Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
Results 961 to 971 of 971

Thread: 2016-17 Mets Off-Season Thread

  1. #961
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    You just know Conforto is going to tear it up in spring training and make the Bruce situation even more complicated.
    I hope so. The Mets need another offensive source, and we all think or hope it comes from Conforto.

    It is just a matter of opportunity for him. If he doesnt hit one day and gets benched the next that his just going to stunt his growth.

  2. #962
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynboy View Post
    I have 55+ years of following the Mets. I know the feeling ol' aches and pains..
    55 years of being a Met fan. Although I am not terribly far behind (45 years) yours just sounds so much worse to me. There have been times it has been like a jail sentence. Then you get paroled for a year then back to the big house.

  3. #963
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    330
    Didn't mind it in the early years i.e.; 62-74 as you knew the team was trying. After that, starting with mad dog Cashen and Omar the Trade Maker, you began to wonder what the heck they were doing.. At least with the Wilpons, you know

    Anyway as Casey used to say..."Amazin, Simply Amazin"!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    55 years of being a Met fan. Although I am not terribly far behind (45 years) yours just sounds so much worse to me. There have been times it has been like a jail sentence. Then you get paroled for a year then back to the big house.
    North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla

  4. #964
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynboy View Post
    Didn't mind it in the early years i.e.; 62-74 as you knew the team was trying. After that, starting with mad dog Cashen and Omar the Trade Maker, you began to wonder what the heck they were doing.. At least with the Wilpons, you know

    Anyway as Casey used to say..."Amazin, Simply Amazin"!!
    I agree the were trying and back then a team basically had to start from scratch.

    The problem is that they walked around with this "lovable loser" moniker and it stuck. It lowered expectations by the fan base. The anti-Yankee approach that the Met fans wanted.....well they got it.

    Then add in a miserable SOB like Wilpon and you have what you have.

    The sad thing is that if this pitching staff is healthy this team could really do some damage. If they had another two hitters they would be a monster team. The Wilponzi's are letting a great opportunity just go by. This is the time to really cash in and they just refuse to.

  5. #965
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,871
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I agree the were trying and back then a team basically had to start from scratch.

    The problem is that they walked around with this "lovable loser" moniker and it stuck. It lowered expectations by the fan base. The anti-Yankee approach that the Met fans wanted.....well they got it.

    Then add in a miserable SOB like Wilpon and you have what you have.

    The sad thing is that if this pitching staff is healthy this team could really do some damage. If they had another two hitters they would be a monster team. The Wilponzi's are letting a great opportunity just go by. This is the time to really cash in and they just refuse to.
    Yep, season's over.

  6. #966
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Shea Stadium
    Posts
    4,417
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Yep, season's over.
    Season's not over, but don't you think the Mets would be a better team if they'd actually improved?

    After spending months trying to trade Jay Bruce, floating the possibility of trading Lagares, Granderson, even extending Walker to get him to agree to a pay cut - don't you think it would have been nice if the same effort had been put into trying to improve the team?


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

  7. #967
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Yep, season's over.
    Way to go Barry Sanders. You took a hand off and carried the ball 75 yards all on your own on a made up statement.

    Who said the season is over? Ridiculous!

    I said and have been saying that the pitching is and has been wasted on lack of support from the rest of the team. I havent wavered one iota. The Wilpons are letting an opportunity go by to be a dominant team because of the lack of talent with the everyday players.

    I also said if the pitching is healthy that this team can do some damage despite the offense. Show me where I said or hinted that the season is over. Show me. Dont back track..show me where I said the season is over.

    Just off the charts absurdity.

  8. #968
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    8,330
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Season's not over, but don't you think the Mets would be a better team if they'd actually improved?

    After spending months trying to trade Jay Bruce, floating the possibility of trading Lagares, Granderson, even extending Walker to get him to agree to a pay cut - don't you think it would have been nice if the same effort had been put into trying to improve the team?
    Are you crazy? Improve the team? That is just crazy talk. Why should they do that?

    Season is over. Good grief.

  9. #969
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,871
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Are you crazy? Improve the team? That is just crazy talk. Why should they do that?

    Season is over. Good grief.
    Once again they are idiots who know nothing and do nothing to make the team better. They are stupid so I guess that makes you smart. They signed Cespedes, right? They have a better bullpen now then they had at this time last year, right? They should just tell Wright to stay home, right? Cut Bruce and Duda because no one wants them, right? I guess hitters grow on trees and you can just go out and grab them. I am sure they could have had a couple of more hitters if they traded Noah and Rosario. Trades and deals are not always doable even though MLB traderumors says someone is available.

    The 1st weekend of spring training hasn't even ended and the attitude is if only they would have done more, not that they have a very good team. Good grief! I think some Met fans follow the team so they have a reason to complain, I really do!

    I

  10. #970
    Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Once again they are idiots who know nothing and do nothing to make the team better. They are stupid so I guess that makes you smart. They signed Cespedes, right? They have a better bullpen now then they had at this time last year, right? They should just tell Wright to stay home, right? Cut Bruce and Duda because no one wants them, right? I guess hitters grow on trees and you can just go out and grab them. I am sure they could have had a couple of more hitters if they traded Noah and Rosario. Trades and deals are not always doable even though MLB traderumors says someone is available.

    The 1st weekend of spring training hasn't even ended and the attitude is if only they would have done more, not that they have a very good team. Good grief! I think some Met fans follow the team so they have a reason to complain, I really do!

    I
    This year features the highest payroll in team history. The only free agent who signed a deal over 100mil this offseason signed with the Mets.

    Even with all that, it's health. Besides the pitchers- Walker, Cabrera, Cespedes, Bruce, Granderson,Reyes, Conforto if healthy can contend. Wright, Duda and d'Arnaud if unhealthy- the team will still contend.

  11. #971
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Beautiful Shea Stadium
    Posts
    4,417
    Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    This year features the highest payroll in team history. The only free agent who signed a deal over 100mil this offseason signed with the Mets.

    Even with all that, it's health. Besides the pitchers- Walker, Cabrera, Cespedes, Bruce, Granderson,Reyes, Conforto if healthy can contend. Wright, Duda and d'Arnaud if unhealthy- the team will still contend.
    You can't compare current payroll with last time it was near this level. There's much more money in the game now. It's a significantly smaller percentage of Mets/SNY revenue than 2009.

    Remember, the whole starting rotation costs >$10M. The bullpen should have been supplemented with Chapman or Jansen+. Fred could well afford both. Instead, the season will begin with Reed as closer and nothing certain behind him. If Fred's not spending on improvements now, you think he will once the starters start getting paid what they're worth?

    Unfortunately about a third of payroll is going towards Wright (understandable), Walker and Bruce (not understandable). Ironically both Bruce and Walker were acquired to save money! Bruce was supposed to be leverage in negotiations with Cespedes and Walker came in the brilliant series of moves in which the Maverick avoided a 3 year commitment to Daniel Murphy. He must have been the only person on earth who didn't realize it was a no-brainer Walker would take the QO.

    So now the Mets have a stockpile of 2nd basemen and LHH corner outfielders. As it stands, Wright, Duda and Walker are returning from significant back problems. Plan B for Wright is Reyes. There is no Plan B for Duda. Not good.

    You can tell expectations are low when fans celebrate a team retaining its own player as a free agent signing.

    The last 2 off-seasons have been disheartening.


    "The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •