Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758
Results 1,141 to 1,154 of 1154

Thread: 2016-17 Mets Off-Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    An unfortunate epilogue, perhaps, to Parker and his home plate collisions:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...-baseball-past

Though Stearns and Carter were Mets, Parker was a competitor. Another great Mets moment involving him was when he dropped the third out in the 9th inning in the Knight/Davis game. That nonwithstanding, he was probably the best player in baseball in his prime.
    Parker was an excellent player in his prime.

That game in 1986 when he dropped the ball is noted for a few things. The dropped ball by Parker, Orosco/McDowell swapping the mound and RF, Knight punching Davis, I think Gary Carter ended up playing 3rd base in that game. Hojo won it with a 3 run homer.

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynboy View Post
    The big issue with d"Arnaud at the moment appears to be his inability to throw anybody out..And I agree with you, the Brewers wouldn't be that naive..
    Seriously, when Travis catches for Noah it reminds me of the Bugs Bunny when they are doing the conga around the basepaths .

The Mets need to end the d'Arnaud affair

Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    Seriously, when Travis catches for Noah it reminds me of the Bugs Bunny when they are doing the conga around the basepaths .
    North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla

The Mets need to end the d'Arnaud affair
    I agree but obviously its not happening. This is his last shot with the Mets I would think.

We just have to hope he can put up some decent numbers with the bat because this offense is going to need whatever it can get.

Behind the plate............needs massive improvement and I am not sure the skill set is there.

I would think that too but when was the last time Capn Jeff and crew admitted a mistake. The sad part is tat his tradability is near zero..

Typical Mets thinking on this one

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I agree but obviously its not happening. This is his last shot with the Mets I would think.

We just have to hope he can put up some decent numbers with the bat because this offense is going to need whatever it can get.

Behind the plate............needs massive improvement and I am not sure the skill set is there.

Clay Davenport's Projections for 2017
    generated on 3-28-2017
    http://claydavenport.com/projections/PROJHOME.shtml

Washington 90-72
    New York 85-77
    Miami 80-82
    Atlanta 75-87
    Philadelphia 71-91
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Familia only gets 15 games.

I think that is a little odd considering what everyone else received. Although I am a Met fan I don't like that he received basically nothing.

I think that is a little odd considering what everyone else received. Although I am a Met fan I don't like that he received basically nothing.
    I thought it would be 30 game suspension like Chapman. Difference may be that Chapman fired a gun.

Different circumstances, from what's been reported. No actual physical violence in case, but perceived threat of.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Different circumstances, from what's been reported. No actual physical violence in case, but perceived threat of.
    I hear what you are saying but....

Bruises, scratches, knives, police. The wife had bruises on her face and the story was she got them because she fell asleep resting her face on her hand face and it bruised her.

At some point common sense has to kick in, but maybe not.

I hear what you are saying but....

Bruises, scratches, knives, police. The wife had bruises on her face and the story was she got them because she fell asleep resting her face on her hand face and it bruised her.

At some point common sense has to kick in, but maybe not.
    Yeah, Familia was actually suspended for "inappropriate conduct" and not assault. Some details here:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/s...ence.html?_r=0

I tend to always assume the worst in the cases, btw. And it's an epidemic that pro sports can - and should - play a leadership role in combating. But it does seem like this was a "one sizes doesn't fit all" situation.
    Cleon Jones catches a deep fly ball in F. Scott Fitzgerald's Valley of the Ashes, and a second-grader smiles in front of the black and white television.

Straw

You raise a very good point. He was suspended for inappropriate conduct. So what constitutes "inappropriate conduct"? This is a issue which does need to be confronted on a social level..

My point is that if MLB uses the concept of inappropriate conduct, how many others need to be suspended? I totally agree with the fact he should be suspended for his actions but not for this reason.

Every major athlete that threatens his wife/girlfriend should be suspended. However, as in most cases, the wife/girlfriend refuses to press charges for some reason or another.

We as a society, treat this behavior too lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Strawman View Post
    Yeah, Familia was actually suspended for "inappropriate conduct" and not assault. Some details here:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/29/s...ence.html?_r=0

I tend to always assume the worst in the cases, btw. And it's an epidemic that pro sports can - and should - play a leadership role in combating. But it does seem like this was a "one sizes doesn't fit all" situation.

Straw

You raise a very good point. He was suspended for inappropriate conduct. So what constitutes "inappropriate conduct"? This is a issue which does need to be confronted on a social level..

My point is that if MLB uses the concept of inappropriate conduct, how many others need to be suspended? I totally agree with the fact he should be suspended for his actions but not for this reason.

Every major athlete that threatens his wife/girlfriend should be suspended. However, as in most cases, the wife/girlfriend refuses to press charges for some reason or another.

We as a society, treat this behavior too lightly.
    Lets face it the wife/girlfriend doesn't press charges because the guy they are going to get suspended or jailed is also making millions of dollars a year which they reap the benefit of. Lets be honest - Money has everything to do with just about everything. This isn't different. So the cops get called to make it stop, but they don't want the guy in jail or suspended so they drop the charges.

The term inappropriate conduct is complete 100% copout. There are so many things that can fall into that category it would take all day to count them up.

His wife had bruises, and scratches. There were two knives in the bathroom. The reasoning for the bruises is absurd..so much so that a 5 year old wouldn't believe it. What do you think was happening in this situation? Nobody knows for sure because we weren't there, but again...common sense tell you what?

Pauly, I agree with you 100%. You know they are not going to damage their lifestyle... And we both know that MLB's attempt at "punishment" is a feeble attempt to clean up the games/players image.

Then again, look at MLB's attempt to discipline any player...It's a sad comment on all sports.

Lets face it the wife/girlfriend doesn't press charges because the guy they are going to get suspended or jailed is also making millions of dollars a year which they reap the benefit of. Lets be honest - Money has everything to do with just about everything. This isn't different. So the cops get called to make it stop, but they don't want the guy in jail or suspended so they drop the charges.

The term inappropriate conduct is complete 100% copout. There are so many things that can fall into that category it would take all day to count them up.

His wife had bruises, and scratches. There were two knives in the bathroom. The reasoning for the bruises is absurd..so much so that a 5 year old wouldn't believe it. What do you think was happening in this situation? Nobody knows for sure because we weren't there, but again...common sense tell you what?

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758