1B: Jimmie Foxx, Mark McGwire
    2B: Eddie Collins, Max Bishop
    3B: Sal Bando, Home Run Baker
    SS: Bert Campaneris, Eddie Joost
    LF: Rickey Henderson, Al Simmons
    CF: Bob Johnson, Dwayne Murphy
    RF: Reggie Jackson
    SP: Eddie Plank, Lefty Grove, Rube Waddell, Chief Bender, Tim Hudson
    RP: Dennis Eckersley, Rollie Fingers, Justin Duchscherer, John Wyatt, Joe Berry

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Athletics players were together in their Athletics prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would be the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be easily the strongest as would the bench. All that said 125 wins would be possible.
    My dream ballpark dimensions
    LF: 400 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
    RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
    Location....San Diego
  • Zito75
    A's Super Moderator
    • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Sockeye View Post
    C: Mickey Cochrane, Terry Steinbach
    1B: Jimmie Foxx, Mark McGwire
    2B: Eddie Collins, Max Bishop
    3B: Sal Bando, Home Run Baker
    SS: Bert Campaneris, Eddie Joost
    LF: Rickey Henderson, Al Simmons
    CF: Bob Johnson, Dwayne Murphy
    RF: Reggie Jackson
    SP: Eddie Plank, Lefty Grove, Rube Waddell, Chief Bender, Tim Hudson
    RP: Dennis Eckersley, Rollie Fingers, Justin Duchscherer, John Wyatt, Joe Berry

How many games would this team win against 2016 competition if all of these Athletics players were together in their Athletics prime?

The way I see it is the starting pitching would be the best is baseball as would the bullpen. The hitting would be easily the strongest as would the bench. All that said 125 wins would be possible.
    Nice - I like this roster a lot. I would make a change - Would probably add Canseco to play RF or DH, and would drop Duchscherer. Hudson had great numbers in his career - so did Dave Stewart. It would be hard for me choose one over the other.
    WAR? Prove it!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Comment

• Sockeye
      Sunday, May 14, 1978
      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Zito75 View Post
      Nice - I like this roster a lot. I would make a change - Would probably add Canseco to play RF or DH, and would drop Duchscherer. Hudson had great numbers in his career - so did Dave Stewart. It would be hard for me choose one over the other.
      Hated to leave Harry Davis, Jason Giambi, & Jose Canseco off the roster but the positions didn't fit and I wanted to keep it positionally realistic with a 10 man pitching staff and at least one backup at every position.

Tim Hudson: 92-39, .702%, 3.30 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 136 ERA+
      Dave Stewart: 119-78, .604%, 3.73 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 103 ERA+

Stewart had 27 more wins, but 39 more losses. Hudson was clearly the better of the two pitchers. Agree?
      Last edited by Sockeye; 10-27-2016, 06:31 PM.
      My dream ballpark dimensions
      LF: 400 Feet...Height 37 Feet...LCF: 455 Feet...CF: 542 Feet...Height 35 Feet
      RCF: 471 Feet...RF: 400 Feet...Height 60 Feet
      Location....San Diego

Comment

• dwj21792
        • May 2017

Nice team. I keep wondering if there was a better choice than Bishop. My dad grew up a Philadelphia A's fan and used to talk about their infield in the 40s, particularly Pete Suder at 2nd. Was that just homerism on his part? Maybe.. I'd have to study it some.
        Also, how about Tejada at short?
        Last edited by dwj21792; 06-13-2017, 04:22 PM.
        27 World Championships
        22 retired numbers
        Isn't it great to be a Yankee fan?
        Baseball was, is, and always will be to me the best sport-Babe Ruth

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X