Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2016-17 San Francisco Giants off season thread

Well, in theory you could move Posey to first. But then you need a catcher. And good catchers don't grow on trees.

Like KHenry, I'm still a bit disappointed by the second half and the postseason.
    But the stat posted by Honus about Belt lowering his strikeout ration is something positive.
    And, having a number of other positions to fill, it may be not so wise to trade the guy with the highest OPS on the team.
    Greetings from Germany

Blog Entries
    Speaking of catchers why did the Giants get rid of Andrew Susac? He was a first round draft pick and showed the potential to be a quality catcher. At the very least he would have been a quality backup to Buster. He made the team out of spring training in 2015. But after he got hurt the Giants seemed to give up on him before he was given any real chance to show what he can do.
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 10-25-2016 at 02:32 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    Speaking of catchers why did the Gints get rid of Andrew Susac? He was a first round draft pick and showed the potential to be a quality catcher. At the very least he would have been a quality backup to Buster. He made the team out of spring training in 2015. But after he got hurt the Giants seemed to give up on him before he was given any real chance to show what he can do.
    Only thing I can think of is that they are worried that he'd never stay healthy.

As for Belt, while I am certainly impressed by his remarkable improvement in his BB's and OBP, (which obviously improves his K rate) It's still 148k's. I'd put up with that if he would hit 30hr's, but he's never going to do that. I'd love to package him with a bunch of people to get Goldschmitt, but that's never going to happen. Still, I want more out of him.
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Blog Entries
    Chris Shaw is a name be bantied about. Some scouts seem to love him. If Belt were to be traded could Shaw be the replacement?

http://www.minorleagueball.com/2016/...couting-report
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Congratulations on another fine season Giants fans!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean

Chris Shaw is a name be bantied about. Some scouts seem to love him. If Belt were to be traded could Shaw be the replacement?

Interesting, but his defense is an issue it seems. By all my critic on Belt, I think his defense is great.
    I think it's too early for him to replace Belt. I mean in the upcoming season. He seemed to have some trouble in AA, but also seems to learn quickly. It will be interesting so see how he develops.

Quote Originally Posted by Herr28 View Post
    Congratulations on another fine season Giants fans!
    I still trying to suppress it.
    Greetings from Germany

shaw definitely is a solid prospect but not the same kind of prospect belt was. belt has a 1.000 career ops in the minors, shaw has a career ops of 840.

840 is very solid but the bar for 1B prospects is pretty high, the prospect analysts don't like to value 1B prospects unless they absolutely tear it apart (950+ OPS).

im not saying he can't become a good first baseman but I would not assume he gets as good as belt especially considering belts glove.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    shaw definitely is a solid prospect but not the same kind of prospect belt was. belt has a 1.000 career ops in the minors, shaw has a career ops of 840.

840 is very solid but the bar for 1B prospects is pretty high, the prospect analysts don't like to value 1B prospects unless they absolutely tear it apart (950+ OPS).

im not saying he can't become a good first baseman but I would not assume he gets as good as belt especially considering belts glove.
    Yeah, Belt absolutely killed it in the minors, hitting a ridiculous .350/.461/.610 in three minor league seasons. If only Belt could hit like that in the majors. Well, then he'd be Lou Gehrig/Albert Pujols. Hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post

Yeah, but it's always hard to evaluate the stats in the minors, and therefore also the player that puts up those numbers. We have seen players with solid numbers in the minors being more than solid players in the MLB.
    But you are right, this .840 OPS is not that impressive so far. But I want to see another year and what he puts up. But what concerns me more is what is written about his glove.
    Greetings from Germany

Giants have had too many AAAA guys, who look great until they reach SF. Neikro and Linden come to mind. So while I am hopeful, it doesn't mean much to me what these kids do in the minors
    “Well, I like to say I’m completely focused, right? I mean, the game’s on the line. It’s not like I’m thinking about what does barbecue Pop Chips and Cholula taste like. Because I already know that answer — it tastes friggin’ awesome!"--Brian Wilson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KHenry14 View Post
    Giants have had too many AAAA guys, who look great until they reach SF. Neikro and Linden come to mind. So while I am hopeful, it doesn't mean much to me what these kids do in the minors
    It seems the Giants are masters at developing guys like this! Remember guys like Steve Decker, Damon Minor, Mark Leonard, Marcus Jensen, Calvin Murray, Dante Powell, Jacob Cruz, and Nate Scheirholtz?

Blog Entries
    There's a rumor that the Giants are interested in trading for Tigers' outfielder J.D. Martinez.

http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/201...rs-jd-martinez

He can hit but his defense is poor.

It seems the Giants are masters at developing guys like this! Remember guys like Steve Decker, Damon Minor, Mark Leonard, Marcus Jensen, Calvin Murray, Dante Powell, Jacob Cruz, and Nate Scheirholtz?
    Ah Damon Minor, all 6'7" of a .232 avg. Totally forgot about him. But hey, he's the hitting coach for the River Cats!

I know it's the hot stove season, which means ridiculous trade rumors....so here's one i'm sure as heck hoping is fake news...http://www.csnne.com/boston-red-sox/...pablo-sandoval

AAAIIIIEEEEEE!

Well, we got our closer: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/210289...mark-melancon/

I'm thrilled. This was the guy I wanted all along.

Now we need a cheap LF

The Giants signed Jimmy Rollins.

Giants sign Michael Morse, Justin Ruggiano:
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...-ruggiano.html
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Aubrey Huff thinks protesters need to get a job: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2017/0...s-get-job.html

These rants of his will lose him a lot of fans, esp. Giants fans. What bothered me the most was him bragging about his money, big house and Hot Wife.
    Lots of pro athletes seems to think that the general public is very jealous of them. And\Aubrey was going there on twitter. While he didnt go the full Schilling, he did alienate a lot of people.

Blog Entries
    Go away Aubrey.

While I think his chances aren't great, ya gotta hope Michael Morse still has some game in him:

http://www.sfchronicle.com/giants/ar...witter-premium

If he can still hit he could be really effective coming off the bench. We all know the guy is a clutch hitter, and a good guy, it would be great if it works out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast