Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: 2017 Mets Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    The irritating thing is the weaknesses and needed tweaks were obvious, but the front office literally did nothing to improve the team.

Blowing the budget on Walker and Bruce when the bullpen was thin was malpractice. A mandate from on top not to manufacture runs due to concern about outs on the bases is malpractice. The players we have are mostly here because they're theoretically capable of 20 HRs. Hitting and defense weren't a consideration. I've long said Alderson was a bad GM. Perhaps it's now becoming more obvious to others.

Ownership is horrible, but Alderson's decisions have been awful, independent of Fred and Jeff.

It's frustrating because the team has a lot of talent and the window for winning is limited.
    I don't disagree with you Mongoose. Alderson did not exactly do a bang up job, but you were screaming for Chapman when you know that the Mets are not spending $80M on a closer. I thought the Blevins signing was a good sign although its keeping one of your own - it was a good sign

You were also talking about Lucroy who had a good two months for Texas last year but now cant get out of his own way seemingly. Early but he has not been good. We just never know. A 31 year old catcher? They quite possibly screwed the pooch on that one, but maybe not. I don't disagree with you on this one but we shall see.

I am not sure what offensive players were available to them in the offseason. I know they tried to trade Bruce and or Granderson. Nobody wanted either one. Should they have traded any high prospects for McCutchen? There is no answer to that question yet.

Again - the problem the Mets have is really a baseball wide issue. There are so many players with 20+ homer capability that K too much. Having Bruce, Duda, Granderson in the lineup at the same time is a disaster. Conforto can be the difference maker., and he as to play.

It is very very easy to look at the box score and say -- well the pen blew the game, but that is just on the surface and for someone that is not willing to really look at the roster.

For instance last week the Pen give up 1 run in 4 innings and the Mets lose the game 3-2. Is that loss on the pen? F'n no way. The offense couldn't score a run off the Phillie pen. The offense is the glaring shortcoming of this team and I am not sure if its fixable this year or if the ownership will allow it to be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulypal View Post
    I don't disagree with you Mongoose. Alderson did not exactly do a bang up job, but you were screaming for Chapman when you know that the Mets are not spending $80M on a closer. I thought the Blevins signing was a good sign although its keeping one of your own - it was a good sign

You were also talking about Lucroy who had a good two months for Texas last year but now cant get out of his own way seemingly. Early but he has not been good. We just never know. A 31 year old catcher? They quite possibly screwed the pooch on that one, but maybe not. I don't disagree with you on this one but we shall see.

I am not sure what offensive players were available to them in the offseason. I know they tried to trade Bruce and or Granderson. Nobody wanted either one. Should they have traded any high prospects for McCutchen? There is no answer to that question yet.

Again - the problem the Mets have is really a baseball wide issue. There are so many players with 20+ homer capability that K too much. Having Bruce, Duda, Granderson in the lineup at the same time is a disaster. Conforto can be the difference maker., and he as to play.

It is very very easy to look at the box score and say -- well the pen blew the game, but that is just on the surface and for someone that is not willing to really look at the roster.

For instance last week the Pen give up 1 run in 4 innings and the Mets lose the game 3-2. Is that loss on the pen? F'n no way. The offense couldn't score a run off the Phillie pen. The offense is the glaring shortcoming of this team and I am not sure if its fixable this year or if the ownership will allow it to be fixed.
    They could have gotten Chapman for Dilson off-season before this. No new acquisitions this off-season. The only players they'll trade are salary dumps in which they expect the trade partner to pick up the whole salary. I believe not getting Chapman last year, not trading for Lucroy, not improving the team, is about Fred's stinginess. There's a strong aversion to picking up salary in a trade.

Even getting Bruce resulted from not wanting to pay Cespedes.

This has mangled the roster but Alderson's deficiencies have been a big handicap, too. Shipping out Dilson fast, plus re-signing Walker, was a CYA move to try to mitigate further humiliation from the Murphy catastrophe. This plus obsession with getting a sandwich pick resulted in misusing $17M+ of the cheapskate's budget, which blocked new acquisitions.

The obsession with platoons has damaged the development of players like Flores and Conforto.

If a player doesn't take a lot of pitches, regardless of whether he sees hittable pitches early in the count, he's dead in Alderson's eyes. This has resulted in letting Murphy and Turner go, plus blocked the logical move of putting Flores at 2B instead of spending a fortune on Walker.

Talent evaluation isn't a strong suit either.

It's sad, because the Mets have a great core that costs little. What a shame if it's not built around properly.

"The Fightin' Met With Two Heads" - Mike Tyson/Ray Knight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    They could have gotten Chapman for Dilson off-season before this. No new acquisitions this off-season. The only players they'll trade are salary dumps in which they expect the trade partner to pick up the whole salary. I believe not getting Chapman last year, not trading for Lucroy, not improving the team, is about Fred's stinginess. There's a strong aversion to picking up salary in a trade.

Even getting Bruce resulted from not wanting to pay Cespedes.

This has mangled the roster but Alderson's deficiencies have been a big handicap, too. Shipping out Dilson fast, plus re-signing Walker, was a CYA move to try to mitigate further humiliation from the Murphy catastrophe. This plus obsession with getting a sandwich pick resulted in misusing $17M+ of the cheapskate's budget, which blocked new acquisitions.

The obsession with platoons has damaged the development of players like Flores and Conforto.

If a player doesn't take a lot of pitches, regardless of whether he sees hittable pitches early in the count, he's dead in Alderson's eyes. This has resulted in letting Murphy and Turner go, plus blocked the logical move of putting Flores at 2B instead of spending a fortune on Walker.

Talent evaluation isn't a strong suit either.

It's sad, because the Mets have a great core that costs little. What a shame if it's not built around properly.
    Again - I cant disagree with much of what you said. The Mets have been run very poorly and despite that they should be in the hunt for a wild card spot. I agree it is a shame. They could be a total powerhouse.

Although I must say Kevin Long's theory has always been to go after strikes regardless of the count. When the term of "hunt strikes" hit this forum a few didn't know what it meant and jumped to their own conclusions. For a team that as you say takes a lot pitches they K an awful lot without the benefit of walks. I have to research pitches taken. That is one reason why I cant stomach watching Duda hit. He takes hittable pitches and then goes after garbage. Too many of his at bats are abysmal. Long doesn't teach that at all.

You know my feelings on Turner and Murphy as we have discussed both many times. We are more in line with Murphy but way off on Turner.

If they traded for Chapman last year he was walking this off season anyway.

I think there is just way way way too much emphasis put on draft picks and it forced the Mets to offer a guy coming off a back surgery to offer him a contract. I don't get it. Its absurd.
    Last edited by Paulypal; Today at 11:33 AM.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.3099796

The Mets should have Cespedes and d'Arnaud back in there today, so there's that...
    "Ya Gotta Believe!" -Tug McGraw ... "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life." -James T. Kirk ... "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -Sherlock Holmes ... "It is out of the deepest depth that the highest must come to its height." -Friedrich Nietzsche ... "There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet

Tonight's game has been rained out and rescheduled as part of a single-admission doubleheader on September 25 at 4:10 PM.
    https://twitter.com/Mets/status/856984058773086209
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112