Thread: Can Cutch hit 200?

Can Cutch hit 200?

Cutch's average continues to drop. Can he hit 200 this year?

However, he continues to hit home runs. No average, but good power. Looks like Bob Robertson post 1971.

No- he cannot.

So if he can't hit 200, you're thinking what, maybe 185?

Time is running out. Assuming occasional days off and some walks (they're starting to come) Cutch will have 156 more at bats for the season. He'll need to hit .115 in those at bats to reach a .200 full season average.

Experts agree its probably impossible to for Cutch to hit .200 for the season. "You have to start early" said Zoilo Versalles, who hit .200 just two years after being league MVP. "He's spent too much of the year hitting .240 to make it now."

Carlos Pena, who twice hit under .200 as a regular for the Rays agreed with Versailles and added "You also need a manager patient to the point of stupidity to stay in the lineup." The Rays were certainly patient. They let Pena go then a year later signed him again for what ended up as another sub .200 season.

But Pirate management may have that level of patience. They've kept Cutch batting second or third all year and ignored the calls of the number seven batting slot which is a perfect match for Cutch at this point. With the dream of hitting .200 for the year fading into impossibility, there's always next year.

Blog Entries
    What on earth happened to him this year. Is he playing through an injury?

Could be part of it. But I don't know of an injury that causes someone to swing at bad pitches.

Blog Entries
    Good point, though I'm sure if there are data trolls lurking they will find some swing at pitches out of the strike zone percentage chart to snarkily pontificate with. lol
    I only see him against the Mets. Too bad. Among non-Mets he was/is among my favorite players. I have a soft spot for the Pirates dating back to Willie Stargell having a cool baseball card and a unique middle name, which to a little kid was all I needed.

Unique given first name too. What cool card are you talking about?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
    Unique given first name too. What cool card are you talking about?
    Maybe a 1973 Topps card. Of course I also may have been awed by the numbers on the back. 300 HR was a big deal back then.

That 300 would have been higher except for the Forbes Field years.