Thread: A Ken Williams book

A Ken Williams book

Excited to say I have signed a contract with McFarland Publishing to publish my manuscript on a Ken Williams bio. I am just putting the finishing touches on it and deliver it in a couple of week, but not sure yet when it will be out. I hope St. Louis Browns fans (and, of course, anyone else) will enjoy it.

I thought your "As Good As It Got: The 1944 St. Louis Browns" book was phenomenal, and recommend it every chance I get. I'll be ordering a copy of your Ken Williams book as soon as it's available for pre-order on Amazon.
    See My Baseball Card Project: www.infinitecardset.blogspot.com

See My Vintage Sports Posters: www.cieradkowskidesign.blogspot.com

Wow, thank you. Really appreciate it. You made my day.

Dave, how goes this? I'm really looking forward to your book.

PS - stop by my 1920's/1930's thread, I'd love for you to comment on Ken Williams.
    "Let me tell you the story of the 1999 Cubs. On June 9, they were 32-24, leading the Wild Card race, and looked bound for another playoff appearance. Then the White Sox came to Wrigley for the Crosstown Series and swept them. They finished 67-95."

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for three days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Appreciate the interest. The book is still in the production phase, so to speak, although I've seen the cover so I know it will be on the way soon enough.

Dave, I was checking the release date for your book on Amazon. I'm happy to see that its set for release on October 7th (my brother's birthday!).

My question is the price point of $35. While I'm a crazy 1920's/1930's fan and will pay that for a full bio, do you think that might be a bit high for the more casual fan? Who sets the price point, you or Amazon? I'm wondering if that might affect sales a lot.
    "Let me tell you the story of the 1999 Cubs. On June 9, they were 32-24, leading the Wild Card race, and looked bound for another playoff appearance. Then the White Sox came to Wrigley for the Crosstown Series and swept them. They finished 67-95."

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for three days (baseball signatures only!)

Appreciate your continued interest. I don't set the price - or the release date. In fact, I didn't know of it until you just wrote that (and it still might be an approximate). If I learn anything will certainly pass it along. Thanks again!

This stinks - book is now scheduled for Dec. 31 release.

FWIW I haven't been given a release date, so I think Amazon just approximates. But it does seem like it will be winter not fall as I haven't seen the proofs yet ... hey, just in time for the holidays! Thanks again for your interest!

For those interested, the book heads to the printer this week and I'm told it takes 2-3 weeks after that to hit the proverbial shelves. I did a ton of research on this and I hope that whomever reads it will find it interesting and worthwhile.

Blog Entries
    I'd be interested. Maybe you could post a link so those interested could purchase, and for your sake one that puts more money in your pocket and less in the various middlemen.

Quote Originally Posted by PVNICK View Post
    I'd be interested. Maybe you could post a link so those interested could purchase, and for your sake one that puts more money in your pocket and less in the various middlemen.
    I appreciate that. Here's the link to McFarland's site where it can be purchased:
    http://www.mcfarlandbooks.com/book-2...-1-4766-6535-1

Got the email yesterday that the book has been published, so I guess this means it should hit the proverbial bookshelf soon. Hopeful people will enjoy it and all the research and, of course, I am very excited to hold it in my hands soon. I spoke with one of Ken's sons last night to let him know and the sound in his voice made it all worthwhile. Thanks again to any who are interested and give it a read!

Quote Originally Posted by dave_heller View Post
    Got the email yesterday that the book has been published, so I guess this means it should hit the proverbial bookshelf soon. Hopeful people will enjoy it and all the research and, of course, I am very excited to hold it in my hands soon. I spoke with one of Ken's sons last night to let him know and the sound in his voice made it all worthwhile. Thanks again to any who are interested and give it a read!
    Thanks for let us know. Here is a question for you, where is best for you to have us purchase it from? The father of one of my friends is publishing a history book - and he is specifically requesting us to buy from Amazon, to drive up its sales rating, rather than to maximize his short term financial gain.

So would you like us to buy from McFarland (for more gain) or from Amazon (for the potential of more notice)?

Appreciate you asking. To be honest, just do what is best for you.

Blog Entries
    Dave I ordered the book today through McFarland (I try to avoid giving Bezos any money). Tell me, if you know, why the Yankees purchased Ken Williams from the Red Sox in January 1930 even after his season-ending collision. The Yankees even only cut his salary $1500! What good sports!! But he never played a game in a Yankee uniform and somehow ended up on the Portland beavers for a little more than a season. Were the Yankees seriously thinking about putting Kenny in the outfield with Earl Combs and the Babe? That would have given the Yankees six out of eight starters in the Hall of Fame, with four Hall of Famers on the pitching staff. Wow!

The biography done by the Society for American Baseball Research is silent on the issue. But I bet you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Brownieand45sfan View Post
    Dave I ordered the book today through McFarland (I try to avoid giving Bezos any money). Tell me, if you know, why the Yankees purchased Ken Williams from the Red Sox in January 1930 even after his season-ending collision. The Yankees even only cut his salary $1500! What good sports!! But he never played a game in a Yankee uniform and somehow ended up on the Portland beavers for a little more than a season. Were the Yankees seriously thinking about putting Kenny in the outfield with Earl Combs and the Babe? That would have given the Yankees six out of eight starters in the Hall of Fame, with four Hall of Famers on the pitching staff. Wow!

The biography done by the Society for American Baseball Research is silent on the issue. But I bet you know!
    You'll be glad to know that his time with the Yankees, albeit briefly, is covered in the book, so I won't spoil it for you. I am most proud of the research. I did a ton, including finding out about some time in the minors Williams had which has never been reported (at least since it occurred, that is).