Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Call Me Crazy, But On The Surface, The Braves Are Decent At The Positions

Call Me Crazy, But On The Surface, The Braves Are Decent At The Positions

Decent probably like the Padres were a couple of years ago when they imported all the players, but still. Potentially average to above average people all across the diamond:

C - Flowers and Suzuki who can combine to have some decent numbers despite Suzuki's alleged bad defense.
    1B - Freeman will be Freeman, somewhere between what he did previously and what he did last year. Doubt he's repeating that again.
    2B - Phillips has a batting average and solid defense, so should be okay for a year.
    SS - Swanson needs to be solid like he was last year. I would guess he'd be allowed to work through struggles because the only shorstops they have left, essentially, are d'Arnaud and Castro.
    LF - Kemp will hit some and have bad defense. Being in "the best shape in his life" won't save any of his defense.
    CF - Inciarte has to hit. Nuff said there.
    RF - All Markakis has to do is keep up his average. If you believe Fielding Bible stats, he had his best defensive season in five years last year.
    48 wins to match last year's total

What about pitching??
    North of the Big Apple but missing Central Fla

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynboy View Post
    What about pitching??
    That's the real issue. Sure it looks solid on the surface, but it could all come crashing down if Dickey or Colon lost the location to the Fountain of Youth, or Jamie Garcia's finished. If that's the case, they have to rely on the struggling guys from last year to turn the corner.

I have better confidence that they can cobble together a decent bullpen with all the guys they brought in.

I guess the point I'm trying to make with this thread is "yes, they look solid, but it's all precariously balanced". That's why no one expects them to do anything this year. If the stars align, they could have a winning record.

People just dismiss the offense completely, they assume it'll be as bad as last year. Maybe they will, but there can be some overall improvement.

Can they stay healthy? As a Mets fan, the Mets lost most of the rotation in 2016 due to health issues - Noah Syndergaard had bone chips in his elbow, Matt Harvey had thoracic outlet syndrome, Jacob deGrom had elbow surgery, Steven Matz had elbow pain and Zack Wheeler still has elbow discomfort.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    Can they stay healthy? As a Mets fan, the Mets lost most of the rotation in 2016 due to health issues - Noah Syndergaard had bone chips in his elbow, Matt Harvey had thoracic outlet syndrome, Jacob deGrom had elbow surgery, Steven Matz had elbow pain and Zack Wheeler still has elbow discomfort.
    yeah see, that's just it: I don't think they can. Something's bound to go awry and they'll look closer to last year's rotation.

I think the Braves could and will have a winning season even if the stars are slightly out of alignment. I'm not saying divisional title here but a good solid season to which build. For some reason, Dickey did better in the NL than the AL. Colon has a couple of decent years left.

You could try a Yankee move and use your BP as they do..

Offense has to be perfect, though. I'm pretty sure they believe that the offense from the final months of last year would be the normal offense this year. I REALLY don't think that's true.

Given everything I would say the Braves are due to be better than last years team. How much better/worse? Well, Only Sept 30 knows

Given everything I would say the Braves are due to be better than last years team. How much better/worse? Well, Only Sept 30 knows
    Yeeeeep. For certain, the pieces for that better season are here, just a matter of execution.

I'm not sure now where I saw it, but the Braves are predicted to pass the Phillies in the standings. BTW, Freeman was ranked as the 18th best player in the major leagues. It's a bit lower than I expected, but Buster Posey only ranked 17th. Freeman was the only Brave in the top 100. I'm hoping Swanson emerges as their regular shortstop.

Well of course Freeman's the only Brave in the top 100. No one would put Julio there.

I think it'll be a fun year in Atlanta. We signed enough decent guys to keep up somewhat competitive and it certainly helps that we have a few household names now (Phillips, Colon, etc). I think that we will have enough quality trade chips to flip for ML ready prospects in order for us to be all in for 2018. The rebuild has gone smoothly but I think this year is critical as far as what direction we go in.
    Rest in Peace Jose Fernandez (1992-2016)

Trust me when I say as a Mets fan..."Bartolo will make it a fun year".

Kind of bothered me at the end of the Braves article in BP this year that the team may have to trade Swanson and Freeman to continue the rebuild if nothing works out.

The problem with a rebuild is that you don't know where to stop. You need some stable building blocks in which to build around.

Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Kind of bothered me at the end of the Braves article in BP this year that the team may have to trade Swanson and Freeman to continue the rebuild if nothing works out.

The problem with a rebuild is that you don't know where to stop. You need some stable building blocks in which to build around.
    Yeah, that's just it. You can't be like the Marlins, just trading everyone off when they get too expensive. I can remember years ago that some guys I used to know advocated that as a way to build a good baseball team.

No way they trade freeman, if they do that, who wants watch the games

Freddie and Julio seem to be the cornerstones they want to build around. The problem is what happens if you go too far in your rebuild??

Freddie and Julio seem to be the cornerstones they want to build around. The problem is what happens if you go too far in your rebuild??
    Then you get stuck in a perpetual rebuilding cycle, duh. :P I don't think they're that stupid. I think they understand that prolonged losing is unacceptable, and the traffic simply going to Braves games isn't going to help matters. If they get stuck in a perpetual rebuilding cycle, attendance is going to tank because no one is going to bother to fight that traffic to watch a losing team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast