X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BiZmaRK
    • Jul 2008

Who will win the World Series in 2014?

We're about 1.5 weeks into the season, but let's see what people are thinking.
    Marlins
    0.00%
    Rockies
    0.00%
    Reds
    0.00%
    Rays
    9.52%
    Mariners
    0.00%
    Pirates
    9.52%
    Braves
    0.00%
    Twins
    4.76%
    Red Sox
    0.00%
    Astros
    0.00%
    Brewers
    0.00%
    Mets
    0.00%
    Rangers
    0.00%
    Cubs
    4.76%
    Yankees
    4.76%
    Diamondbacks
    0.00%
    Cardinals
    14.29%
    Phillies
    0.00%
    Padres
    0.00%
    Royals
    4.76%
    Orioles
    0.00%
    Dodgers
    9.52%
    Tigers
    9.52%
    Blue Jays
    0.00%
    Giants
    14.29%
    White Sox
    4.76%
    Nationals
    0.00%
    A's
    4.76%
    Indians
    0.00%
    Angels
    4.76%
    Holding a pitcher accountable for how many runs his team scores is like holding the designated hitter accountable for how many runs his team allows.

An individual statistic is meaningful only if it is based strictly on what the player does and not on what the other players on his team do.

Contrary to what most baseball fans claim, a pitched ball which is hit into play is not a strike.
  • Herr28
    A Midsummer Knight
    • Jan 2012

I have no idea who will win it, but I would like to see the Royals win! As long as they are playing a team that doesn't have any connection to red songbirds.
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Comment

• Rich the Giants fan
      Stretch 44
      • Feb 2009

Somebody really voted for the Twins? I'd like to know the logic behind that.
      San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
        IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
        • Feb 2005

I have it narrowed down between about 17 possible teams.
        1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
        The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• ol' aches and pains
          A Gametime Decision
          • Apr 2008

Kansas City Royals. You heard it here first.

EDIT: Actually you didn't hear it here first. You heard it three posts above mine. Wish I'd seen it.
          Last edited by ol' aches and pains; 04-11-2014, 11:52 AM. Reason: Great minds think alike!
          They call me Mr. Baseball. Not because of my love for the game; because of all the stitches in my head.

Comment

• dominik
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Bothrops Atrox View Post
            I have it narrowed down between about 17 possible teams.
            17?

I see the red sox, tigers and rangers being serious competitors in the AL and the Cards, dodgers, giants and maybe reds competing in the AL.

the Os, rays, As, braves, nats, and pirates can make the PS but I don't see anyone of them being good enough to win it all.

I feel that an AL Team wins in 2014, I pick the tigers.
            I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Comment

• Bothrops Atrox
              IDC/ZRC/NJC*/*
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by dominik View Post
              17?

I see the red sox, tigers and rangers being serious competitors in the AL and the Cards, dodgers, giants and maybe reds competing in the AL.

the Os, rays, As, braves, nats, and pirates can make the PS but I don't see anyone of them being good enough to win it all.

I feel that an AL Team wins in 2014, I pick the tigers.
              I said possible teams. I agree that there are 6-7 that are more likely. Not feeling the Reds though. Good starting 5 and Joey Votto and not much else. But once a team is in the PS, they can win it all. Look at all of the NL teams that have won championships since the Mets...not a single one of the 10 has had over 94 wins.
              Last edited by Bothrops Atrox; 04-11-2014, 06:04 AM.
              1885 1886 1926 1931 1934 1942 1944 1946 1964 1967 1982 2006 2011

1887 1888 1928 1930 1943 1968 1985 1987 2004 2013

1996 2000 2001 2002 2005 2009 2012 2014 2015

The Top 100 Pitchers In MLB History
              The Top 100 Position Players In MLB History

Comment

• baseball junkie
                mostly hydrogen + oxygen
                • Feb 2003

I voted for the San Francisco Giants. Honestly, I didn't even consult the standings before making the pick but we're so early into the season, probably doesn't matter much. My reasoning behind the pick, with all the pitching the Giants have—Hudson, Cain, Romo, Lincecum and Bumgarner—it will be awfully hard for them to not at least qualify for the playoffs.

And with their excellent defense, outstanding pitching, solid play by Posey, Sandoval and Pence, I think they're probably one break-out player away—maybe this is Brandon Belt's year—from being the most dangerous team in the National League.

What, am I implying that the Dodgers are more of a haphazardly assortment of All-Stars collected and put on a lineup card than a real team? Yes, yes I am.

EDIT: Phrasing
                Last edited by baseball junkie; 04-11-2014, 06:11 AM.
                “I see great things in baseball.”
                Walt Whitman

Comment

• GiambiJuice
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by baseball junkie View Post
                  I voted for the San Francisco Giants. Honestly, I didn't even consult the standings before making the pick but we're so early into the season, probably doesn't matter much. My reasoning behind the pick, with all the pitching the Giants have—Hudson, Cain, Romo, Lincecum and Bumgarner—it will be awfully hard for them to not at least qualify for the playoffs.
                  Where have you been the last two years? Lincecum is one of the worst starting pitchers in baseball.
                  My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
                  2. Barry Bonds
                  3. Ty Cobb
                  4. Ted Williams
                  5. Willie Mays
                  6. Alex Rodriguez
                  7. Hank Aaron
                  8. Honus Wagner
                  9. Lou Gehrig
                  10. Mickey Mantle

Comment

• toomanyhatz
                    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
                    Somebody really voted for the Twins? I'd like to know the logic behind that.
                    There's a few curious votes. The Cubs? The A's? The Angels aren't looking particularly likely either, though there's a lot of talent on that team. Maybe if their pitching comes together, but it seems a bit scattershot.

I voted Dodgers- they really do have the biggest collection of talent- but I never count the Giants out.
                    Found in a fortune cookie On Thursday, August 18th, 2005: "Hard words break no bones, Kind words butter no parsnips."

1955 1959 1963 1965 1981 1988 2020

Comment

• Yankillaz
                      I smell Sex and Candy
                      • Feb 2006

The Cardinals. There's something telling me the Pirates and the Reds are going to regress, the Nationals will have their annual Strasburg and Werth injuries that put their title hopes in jeopardy, and the Dodgers...well, in the past 30 years, the WS winners with the highest payrolls: 2009, 1999, 1996, 1993, 1992. That's it, and only two teams: Toronto Blue Jays and New York Yankees. So I'm very confident in SL chances to come out of the NL. Now, in the AL, there's a huge turnmoil. We have two seasons without telling sure which is the best team in the AL East. The Tigers are running so smoothly in the AL Central that they'll be to rested to play in the playoffs, and the AL West is Oakland's to lose, they always win the regular season and then lose in the playoffs. Therefore, my WS match: Det. vs. SL, and I think that StLs Pen is too deep to lose.
                      "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
                      George Brett

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
                        OSHA-certified Moderator
                        • Jan 2000

Originally posted by toomanyhatz View Post
                        There's a few curious votes. The Cubs? The A's? The Angels aren't looking particularly likely either, though there's a lot of talent on that team. Maybe if their pitching comes together, but it seems a bit scattershot.

I voted Dodgers- they really do have the biggest collection of talent- but I never count the Giants out.
                        I'm thinking some are voting based on it's April 11 (as I type this, the poll was started earlier) and it's not really being thought about yet.
                        Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
                        Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
                        Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
                        Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
                        Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• Stolensingle
                          • Nov 2012

If the Cubs, Marlins and Astros are going to be serious choices in the poll, then there should be additional, just as probable choices such as:

No WS, players go on strike
                          WS cancelled because of massive terrorist attack
                          WS cancelled because all the players on one of the pennant winning teams are killed in a plane crash
                          WS cancelled because most of the starters on one of the pennant winning teams test positive for PEDs

Comment

• 1905 Giants
                            Early Baseball Fan
                            • Apr 2006

If Billy Hamilton gets going the Reds will make it.
                            "The first draft of anything is crap." - Ernest Hemingway

There's no such thing as an ultimate stat.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X