Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32

Thread: Harper is healthy

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
    The player Bryce Harper is good for baseball - absolutely. The person Bryce Harper is not. Not until he grows up, and learns the meaning of the word respect.
    Has he been bad lately? I had thought he had grown up a bit.
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

    -Bill James

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Anderson, SC
    Posts
    12,156
    Maybe you feel that way because people focused on how he was underperforming and not how he was acting.
    Onward to SunTrust Park!

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    3,971
    Quote Originally Posted by SamtheBravesFan View Post
    Maybe you feel that way because people focused on how he was underperforming and not how he was acting.
    Perhaps, or maybe it is because he is playing in DC and I don't get to see many of their games. Or maybe the beard has a calming effect.

    I just hadn't really heard too much out of him outside the Papelbon fight, and even then I feel like that was much more Papelbon than Harper.
    "Batting stats and pitching stats do not indicate the quality of play, merely which part of that struggle is dominant at the moment."

    -Bill James

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg1dj View Post
    Perhaps, or maybe it is because he is playing in DC and I don't get to see many of their games. Or maybe the beard has a calming effect.

    I just hadn't really heard too much out of him outside the Papelbon fight, and even then I feel like that was much more Papelbon than Harper.
    If memory serves, that's how the fight was reported.
    "It is a simple matter to erect a Hall of Fame, but difficult to select the tenants." -- Ken Smith
    "I am led to suspect that some of the electorate is very dumb." -- Henry P. Edwards
    "You have a Hall of Fame to put people in, not keep people out." -- Brian Kenny
    "There's no such thing as a perfect ballot." -- Jay Jaffe

  5. #25
    Jeff Sullivan at FG asks: Who do you pick to have a better year, Manny Machado or Bryce Harper? It's an interesting match-up, because they're about the same age, and have about the same career WAR total, but Manny has put up several consistently excellent seasons, while Harper has put up one season for the ages, but has been much less impressive the rest of the time.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/bryce...manny-machado/

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolensingle View Post
    Jeff Sullivan at FG asks: Who do you pick to have a better year, Manny Machado or Bryce Harper? It's an interesting match-up, because they're about the same age, and have about the same career WAR total, but Manny has put up several consistently excellent seasons, while Harper has put up one season for the ages, but has been much less impressive the rest of the time.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/bryce...manny-machado/
    I would pick Harper, if he can stay healthy. That's a big if. I hope he can, baseball needs superheroes and Harper has a chance to be one on the highest level.

    I think Matt Williams put it out there last year that Harper was hurting. I don't have a source, I just remember reading that. Harper has really only been healthy for two seasons in his career, so his health is far from a guarantee.

  7. #27
    Still early, but Harper so far is looking a lot more like 2015 than 2016. Hit his 7th HR and 6th 2B today. At this point, leads the majors in BA, OBP and OPS. Tied for first in RBI, and second in runs. Given the recent power spike in baseball, and the quality of the lineup surrounding Harper, he could put up some awesome traditional stats this season.

    If he has another year like 2015, the bidding for him when he becomes available will be insane.

    Mr. April: Per wRC+, Harper has had only one poor April in five seasons, in 2014, and even then he was no worse in that month than in the rest of the season. His MVP season of 2015 has so far been the only one in which he hit better after April, but he was still very good in that first month, well above his career value and certainly in elite territory.

    Code:
    Year	April	Rest of Season		
    2013	216	    115		
    2014	115	    115		
    2015	162	    204		
    2016	179	    100		
    2017 	259
    Last edited by Stolensingle; 04-22-2017 at 04:35 PM.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    25,802
    Blog Entries
    1
    There's talk of Harper getting a $400 million contract.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    There's talk of Harper getting a $400 million contract.
    More, even. He is going to be 26 when he hits FA. Don't put it past some AL team giving him a 14 yr/35 per contract, plus a 10 mil signing bonus to make it the first half a billion dollar contract. Eek.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
    More, even. He is going to be 26 when he hits FA. Don't put it past some AL team giving him a 14 yr/35 per contract, plus a 10 mil signing bonus to make it the first half a billion dollar contract. Eek.
    Isn't he a FA after this year? Or is there another year because he didn't come up until the end of April in 2012? But he came up at the same time as Trout, and Trout's FA years begin next year.

    Edit: OK, I checked, you're right, he becomes a FA after 2018. Presumably 2012 doesn't count as a full year of service, because he missed the first several weeks of the season. But I don't get why Trout is a year ahead of him, because Trout missed essentially the same length of time.

    In any case, if he has another season this year anything like two years ago, he may well get more than $35 million a year. That is about 4 WAR by current or projected standards, and in 2015, Harper put up 10 WAR. I could easily see him getting half a billion for ten years, given that he would be expected to be still highly productive at the end of that ten year period. Remember, the typical mega-contract begins when a player is in his late 20s, or even later, and the team assumes that they're only going to get the benefit of great production for the first few years. In Harper's case, he would be expected to be still close to his peak through most of the ten years. If he gets a longer contract, it would be worth even more.
    Last edited by Stolensingle; Yesterday at 12:08 AM.

  11. #31
    Harper was healthy last April too. He obviously is super talented but he also already had a big injury history just like stanton. Hopefully he can stay healthy longer but I'm always a bit concerned about him.
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Stolensingle View Post
    I could easily see him getting half a billion for ten years....
    No way any team pays him $50 million a year. But I do agree that if the contract is under 10 years, he may well get more than $35 million a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •