Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: 2017 Mets Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    I don't care that they won. That was a HORRIBLE move. You do not pull your closer even if they are struggling unless it is the World Series. That is a confidence killer!
    I was in full agreement with pulling him. Familia has been shaky and this game they couldn't let get away. It would have been devastating. He gave up 3 straight hits. No way I let him pitch to Harper

Collins gets killed either way I guess.

Nice win tonight. 12 hits 7 runs

Score runs and you win. Very simple.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    If they don't get swept by the Nats this weekend, I'll be very surprised.
    I'm very surprised.
    Shalom, y'all!
    What's the rumpus?

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    I'm very surprised.
    Lol. Any given night

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    Nice win tonight. 12 hits 7 runs

Score runs and you win. Very simple.
    Very simple except for poor Baltimore. 11 runs and an extra innings loss. Ouch.

I don't care that they won. That was a HORRIBLE move. You do not pull your closer even if they are struggling unless it is the World Series. That is a confidence killer!
    I disagree 100%. FORGET a "confidence killer" for your former All-Star closer...

Losing THIS a game against the division leader?
    When you've led most the game?
    When you lead 7-3 heading into the 9th?
    When you're on a 6 game losing streak?
    When you've lost 10 of 11?
    When you've lost your best hitter the day before?
    When you've lost a bunch of other guys to injury as well?
    When you're starting to wonder if you'll dig too deep a whole for yourselves to climb out of before April's even finished?

That is a TEAM KILLER.

You do what you have to win that game. Period.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    I disagree 100%. FORGET a "confidence killer" for your former All-Star closer...

When you're starting to wonder if you'll dig too deep a whole for yourselves to climb out of before April's even finished?

That is a TEAM KILLER.

This team is dead in the water without a lights out closer or at least a closer with ice in his veins. They are also way out and need a lot to get back in. Even a series sweep keeps them far back and the team has many offensive flaws and now lacks a superstar to carry the team offensively. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Blog Entries
    This team is dead in the water without a lights out closer or at least a closer with ice in his veins. They are also way out and need a lot to get back in. Even a series sweep keeps them far back and the team has many offensive flaws and now lacks a superstar to carry the team offensively. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
    Very good points on both sides but I would hope this is a wake up call for Familia. He has been one of the best closers the Mets have ever had but he has come up small in a lot of big situations. I hope he learns that his spot is not safe if he doesn't perform. He should be pissed off and he should channel that into bearing down in those big situations and getting the job done. If he can't then maybe he isn't as good as we all thought he was.

Good win anyway and Collins move should light a fire under these guys. Hopefully this game goes down as a season changer.

Blog Entries

That is a TEAM KILLER.

Great post.

That is a TEAM KILLER.

I clearly agree with Shea (wow I haven't said that a whole bunch in the last 7-8 years..LOL). If he truly has ice in his veins and the short memory that closers need - he will blow off being taken out of the game. We will never know but if he stays in that game I don't see him getting out of that inning.

On another note....Can you imagine what happens to Collins today if he DOESNT take out Familia and Familia gives up a big hit to Harper to lose the game? He would have been run out of town.

I get that it is tough taking your closer out of a game, but it happens and Collins had to in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    Very simple except for poor Baltimore. 11 runs and an extra innings loss. Ouch.
    I will foot note that next time with - unless if you give up 14 runs

deGrom was allowed to throw 97 pitches on April 15th when taken out. The taxed bullpen, off 16 innings, then lost the game. I still think he could have gone longer. What next? 8 losses in 9 games.

Last night deGrom was allowed to throw 112 pitches. If taken out before 100, that is another L.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I will foot note that next time with - unless if you give up 14 runs
    Very simply good point.

deGrom was allowed to throw 97 pitches on April 15th when taken out. The taxed bullpen, off 16 innings, then lost the game. I still think he could have gone longer. What next? 8 losses in 9 games.

Last night deGrom was allowed to throw 112 pitches. If taken out before 100, that is another L.
    deGrom and Syndergaard have been the best 1-2 punch this team has had in a long time. They both rightly deserve to be the 1 and 2 go to guys. Harvey likes to make a lot of noise, but he does not have the grit of deGrom who can pitch when he doesn't have his best stuff, or the might of Syndergaard. What I liked about deGrom yesterday is that he did not implode when he gave up the home runs. He came back and got into a groove.

Blog Entries

As the season goes on degrom will be allowed to throw more pitches. Warm weather is also good for a pitcher to stay loose.

Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    As the season goes on degrom will be allowed to throw more pitches. Warm weather is also good for a pitcher to stay loose.
    Definitely. Any Met pitcher going into the 8th- put it in the books more often than not.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415