Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Boston Red Sox 2016-2017 offseason thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    18,590

    Boston Red Sox 2016-2017 offseason thread

    This is for discussing the Red Sox 2016-2017 offseason.

  2. #2
    As of 4 November 2016

    Key free agents: Koji Uehara, Junichi Tazawa, Brad Ziegler, Aaron Hill, Ryan Hanigan.

    The Sox will need to find a way to replace David Ortiz's spot in the lineup, and with Uehara, Tazawa and Ziegler all set to become free agents, they will have to address holes in the bullpen. But Boston's talented young core of players are complemented by the some worthy veterans they're retaining and have them poised to be contenders again next season. As a result, the Sox'll likely be active over the winter. They did pick up Clay Buchholz's option ($13.5M) and declined Hanigan's ($3.75M) on the first day of free agency.

    source: http://baseballtalk.freeforums.org/t...sox-t1294.html
    Last edited by Mudge; 11-04-2016 at 03:38 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    893

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Mudge View Post
    As of 4 November 2016

    Key free agents: Koji Uehara, Junichi Tazawa, Brad Ziegler, Aaron Hill, Ryan Hanigan.

    The Sox will need to find a way to replace David Ortiz's spot in the lineup, and with Uehara, Tazawa and Ziegler all set to become free agents, they will have to address holes in the bullpen. But Boston's talented young core of players are complemented by the some worthy veterans they're retaining and have them poised to be contenders again next season. As a result, the Sox'll likely be active over the winter. They did pick up Clay Buchholz's option ($13.5M) and declined Hanigan's ($3.75M) on the first day of free agency.

    source: http://baseballtalk.freeforums.org/t...sox-t1294.html
    In my opinion, they should try to keep all three, Koji Uehara, Junichi Tazawa, Brad Ziegler and go hard after Edwin Encarnacion which has received a qualifying offer from the Blue Jays.


    Encarnacion is expected to turn down the $17.2 million qualifying offer, but a draft pick will now be attached to him as a free agent, which will reduce his value on the open market.

  4. #4
    OK, call me crazy. I've heard it before . But as long as I have a keyboard and can type I can play GM right? If I wake up as DD today, I make a call to Artie Moreno. "Artie, Dave. We need to talk".
    The Red Sox in '17 will need help if they are going to contend. They have done a great job of developing the neucleus of a very good team, but even the last stand of Papi couldn't put them over the top. It's no secret that the Angels have been going nowhere for a long time and I doubt even the most delusional Anaheim fan thinks that Mike Trout won't want a shot at winning one day soon. That's where Boston comes in. The Sox can basically rebuild the Angel's lineup with a blockbuster. I would offer a catcher, a pitcher, JBJ, Shaw, Devers, Castillo and whatever else gets me Trout, Mookie and Benitendi in the OF in April. Before he ends up in pinstripes someday, I'd give it a shot. Then I'd sign Edwin. Hell, it's not my money.
    2B Pedroia
    LF Benitendi
    CF Trout
    DH Encarnacion
    1B Ramirez
    RF Betts
    SS Boegarts
    3B Sandoval, Moncada, Shaw
    C Leon, Swihart, Vazquez minus one
    U Holt

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    893

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Woodside Park View Post
    OK, call me crazy. I've heard it before . But as long as I have a keyboard and can type I can play GM right? If I wake up as DD today, I make a call to Artie Moreno. "Artie, Dave. We need to talk".
    The Red Sox in '17 will need help if they are going to contend. They have done a great job of developing the neucleus of a very good team, but even the last stand of Papi couldn't put them over the top. It's no secret that the Angels have been going nowhere for a long time and I doubt even the most delusional Anaheim fan thinks that Mike Trout won't want a shot at winning one day soon. That's where Boston comes in. The Sox can basically rebuild the Angel's lineup with a blockbuster. I would offer a catcher, a pitcher, JBJ, Shaw, Devers, Castillo and whatever else gets me Trout, Mookie and Benitendi in the OF in April. Before he ends up in pinstripes someday, I'd give it a shot. Then I'd sign Edwin. Hell, it's not my money.
    2B Pedroia
    LF Benitendi
    CF Trout
    DH Encarnacion
    1B Ramirez
    RF Betts
    SS Boegarts
    3B Sandoval, Moncada, Shaw
    C Leon, Swihart, Vazquez minus one
    U Holt
    I agree, but that would be a dream. There's no way the Sox would be willing to spend between $400-$500M to sign both Trout AND Edwin to 5-7 year long contracts. But hell, like you said, "It's not our money"! Betts and Boegarts are un-touchable. JBJ & (anybody) in a trade for Trout is fine by me...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    6,514
    The Red Sox have picked up their 2018 club option on manager John Farrell’s contract, president of baseball ops Dave Dombrowski told reporters.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/1...-for-2018.html
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  7. #7
    As per Dave Dombrowski on signing a free-agent to DH in Boston:

    “I figured we would wait to see what takes place later on, who’s out there. Our priority is to try to get a guy that can pitch the eighth inning for us...There’s a little bit more of a drive to [stay under the $195MM luxury-tax threshold]. But I can’t tell you where we we’re going to end up."

    Encarnacion looks to be a long-shot under these conditions.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    6,514
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    6,514
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Sale is a very good pitcher and will help against AL teams, but IMO I think Dave gave up a lot for him. Moncada may be a great talent soon and Kopech has done nothing to show he won't either. 105 in your back pocket doesnt come 'round too often. I guess we hope for the best. Porcello's 1st season didn't go very well, but 2016 was great. Hopefully Price will follow suit this season and Sale can breath easy in his start because of them.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    893
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodside Park View Post
    Sale is a very good pitcher and will help against AL teams, but IMO I think Dave gave up a lot for him. Moncada may be a great talent soon and Kopech has done nothing to show he won't either. 105 in your back pocket doesnt come 'round too often. I guess we hope for the best. Porcello's 1st season didn't go very well, but 2016 was great. Hopefully Price will follow suit this season and Sale can breath easy in his start because of them.
    Only time will tell. Sale a proven talent, All of the minor leaguers we gave up aren't.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    6,514
    The Red Sox announced that they’ve signed veteran right-hander Kyle Kendrick to a minor league contract with an invitation to Major League Spring Training.
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/0...ague-deal.html

    Kyle Kendrick was the Rockies' opening day starter in 2015.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn, USA
    Posts
    6,514
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •