Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things outside talent that help you make the team

Things outside talent that help you make the team

Kids are going through or about to go through tryouts for middle school and high school. Some kids in warmer areas may be past tryouts. I pulled these items from a list on another site. None of them have anything to do with baseball talent. But they all make a difference in making a team.

No a mediocre player is not going to beat out a stud for a roster spot with these things. But once e coaching staff gets past the top talent these things help coaches decide what players they want to work with. As a former coach the one that stands out to me is "body language screams."

Persistence is more important than talent

Respect the game as much as you want to be respected

Tuck in your shirt

Don't wear your hat backwards

Practice hard because you play the way you practice

It doesn't take any talent to hustle

Agree to let your coaches train you

Don't tell people what you are worth, prove it to them

Your parents love you, but they don't know more than your coach about baseball

Don't let anyone make an excuse for you

Maintain eye contact with all adults when they talk to you.

It is your coach's opinion of you that counts. He makes out the lineup. Fail to understand this point and you will soon be out of the game.

Life is not fair. Regardless of what some people want you to think.

Body language screams. It never whispers

You don't have to be a great athlete to be a good baseball player

When you jog to warm up finish first.

When you stretch do it best.

When you play catch, throw to a target and hit it every time.

When you play catch, catch the ball or block the bad throw and keep it in front of you every time.

When you are doing a drill, do it perfect, every time.

Go hard all the time. Never walk on a baseball practice field.

Baseball reveals character it doesn't build it.

Character means doing the right thing when nobody's watching
    Last edited by JettSixty; 02-16-2017 at 08:27 PM.

Excellent list. My kid is going for freshman this year, and I counted 6 or 7 that he needs to do. He will read this tomorrow!
    If you let baseball kick your ass, it will

That's one heck of a list. Good job with that.
    Skip

Love it. Kids don't understand that coaches can have a good idea of who the players are by the time they are done warming up.

I'll add another aspect. At my son's HS (he is a freshman) most of the coaches are administrators and teachers at the school. I told him that they are teacher's first, and they are evaluating the kids well before tryouts. That means that when it comes to breaking ties the kids with better grades and no discipline issues will come out on top.

Very good list. As an assistant at the high school level, I can tell you that we have had conversations concerning some of our players during recent open gyms.

Player 1 -- late addition last season and seemed unsure of herself. She didn't seem to make practice (or softball) a priority. So far during open gyms, she has been the most improved person returning from last year's roster. Completely different attitude, and all for the better.

Player 2 -- new addition to the team this season. Talent is a bit raw, but she does have some experience. Excellent attitude. Takes practice seriously and never takes a drill off.

Player 3 -- perfect example of the body language comment. New to the team, but we get the impression she doesn't want to be there. Have talked to her several times already about cursing during drills when things don't go her way.

Player 4 -- returning player from last year's JV team who is in line for a potential V spot. Poor body language. Yells at teammates when they make an error or poor throw, especially if she is the recipient of that throw.

It's still early in the process and "official" team practices are still two weeks away. But our impressions of some of the players are already being made.
    "Once you stop learning, you start dying" -- Albert Einstein.

I've been seeing a lot of things this season that are relevant to the discussion...

My son is a senior and team captain for a program that due to events from last year, is mostly comprised of undisciplined, inexperienced players.

Since the fall he has been trying to mould the younger players into a unit that conducts itself in a professional manner.

During fall tryouts, someone left an empty water bottle in the middle of the outfield. Once the coach had finished his speech for the day, my son held what by all reports was a rather animated come-to-jesus meeting with the players. The gist of it was you can't slack on even the little things. If you accept laziness in the little things, it becomes easy to accept it in the big things. I think he got through to them, because even though the team stinks (I've seen a lot of high school baseball in my time, believe me they stink.) they do everything with energy and hustle. They boot plays and make bad throws, but nobody takes a second to pout or complain. They just keep at it. Even if the result isn't perfect, they trust in the process.

I think it's an attitude that any prospective player needs to bring into tryouts. Basically saying that no matter what, I'm going to keep grinding. I can't control a play that's already done, but I can control the next one.

Another thing he has tried to get everyone to buy into is that early is on time and on time is late. If practice is called for 3:00, you should be warming up by that time. You shouldn't be just walking in, putting your cleats on, applying your sunblock, etc. Practice starts at 3:00. That means the field should already be prepared. The tarps should be pulled, any dragging should be taken care of, the turtle should be in place. Practice starts at 3:00, not preparation for practice.

This sounds like a list for making a semi-pro team.

Quote Originally Posted by mattun View Post
    Are you saying the list is harsh or extreme?

I thought it was an excellent list.

Quote Originally Posted by $tinky View Post
    Are you saying the list is harsh or extreme?

I thought it was an excellent list.
    I thought it was an excellent list also....because it was true in our case during tryouts quite a bit.

And I just read "mattun's" semi-pro comment with this in mind, and smiled....
    domingo.jpg
    Last edited by mudvnine; 02-17-2017 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Shrunk image
    In memory of "Catchingcoach" - Dave Weaver: February 28, 1955 - June 17, 2011

It's for making any team for any sport at any level. Not required or even expected, but a way to set yourself apart from other equally talented players, or a deciding factor when all else is equal .
    If you let baseball kick your ass, it will

https://youtu.be/r9DeqaR4PO8

Come on, this is how you make the team.

The list looks familiar. LOL
    Granny said Sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what. Because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    The list looks familiar. LOL
    I'm sure you've read it before. I didn't think it would be right to link to another baseball board site. I deleted some of the advice that might be beyond the maturity of a middle school kid.

https://youtu.be/r9DeqaR4PO8

Come on, this is how you make the team.
    Oh gosh, the 2:00 to 2:45 mark brought a little tear to my eye....
    domingo_and_me.jpg
    ...he learned so well.

Would add a few more:

• Always help clean up (equipment off the field, dugouts, areas around the field).
    • Volunteer to catch bullpens.
    • Be on top of your deadlines (parental permission forms, physicals, grade checks), don't make the HC even have to ask.
    • Take care of your classroom business, no HC wants to hear from your teachers.
    • Leave your emotional baggage in the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by WailukuHeights View Post
    Would add a few more:

• Be on top of your deadlines (parental permission forms, physicals, grade checks), don't make the HC even have to ask.
    • Take care of your classroom business, no HC wants to hear from your teachers.
    Good additions, we've had players sit on the bench entire practices because of missing forms, or because they were late to it due to serving their after school detention for an unnecessary problem in a classroom (the others were good also, just that these are really important, and oftentimes overlooked).

Does the hot mom loophole stop working in MS?

Quote Originally Posted by mudvnine View Post
    I thought it was an excellent list also....because it was true in our case during tryouts quite a bit.

And I just read "mattun's" semi-pro comment with this in mind, and smiled....
    domingo.jpg
    Duuuhh?? It went right over my head.

A couple more that believe it or not I've seen ...

- Don't forget to get a physical and signed off by your doctor

- Don't forget to bring any required paperwork with required signatures by your parents

I've shown up at pickup time. Tryouts weren't over. But there would be a player watching because he forgot required paperwork. It's not a good way to make the team.

For the hitting side of things, the first thing we notice at our facility and the other college coaches scouting our players (whether they know it or not) is BAT SPEED! Bat speed is something nobody ever talks about... everyone talks mechanics, yet it is one of the most important qualities to have as a hitter.

Mechanics are all well and good and obviously very important, but you could have the best swing on earth if you don't have any bat speed the ball won't go anywhere and then nobody cares anyways.

Give me a kid with stellar bat speed and poor mechanics and I will [almost] always take him over the kid with perfect mechanics but no bat speed. I can teach mechanics... teaching a players body to be explosive is not as easy.

Look at Tulo for example... his swing is garbage, but his bat speed and hand eye coordination are off the charts. I would put Pujols in that same category.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast