Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mets Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by rjsallstars View Post
    Very good topic, too bad I am arriving late to the game! I think the experts are getting it all wrong. Baseball will never have as much physical action as Football, Hockey or Basketball. Trying to compete will just screw up what the game was meant to be. Baseball is a think and react game. I tell the kids that I coach that if they are bored playing baseball they are not doing it right. There are multiple scenarios that should be going through players heads while they are standing at their positions supposedly doing nothing. They should be ready and have already thought out each scenerio once the ball finally finds them. Their ability to know what to do BEFORE it happens is what will make them good players.

Give me a team that was mentioned like the 80s Cardinals who put the ball in play and make todays defense have to react and I will guarantee you a lot of games will be won because the defense makes mental errors due to not properly planning ahead for what might happen.

It is a very tough skill to teach young people but one that I feel is essential for players to be successful whether they are 13 year old kids or professional athletes.
    I don't think the pro players would be caught napping against a team like the 80's Cards. At that level I think the fundamentals - for the most part - are in place. There are players that just get there on sheer physical ability. Bernie Williams comes to mind. He just didn't have as they say a very high baseball IQ, but his physical tools made up for it. Then you have players like Arod and Jeter that had all the right instincts on the field.

I agree trying to compete with the other 3 sports on physical action level is a losing battle for baseball, but baseball can still do a lot to keep the pace moving. Most of the things will not happen because of the players union.

Baseball is so much different than the other sports - first of all its the only game where the defense has the ball.

Also you never know what defensive player is suddenly going to become the "quarterback" of the defense with the ball and have to make the correct play. To your point there are so many variables that defenders have to run through their head on any given situation. With that there is also the chance none of it happens.
    Last edited by Paulypal; 04-20-2017 at 01:07 PM.

Mets activate Jeurys Familia, promote Kevin Plawecki and demote Rafael Montero and Sean Gilmartin:
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...uspension.html

If Plawecki is coming up, is d'arnaud injured? He left last night's game for Rene Rivera.
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

The Mets were a mess tonight.

The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue387 View Post
    The Mets were a mess tonight.

At least the Rangers won to take the series to 3-2 in their favor going back to the Garden!

Quote Originally Posted by jjpm74 View Post
    At least the Rangers won to take the series to 3-2 in their favor going back to the Garden!
    As long as the Rangers are in the playoffs, I practically tune out baseball. In fact, watch playoff hockey - any teams- and switch over to a half empty baseball park and it becomes close to watching paint dry. Once the Rangers are done, and the playoffs are over, I can bring it down a few notches and enjoy baseball again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    As long as the Rangers are in the playoffs, I practically tune out baseball. In fact, watch playoff hockey - any teams- and switch over to a half empty baseball park and it becomes close to watching paint dry. Once the Rangers are done, and the playoffs are over, I can bring it down a few notches and enjoy baseball again.
    No team for me to root for. Full baseball mode unfortunately!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I don't think the pro players would be caught napping against a team like the 80's Cards. At that level I think the fundamentals - for the most part - are in place. There are players that just get there on sheer physical ability. Bernie Williams comes to mind. He just didn't have as they say a very high baseball IQ, but his physical tools made up for it. Then you have players like Arod and Jeter that had all the right instincts on the field.

I agree trying to compete with the other 3 sports on physical action level is a losing battle for baseball, but baseball can still do a lot to keep the pace moving. Most of the things will not happen because of the players union.

Baseball is so much different than the other sports - first of all its the only game where the defense has the ball.

Also you never know what defensive player is suddenly going to become the "quarterback" of the defense with the ball and have to make the correct play. To your point there are so many variables that defenders have to run through their head on any given situation. With that there is also the chance none of it happens.
    I would love to see the results of some of the current players who should be DHs or not even on the field defensively against a team that put the ball in play and challenged the defense. It would also be a great benefit to have players who work counts and get to teams bullpens by the 6th inning consistently. It is easy to hide someone in RF, LF or 1st base when 35% of a teams outs are going to come from strikeouts. The Royals were a modern day example of a team that put the ball in play and we saw 1st hand the defensive struggle our favorite team had.

No team for me to root for. Full baseball mode unfortunately!
    I do like baseball a lot, but it's tough to switch channels and go from one pace to another instantly. If I just keep the channel on baseball, it's fine.

I also believe that regular season hockey is close to being irrelevant. Just be one of 16 teams to make the post season, and all is well.
    What other sport plays a full game at regular strength,(5 on 5) and then in a short 5 minute period reduce the players on the ice to 'make the game more open and exciting".(4 on 4). So, you sell regular hockey games as 60 minutes long, with 5 skaters apiece and for a 5 minute OT period you claim to make your product more exciting by reducing the players on the ice? And the league experimented with 3 on 3 to 'add even more excitement' ? And what is dumber than deciding a game with a shootout?

I can't imagine baseball with 9 players, and then in the 10th inning both teams have to remove an outfielder, and in the 11th inning both teams have to remove an infielder, and if the score is still tied, decide the game with a HR hitting contest.

I can't imagine baseball with 9 players, and then in the 10th inning both teams have to remove an outfielder, and in the 11th inning both teams have to remove an infielder, and if the score is still tied, decide the game with a HR hitting contest.
    The sad thing is baseball is thinking about switching to a format like this.

I would love to see the results of some of the current players who should be DHs or not even on the field defensively against a team that put the ball in play and challenged the defense. It would also be a great benefit to have players who work counts and get to teams bullpens by the 6th inning consistently. It is easy to hide someone in RF, LF or 1st base when 35% of a teams outs are going to come from strikeouts. The Royals were a modern day example of a team that put the ball in play and we saw 1st hand the defensive struggle our favorite team had.
    The late 90s Yankees worked pitch counts a lot. The result was many WS wins and the games were more interesting to watch.

Our favorite team just plays bad defense. I some spots they were super bad. That isn't the norm.

Our favorite team just plays bad defense. I some spots they were super bad. That isn't the norm.

Blog Entries
    A lot of players in MLB for their bats, not their gloves. Or rather their ability to hit Hrs.

I can. They were seriously discussing starting extra innings with a runner (or runners) on base, so anything's possible.
    Shalom, y'all!
    What's the rumpus?

A lot of players in MLB for their bats, not their gloves. Or rather their ability to hit Hrs.
    Very true - but in speaking of the Mets - they are bad defensively. I don't think there is any disputing that. I tend not to look at the rest of the league and say well they all suck. I know the Mets have good starting pitching, and are suspect in some areas. and very suspect in the rest of them.

That's not negative--- its a fact.

Very true - but in speaking of the Mets - they are bad defensively. I don't think there is any disputing that. I tend not to look at the rest of the league and say well they all suck. I know the Mets have good starting pitching, and are suspect in some areas. and very suspect in the rest of them.

That's not negative--- its a fact.
    And their best defensive player sits forgotten on the bench, while Curtis Granderson is patrolling center field and hitting .143. I think Lagares could hit better than .143 if given the chance. I like Granderson, always have, but come on.
    Shalom, y'all!
    What's the rumpus?

Quote Originally Posted by ol' aches and pains View Post
    And their best defensive player sits forgotten on the bench, while Curtis Granderson is patrolling center field and hitting .143. I think Lagares could hit better than .143 if given the chance. I like Granderson, always have, but come on.
    I think its time to make a decision on Granderson. He was an albatross last year for 5 months. He is no longer a good defender, and the team cant afford to have him be a non factor on offense.

Granderson is one of the better guys (seemingly), but everyone has their time.

I much rather see Lagares than Granderson, but I rather see Conforto grab regular at bats above all.

My opinion- Conforto is the everyday starter. Lagares gets the spot start and late inning guy. When Cespedes or Bruce get a day off Conforto slides over and Lagares plays center.

Granderson is the 5th OF'er or he gets relieased in lieu of a younger OF'er to fill the 5th OF'er spot with better legs for pinch running or defense.

I think its time to make a decision on Granderson. He was an albatross last year for 5 months. He is no longer a good defender, and the team cant afford to have him be a non factor on offense.

Granderson is one of the better guys (seemingly), but everyone has their time.

I much rather see Lagares than Granderson, but I rather see Conforto grab regular at bats above all.

My opinion- Conforto is the everyday starter. Lagares gets the spot start and late inning guy. When Cespedes or Bruce get a day off Conforto slides over and Lagares plays center.

Granderson is the 5th OF'er or he gets relieased in lieu of a younger OF'er to fill the 5th OF'er spot with better legs for pinch running or defense.
    And there you go- Conforto and Lagares in lineup tonight. LF and CF.

Quote Originally Posted by LI METS FAN View Post
    And there you go- Conforto and Lagares in lineup tonight. LF and CF.
    Unfortunately, Conforto is in left field because Cespedes has a balky hamstring, which he's getting an MRI for. But I'm glad to see Lagares get a start, it's about bloody time.
    Shalom, y'all!
    What's the rumpus?

http://nypost.com/2017/04/21/jacob-d...mets-casualty/

And the beat goes on--it'll be Harvey tonight instead of deGrom, who's been scratched with a stiff neck. Says he should pitch tomorrow, though.

Still, it hasn't been a good week for the Mets--losing 3/4 to the Marlins, 2/3 to the Phillies, Duda, Cespedes, and Flores will all miss time, and now this. The first Mets/Nats series of the season, and Washington's getting them when they're banged up and looking to rebound--or, as it seems sometimes in Metsland, a typical Friday.
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Quote Originally Posted by Shea Knight View Post
    http://nypost.com/2017/04/21/jacob-d...mets-casualty/

And the beat goes on--it'll be Harvey tonight instead of deGrom, who's been scratched with a stiff neck. Says he should pitch tomorrow, though.

Still, it hasn't been a good week for the Mets--losing 3/4 to the Marlins, 2/3 to the Phillies, Duda, Cespedes, and Flores will all miss time, and now this. The first Mets/Nats series of the season, and Washington's getting them when they're banged up and looking to rebound--or, as it seems sometimes in Metsland, a typical Friday.
    At least the Mets don't have Syndergaard riding dirt bikes in Colorado on his off day !

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast