Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 1154

Thread: 2016-17 Mets Off-Season Thread

  1. #921
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    6,506
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Ty Kelly wasn't a bad utility man. He had a tendency to get on base. I would have let Walker walk, saved the money and given the second base job to Flores. As it stands it's a crowded infield.
    They could have also designated Matt Reynolds or Rafael Montero instead of Kelly.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  2. #922
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Shea Stadium
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    They could have also designated Matt Reynolds or Rafael Montero instead of Kelly.
    I like Ty Kelly. Versatile in the field, gets on base; what's not to like?

    And they just sold Ynoa to the Orioles. You'd think they could have gotten some talent back. He managed to do pretty well in Las Vegas which isn't easy.


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

  3. #923
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,988
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    They could have also designated Matt Reynolds or Rafael Montero instead of Kelly.
    Montero has been a big disappointment. I would have thought he would be a decent relief pitcher at the minimum by now.

  4. #924
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,581
    Based on history with this team I am trying to temper my expectations of the 2017 season, but it is becoming increasingly difficult if you watch the MLBN as much as I do.

    The talking heads (not just the media types, but the ex-players) are picking the Mets to win the division and some don't see how the Nats will be there in the end. Obviously this is based upon the Met pitching health with Matt Harvey being a huge part of the equation. They are also saying the Mets can take the Cubs down.

    I hope they are right, but I still think they are going to need offense from some unidentified source(s) to be that much of a factor.

  5. #925
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    408
    I can see how they would be talking about taking the NL East. Taking down the Cubs?? That's something else. I agree with you..Too many questions and too dependent on unanswered health questions. This team is full of ??
    North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla

  6. #926
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Based on history with this team I am trying to temper my expectations of the 2017 season, but it is becoming increasingly difficult if you watch the MLBN as much as I do.

    The talking heads (not just the media types, but the ex-players) are picking the Mets to win the division and some don't see how the Nats will be there in the end. Obviously this is based upon the Met pitching health with Matt Harvey being a huge part of the equation. They are also saying the Mets can take the Cubs down.

    I hope they are right, but I still think they are going to need offense from some unidentified source(s) to be that much of a factor.
    The odds were updated yesterday. There are currently 7 teams listed ahead of the Mets to win the WS this year. #1 are the Red Sox.

  7. #927
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    408
    I saw where the Cubs dropped to #2..I have never trusted pre season predictions and prolly never will.
    North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla

  8. #928
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynboy View Post
    I saw where the Cubs dropped to #2..I have never trusted pre season predictions and prolly never will.
    True.
    I'd love to see who predicted KC- Mets in 2015.

  9. #929
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,581
    Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    True.
    I'd love to see who predicted KC- Mets in 2015.
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynboy View Post
    I saw where the Cubs dropped to #2..I have never trusted pre season predictions and prolly never will.

    Like many other things they are just a guess based upon statistical data compiled. The games still have to be played, and you cant account for injuries. breakout seasons or off years by players.

  10. #930
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles County
    Posts
    2,617
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Based on history with this team I am trying to temper my expectations of the 2017 season, but it is becoming increasingly difficult if you watch the MLBN as much as I do.

    The talking heads (not just the media types, but the ex-players) are picking the Mets to win the division and some don't see how the Nats will be there in the end. Obviously this is based upon the Met pitching health with Matt Harvey being a huge part of the equation. They are also saying the Mets can take the Cubs down.

    I hope they are right, but I still think they are going to need offense from some unidentified source(s) to be that much of a factor.
    I'm conflicted as to how I feel coming into this season given that this team's just had not one but TWO improbable runs to make the playoffs...2015 obviously infinitely better than 2016, but the latter year DID feel like an accomplishment just to get there with the unbelievable spate of injuries we had. I mean, no team feels "good" to "just make the playoffs" after losing the World Series/Super Bowl/Other Championship the year prior, but getting there with everyone going down and being a Familia meltdown away from continuing an extra-innings 0-0 nail-biter with one of the best postseason pitchers ever on the other side...not at all what we wanted, but in context, far better than we might've expected.

    So between that and the 2015 run (and the fact they play a lot of the good NL teams close--Cubs, Dodgers, Giants though we lost--over the past two seasons we've been "competitive" against those teams, at least) on the one hand I'm tempted to say this team now has a little "seasoning" (not a ton, but a light dusting ) and ready to "trust" them a little more when the going gets tough, as it inevitably will.

    On the OTHER HAND...They. Are. The. Mets. So they will stumble somewhere and something will go wrong with the Fab Four (I'll call it Five if and when Wheeler 1. Actually starts again and 2. Is actually fab, and before Pauly says it 3. That's ALL assuming Harvey, deGrom, and Matz return as Paul, George, and Ringo...otherwise we just have to "Imagine" Syndergaard as our solo ace again ) and Wright will feel a "twinge" in his back at some point and they'll hit offensive dry spells and on and on.

    The question is whether they can/we have faith they can either avoid "as big" of a spell as they've had over the past two seasons at times...or else if they have some experience and mental fortitude to help them get out of jams once they (almost inevitably) get into them.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

  11. #931
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    408
    Interesting to note as I have just read the Mets were not going to conduct contract extension talks with the starting pitching..Makes you wonder??

    Pauly brings up a good point when he says "It's the score after the third out is made" that counts. Everything else is conjecture..
    North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla

  12. #932
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    I'm conflicted as to how I feel coming into this season given that this team's just had not one but TWO improbable runs to make the playoffs...2015 obviously infinitely better than 2016, but the latter year DID feel like an accomplishment just to get there with the unbelievable spate of injuries we had. I mean, no team feels "good" to "just make the playoffs" after losing the World Series/Super Bowl/Other Championship the year prior, but getting there with everyone going down and being a Familia meltdown away from continuing an extra-innings 0-0 nail-biter with one of the best postseason pitchers ever on the other side...not at all what we wanted, but in context, far better than we might've expected.

    So between that and the 2015 run (and the fact they play a lot of the good NL teams close--Cubs, Dodgers, Giants though we lost--over the past two seasons we've been "competitive" against those teams, at least) on the one hand I'm tempted to say this team now has a little "seasoning" (not a ton, but a light dusting ) and ready to "trust" them a little more when the going gets tough, as it inevitably will.

    On the OTHER HAND...They. Are. The. Mets. So they will stumble somewhere and something will go wrong with the Fab Four (I'll call it Five if and when Wheeler 1. Actually starts again and 2. Is actually fab, and before Pauly says it 3. That's ALL assuming Harvey, deGrom, and Matz return as Paul, George, and Ringo...otherwise we just have to "Imagine" Syndergaard as our solo ace again ) and Wright will feel a "twinge" in his back at some point and they'll hit offensive dry spells and on and on.

    The question is whether they can/we have faith they can either avoid "as big" of a spell as they've had over the past two seasons at times...or else if they have some experience and mental fortitude to help them get out of jams once they (almost inevitably) get into them.
    Simple put -- that is why the season is played.

    Right now there are good arguments on both sides (with nobody being right/wrong....yet) that they can win the division or flop out.

    If the pitching stays healthy and they get offense from 3-4 sources - they can be as good as anyone.

    If they get banged up again, and they have the same offensive woes - I can see a non miracle flop season.


    Someone can say (and they will) that you can say that about any team cant you? Well true, but this team is already starting offensively challenged, and they are coming off of a multitude of injuries. So they have some hurdles to jump over out of the gate where as some other top level teams do not.

    Basically how we feel and what we think of the team is a non issue because of two factor 1) they are good enough to win IF IF IF 2) They are bad enough to suck IF IF IF

    We start to fill in the IF's in 6 weeks.

  13. #933
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Shea Stadium
    Posts
    4,523
    Jon Niese was just signed by the Yankees to a Minor League contract.

    If he's healthy he should do better there than he did here. He gets a lot of ground balls and they have a good fielding infield. His hard hit % and HR/FB are a bit below average overall. His BABIP allowed as a Met was high, but the Mets have never made defense a priority. He's been in decline the last couple years, though.

    I still wouldn't be shocked if he performs surprisingly well for them.


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

  14. #934
    WFAN- Niese competing for reliever role.

    Coleman- Walker extension to be announced soon. Hope that means his back is good.

  15. #935
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,581
    Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    WFAN- Niese competing for reliever role.

    Coleman- Walker extension to be announced soon. Hope that means his back is good.
    Niese - good riddance

    Walker - They never even mention his back even to say he is 100%. You would think that with the extension talk he has a clean bill of health,,,,,,,,,,,,,you would think.

  16. #936
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,988
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Niese - good riddance

    Walker - They never even mention his back even to say he is 100%. You would think that with the extension talk he has a clean bill of health,,,,,,,,,,,,,you would think.
    Niese was a good pitcher 3 or 4 years ago. He could become a successful lefty reliever maybe but he isn't someone Met fans should lose sleep over because he got away.

    I am surprised by the Mets wanting to commit long term to Walker. He is a good player but a lot of young pitching will be looking for big bucks in the next three years and they should be able to get production from 2nd base from a somewhat affordable player (Flores)?

  17. #937
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Niese was a good pitcher 3 or 4 years ago. He could become a successful lefty reliever maybe but he isn't someone Met fans should lose sleep over because he got away.

    I am surprised by the Mets wanting to commit long term to Walker. He is a good player but a lot of young pitching will be looking for big bucks in the next three years and they should be able to get production from 2nd base from a somewhat affordable player (Flores)?
    Walker is only signed through this season. Extention talks went nowhere. How is that a long term commitment?

  18. #938
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,988
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    Walker is only signed through this season. Extention talks went nowhere. How is that a long term commitment?
    I think one report today had a LTD imminent (Ed Coleman) and one that said deal was dead (Mike Puma). I guess we will see. I do know they are considering a 3 year extension for about 40 mil. Not sure if the 3 years would be 2018-2020 or the 17 mil for this year would be ripped up and the contract would expire in 2019.
    I like Walker, he is a natural 2b men but a bad back and being in his 30s would make me think twice WITHOUT seeing him play yet this year to prove the injury is a thing of the past.

  19. #939
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Shea Stadium
    Posts
    4,523
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    I think one report today had a LTD imminent (Ed Coleman) and one that said deal was dead (Mike Puma). I guess we will see. I do know they are considering a 3 year extension for about 40 mil. Not sure if the 3 years would be 2018-2020 or the 17 mil for this year would be ripped up and the contract would expire in 2019.
    I like Walker, he is a natural 2b men but a bad back and being in his 30s would make me think twice WITHOUT seeing him play yet this year to prove the injury is a thing of the past.
    It was a case of spending money to save money - a Wilpon paradox.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...it-a-snag.html

    10:21am: Mets GM Sandy Alderson has recently met with Neil Walker’s representatives to work out a contract extension, but talks have recently “hit a snag,” Newsday’s Marc Carig writes. The issue, it seems, is the second baseman’s already-in-place $17.2MM 2017, which he locked in when he accepted the Mets’ qualifying offer last November. It appears the Mets wanted Walker to restructure his 2017 salary as a condition of the extension, in order to free up funds for this year’s club.

    Recent reports have suggested an extension for Walker could be in the three-year, $40MM range. If such a deal were to include 2017, that would essentially amount to an extra two years and $22.8MM for Walker.
    That’s a significant commitment from the Mets’ perspective, but the price also seems reasonable given that Walker’s $17.2MM is already on the books. Walker had season-ending back surgery in September, but as Craig points out, the Mets’ willingness to extend him, and to give the qualifying offer in the first place, reflect confidence that Walker’s health won’t be a major hindrance going forward.

    Walker hit a strong .282/.347/.476 in his first season with the Mets after arriving from Pittsburgh in a trade in the 2015-16 offseason. His defensive numbers also took a turn for the better in New York after years of average to below-average showings with the Pirates. If Walker were to continue to perform well in the coming year, he would enter the 2017-18 offseason as one of the most valuable free-agent infielders available. 2017 will be Walker’s age-31 season, however, and both his age and health record will surely be considerations as the Mets ponder extending him.

    12:10pm: The Mets believe their extension talks with Walker are “probably dead,” Mike Puma of the New York Post tweets.


    Lol.


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

  20. #940
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,988
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    It was a case of spending money to save money - a Wilpon paradox.

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...it-a-snag.html

    10:21am: Mets GM Sandy Alderson has recently met with Neil Walker’s representatives to work out a contract extension, but talks have recently “hit a snag,” Newsday’s Marc Carig writes. The issue, it seems, is the second baseman’s already-in-place $17.2MM 2017, which he locked in when he accepted the Mets’ qualifying offer last November. It appears the Mets wanted Walker to restructure his 2017 salary as a condition of the extension, in order to free up funds for this year’s club.

    Recent reports have suggested an extension for Walker could be in the three-year, $40MM range. If such a deal were to include 2017, that would essentially amount to an extra two years and $22.8MM for Walker.
    That’s a significant commitment from the Mets’ perspective, but the price also seems reasonable given that Walker’s $17.2MM is already on the books. Walker had season-ending back surgery in September, but as Craig points out, the Mets’ willingness to extend him, and to give the qualifying offer in the first place, reflect confidence that Walker’s health won’t be a major hindrance going forward.

    Walker hit a strong .282/.347/.476 in his first season with the Mets after arriving from Pittsburgh in a trade in the 2015-16 offseason. His defensive numbers also took a turn for the better in New York after years of average to below-average showings with the Pirates. If Walker were to continue to perform well in the coming year, he would enter the 2017-18 offseason as one of the most valuable free-agent infielders available. 2017 will be Walker’s age-31 season, however, and both his age and health record will surely be considerations as the Mets ponder extending him.

    12:10pm: The Mets believe their extension talks with Walker are “probably dead,” Mike Puma of the New York Post tweets.


    Lol.
    That makes sense. I would still rather see him play 1st. I also think they could expect to have 2 league minimum salaried infielders starting next year. (Rosario and Smith). As usual, worrying about Freddy and Jeffy's wallet is entertaining but is something I wish I didn't need to care about when trying to figure out the teams plan to put the best players on the field.

Page 47 of 58 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •