Thread: K% instead of K9?

K% instead of K9?

Fangraphs is lobbying to use k% instead of k/9. They are arguing that k/9 is not great because it is inflated with higher walks guys since they have more PAs per inning and thus more chances to strike guys out.

I tend to agree with that but k/9 is still much more widespread. Should we use k% based on plate appearances?
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Fangraphs is lobbying to use k% instead of k/9. They are arguing that k/9 is not great because it is inflated with higher walks guys since they have more PAs per inning and thus more chances to strike guys out.

I tend to agree with that but k/9 is still much more widespread. Should we use k% based on plate appearances?
    k as a % of what? Outs?
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

-Bill James

Quote Originally Posted by sturg1dj View Post
    k as a % of what? Outs?
    Plate appearances (batters faced)
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Hmmmm....

That's like preferring batting average over... (hits per 4.25 plate appearances?).

K% would certainly penalize pitchers with high walk rates. The denominator would go up, sure.

But isn't easier to think of some numbers in terms of a GAME rather than in terms of a typical plate appearance?

We aren't making playing cards for a tabletop board game are we?
    Your Second Base Coach
    Garvey, Lopes, Russell, and Cey started 833 times and the Dodgers went 498-335, for a .598 winning percentage. Thatís equal to a team going 97-65 over a season. On those occasions when at least one of them missed his start, the Dodgers were 306-267-1, which is a .534 clip. That works out to a team going 87-75. So having all four of them added 10 wins to the Dodgers per year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hCIvMule0