Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Start extra innings with a runner on second base?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich the Giants fan View Post
    This idea is stupider than the new Intentional Walk rule change, which to date is the stupidest rule change in the history of sports.
    You got that right , that IBB change means zero. Both leagues, average IBB per game for the last 5 seasons 0.21.
    I can't believe anyone even "thought" of starting with the runner on second base.
    Stop screwing with the game

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    You got that right , that IBB change means zero. Both leagues, average IBB per game for the last 5 seasons 0.21.
    I can't believe anyone even "thought" of starting with the runner on second base.
    Stop screwing with the game
    Can I get an Amen?
    San Francisco Giants, World Series Champions in 2010, 2012, and 2014!!!

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts" ~ Albert Einstein

"Royals wear crowns, but Champions Kiss the Ring" ~ Jeremy Affeldt

Amen!

Now, I'm not a fan of the intentional walk, because a good chunk of the time it flat out backfires, but has anyone considered it helps the defense just a little bit? You'd like it if the team you're rooting for is prevented from having to throw four pitches and the danger of a wild pitch or errant pitch that's crushed is removed. Using essentially international rules in the 12th inning is a much bigger travesty than removing four lobbed pitches to the plate.
    Onward to SunTrust Park!

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Now, I'm not a fan of the intentional walk, because a good chunk of the time it flat out backfires, but has anyone considered it helps the defense just a little bit? You'd like it if the team you're rooting for is prevented from having to throw four pitches and the danger of a wild pitch or errant pitch that's crushed is removed. Using essentially international rules in the 12th inning is a much bigger travesty than removing four lobbed pitches to the plate.
    Did I miss something, saw a great number of IBB over the years and saw very, very few wild pitches.
    And even if it did take place, whats the difference.
    If I recall the lords of the game gave the fans the BS that it would shorten game time length which is even more foolish.
    Last season the team high was 60 IBB, many were under 40 and 30, this silly change does nothing to shorten game time.

As the the other nonsense, starting with runner at second, sounds like something kids might come up with in the playground.
    No wait a minutes, kids are not that dumb.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 02-28-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    If I recall the lords of the game gave the fans the BS that it would shorten game time length which is even more foolish. Last season the team high was 60 IBB, many were under 40 and 30, this silly change does nothing to shorten game time.
    Well, technically it is going to shorten the average game by ~20 seconds. Manfred wanted bigger changes to quicken the game/pace, but the players union does not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123