

By me, they don't. Travel teams don't go from 40/60 to 50/70 until 11U - sans a few exceptional 10U teams that may play at 50/70.
    Yeah, we are 50/70 at 10U...

FYI... We were playing 50/70 at 9u Travel USSSA and AAU here in Orlando...

Most leagues/tournaments around here are 50/70 starting at 11U. At 10U and 9U you see a wide range of field dimensions with 65' seeming to be the norm starting at 9U.

From the same source:
    I don't think so...The article states that there will be a transition year. For example my son is 11U in 2014, and would be 12U in 2015 when this rule takes affect. He will turn 13 in September of that year, but he'd still be able to play.

But unless a league changes their ages to allow 9U players in majors, you are basically looking at kids playing 2 years in majors instead of 3.
    Last edited by AdamInNY; 12-17-2013 at 11:37 AM.

That's what I heard - that LL's goal here is to take away that "Age 13" season of playing "Little League" (aka the Majors division).

Blog Entries
    I like the idea for all of youth ball. It would keep the division somehwt consistent with grade level. As it is now, you have 12u dominated by the teams full of seventh graders when it was traditionally for the sixth grade level.

I think other sports do it by grade. I know our rec basketball league does it by grade. Not sure on the other sports?

This would benefit my son greatly as he has an April birthday but wow this could really change the make up of most leagues.

Mine is another late April birthday. If travel adopts the rule, he would go from always being the youngest kid on the team to being closer to the middle. But, someone will always be the kid who gets screwed by the cutoff, right?

Yes and in this case it will be December babies. I never liked the change to April 30 in the first place. I liked July 31.

I'm mixed on this. Obviously for personal reasons I like it but seems drastic.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast