Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Players Who Deserve Their Own Biopics

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude Paskert View Post
    They would need to be careful about recreating the textures of the mold growing on the place.

And, yes, I did visit the park many times. When I was a boy, my mother starting taking us to County Stadium to see the White Sox because she hated Comiskey so much. Still visited now and again up to seeing McGwire and Canseco's A's visit not long before the demolition. Sorry to insult anybody who liked the place, but I always thought it was just a dismal stadium.

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, a Durocher flick could be very entertaining.
    It's Hollywood, so there's no question Comiskey would still be the "Baseball Palace of the World".

Old Hoss Radbourn
    Moe Berg
    RIP - HGF [1937-2009]

Bumping this thread, and with the intent of bringing up a name which hasn't yet been mentioned from what I've read: Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Proper research for the movie script might be necessary. I read some time ago that in his time in WWI Pete Alexander was close to an explosion which may have involved chemicals, including one similar to Agent Orange, and later developed epileptic seizures as a result. Even if this is remotely true, it would be interesting. The material I read, possibly from the SABR publications I received as a member of SABR for more than two decades, suggested that he developed into an alcoholic to 'hide' his seizures. The need to 'self-medicate' seemed to ward off the seizures.

Was all that conjecture, or was it legitimate? Whatever the results of some research might be, he was a WWI hero who happened to return, and then continued to pitch at a very high level. His 1926 WS heroics may have resulted while 'self-medicated' as legend has it. If the rumor on this is true, then this story is Ken Burns material. If the rumor is false, then Pete Alexander's story can still be told as a regular movie.

FWTW, I'll have to put in one more vote for Clemente. The story of his demise is timeless, and he was a prize talent and personality worthy of a bio film.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Quote Originally Posted by abolishthedh View Post
    Bumping this thread, and with the intent of bringing up a name which hasn't yet been mentioned from what I've read: Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Proper research for the movie script might be necessary. I read some time ago that in his time in WWI Pete Alexander was close to an explosion which may have involved chemicals, including one similar to Agent Orange, and later developed epileptic seizures as a result. Even if this is remotely true, it would be interesting. The material I read, possibly from the SABR publications I received as a member of SABR for more than two decades, suggested that he developed into an alcoholic to 'hide' his seizures. The need to 'self-medicate' seemed to ward off the seizures.

Was all that conjecture, or was it legitimate? Whatever the results of some research might be, he was a WWI hero who happened to return, and then continued to pitch at a very high level. His 1926 WS heroics may have resulted while 'self-medicated' as legend has it. If the rumor on this is true, then this story is Ken Burns material. If the rumor is false, then Pete Alexander's story can still be told as a regular movie.

FWTW, I'll have to put in one more vote for Clemente. The story of his demise is timeless, and he was a prize talent and personality worthy of a bio film.
    Shalom, y'all!
    What's the rumpus?

Never saw the movie The Winning Team, but most reviewers have not recommended it. Bill James himself has called it awful, although he isn't a movie expert. If the effect of chemical warfare is accurate, then his story in that movie deserves a remake or a completely new take on his biography.
    Catfish Hunter, RIP. Mark Fidrych, RIP. Skip Caray, RIP. Tony Gwynn, #19, RIP

A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. -- Winston Churchill.

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test first and the lesson later. -- Dan Quisenberry.

Quote Originally Posted by abolishthedh View Post
    Never saw the movie The Winning Team, but most reviewers have not recommended it. Bill James himself has called it awful, although he isn't a movie expert. If the effect of chemical warfare is accurate, then his story in that movie deserves a remake or a completely new take on his biography.
    I didn't say it was a good movie. I got the impression from your post that you didn't know it existed.
    Shalom, y'all!
    What's the rumpus?

Robert Redford would have been great as Christy Mathewson.

Nah, it's too corny, nobody'd ever believe it ...

Hank Greenberg 1945: after four years in the service, he went from a US Army Air uniform in June to a Detroit Tigers uniform in July to a pennant-clinching grand slam on the final day of the season in September.
    Last edited by westsidegrounds; 09-10-2016 at 05:22 PM.

Blog Entries
    Somebody up above me mentioned Moe Berg and he would be the PERFECT movie subject. And one would not have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Somebody up above me mentioned Moe Berg and he would be the PERFECT movie subject. And one would not have to be a baseball fan to enjoy it.
    There's a movie coming out next year based on the book The Catcher Was a Spy based on Moe Berg's life.

I'd like to see something on Jeremiah Dennis Denny (aka Jerry Denny), who was the last MLB player to play without a glove. More than that, he live a very interesting "double life" where he played college ball and pro ball at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    Clemente is an all time favorite of mine but he made some serious errors in judgement that led to his own death

I don't claim 100% accurate recall from the Bio I read 10-12 years ago, but

1) he did not add himself as security to a plane of items going to Nicaragua but tried to do something on his own, although he knew nothing about airplanes, airplane and flight safety etc
    2) he commandeered an old airplane in poor shape that had not been used in a while that was just sitting on the side of an airport, it was not a wise choice
    3) he found a pilot who might be able to fly the plane but the pilot was not particularly good and had little or no experience with the airplane, it was not a wise choice
    4) the plane was WAY overloaded - way too much weight
    5) even then, the weight was not distributed properly, the plane was even seen bulging in an odd way on the runway
    6) the plane had difficulty starting and firing properly
    7) etc etc

for all his desire to help earthquake victims which was very commendable, he made a series of very poor and odd choices that led directly to his death
    We weren't there, but it was a very chaotic situation, and Clemente was counting on other people to do their jobs. Anytime we talk about lack of judgment, the recent case of Jose Fernandez comes to mind. I think Clemente's biggest mistake was trusting other people, but he thought the relief supplies could save lives, so he pushed on for the flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Dreamer View Post
    It wasn't any believable then. Same thing with Gary Cooper playing Gehrig. History is not kind to those old films.
    Old hollywood was always really bad at the sports parts of sports movies. The Babe Ruth Story comes to mind (even though the John Goodman version is probably worse). But Anthony Perkins (Fear Strikes Out) and Tab Hunter (Damn Yankees (not a bio pic, but a baseball musical)) showed that producers thought baseball realism was secondary, haha.
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Quote Originally Posted by 9RoyHobbsRF View Post
    who I DON'T want to see or hear any more about:
    1) Cobb
    2) Ruth
    3) The Black Sox
    4) Ted Williams
    I would say if they did a truthful movie about Ruth that showed his flaws, but also showed how much an athletic freak he was early would be nice.

The two most memorable movies both present the idea that Ruth was a fat guy who could hit, which misses the mark.

But I agree with the rest.

We do not need to see another film about Cobb being crabby, and the Black Sox have been done right IMO. Also, what would be the arc of the Ted Williams movie? I mean sure, he served in two wars which is totally interesting, but what is his low point? Would the movie be

1) Ted is amazing hitter
    2) Ted goes to war
    3) Ted is amazing hitter
    4) Ted goes to war
    5) Ted is amazing hitter
    6) Ted goes fishing

while arguing with journalists?

Sounds boring, haha.
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123