Thread: 2019 WBSC Premier 12

Blog Entries

2019 WBSC Premier 12

It's time to look towards the 2nd edition of the biggest International Baseball event on the WBSC's calendar. Will it stay in Asia? I expect it to. Will MLB allow its players to participate? I don't think so. Will it be the only Olympic Qualifier? I hope not. If history repeats itself, then we can't expect much news about this event and even MLB will need to be reminded of its existence. At this moment Australia has replaced the Dominican Republic; see new rankings. If I remember correctly, the field will be decided at the end of 2018 when the year end WBSC rankings will be revealed.

Was the 2015 edition broadcasted in the states?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gianc006 View Post
    Was the 2015 edition broadcasted in the states?
    Only if you count YouTube live streaming.

Blog Entries
    Perhaps the 2019 Premier 12 will not be the exclusive Olympic Qualifier.

The Confederation of European Baseball and the German Baseball and Softball Federation (DBV) have agreed on moving the 2018 European Baseball Championship to 2019 to serve as a pre-qualifier for the Olympic Qualification Tournament of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.

The rescheduling comes after a demand from the World Baseball Softball Confederation which is currently working on the Olympic Qualification system. Still to be confirmed, the qualification process for European teams would get through a March 2020 6 teams OQT gathering the best team from Africa and the first five teams of the 2019 EBC. The OQT runner-up would get a second chance to go to Tokyo by participating to a final OQT with teams from other regional qualification tournaments.
    Source: http://www.mister-baseball.com/europ...-change-final/

Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAmAZins View Post
    Perhaps the 2019 Premier 12 will not be the exclusive Olympic Qualifier.

Source: http://www.mister-baseball.com/europ...-change-final/
    Yes, I had read that too! However, with Baseball having difficulty getting traction in Europe, I don't understand the EBC's willingness to sacrifice two European Baseball Championships (2018 & 2020) for an Olympic Qualifier in 2019? It seems to me that marquee international tournaments like the European Championships promotes baseball better than a European team competing in the Olympic tournament that few Europeans will even have a chance to watch on TV.

Blog Entries
    The WBSC should just incorporate the existing EBC into the Olympic Qualifiers. The IOC hamstrung them [WBSC] by reducing the Olympic tournament to six teams, but they will have to figure out a fair way for all of their federations to participate in the qualifying process. Not saying that all of the WBSB members will participate, but they should at least have the opportunity made available to them.