• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chadwick
    Chasing Cooperstown
    • Sep 2002

Book Inquiry

Wondering if anyone has read Baseball Founders or Base Ball Pioneers, both edited by Peter Morris, William Ryczek and others? I have two questions for anyone familiar with these volumes.

(1) Are they, in fact, two totally difference volumes or is one simply a revision of the earlier book? What's the difference between the two?

(2) How much would you recommend either/both of these?
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe
  • rrhersh
    • Mar 2007

Disclosure: I was a contributor to both volumes.

They are separate books, together constituting a two volume work. They are collections of brief histories of early baseball clubs. The difference between the two is geographical coverage. They are both listed on Amazon and you can use the "Look Inside" function to get a taste of what they are about, and something you will spend your money on.

Comment

• Roshaan
      • Feb 2017

Baseball

yes i love basket ball because it is game of long height and more struggle and talent is required for this game, And this is also like war.

Comment

• Chadwick
        Chasing Cooperstown
        • Sep 2002

I received both of these as birthday presents this year and I have already finished the first one and well into the second.. Outstanding resources. Certainly glad to have them in my collection. Highly recommended for anyone interested in learning about baseball in the pre- and proto-professional years.
        "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
        "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
        "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
        "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

Comment

• bluesky5
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Chadwick View Post
          I received both of these as birthday presents this year and I have already finished the first one and well into the second.. Outstanding resources. Certainly glad to have them in my collection. Highly recommended for anyone interested in learning about baseball in the pre- and proto-professional years.
          I'm gonna have to pick em up. Can't have you pulling ahead of me.

Edit: Dang man, I thought I came up with the term "proto-professional" in your other 19th c. thread. I really am behind.
          "No matter how great you were once upon a time — the years go by, and men forget,” - W. A. Phelon in Baseball Magazine in 1915. “Ross Barnes, forty years ago, was as great as Cobb or Wagner ever dared to be. Had scores been kept then as now, he would have seemed incomparably marvelous.”

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X