Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Regular Season thread

2017 Regular Season thread

Tanaka getting creamed out there.

Oh good. Overreaction by New York media is what we need. For ***** sakes Tanaka. Do us solid please.

Maybe a case of the jitters. He's usually really consistent, isn't he? I haven't had a chance to watch him much over the years.
    2016 World Series Champions

Blog Entries
    I don't expect to finish 0-162 but we could be in for a long season.

I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago and just for fun I bet the Rays to win the World Series at 100:1, so that bet is off to a good start at least :-). I will of course continue to root for the Bombers and I am very excited about our young core. 2017 is probably a rebuilding year but the future is looking pretty bright.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Blog Entries
    It's the Yanks....they've been bombing on opening day for several years now.

But I was somewhat surprised because Tanaka had been on fire during ST. Maybe the change in weather effected him out there.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

I'm starting to think that the Yanks got the worst part of the Montero/Pineda trade. At least Montero tanked and allowed the Mariners to move on. The Yanks have seen all-too-brief flashes of brilliance in Pineda, but it's just enough to keep them going back to him year after year despite the overall dismal results. They should have moved on from him by now, but yet here he is as the number three pitcher in the starting rotation. I guess hope springs eternal.
    Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 04-06-2017 at 08:14 PM.

Oh my god, Yankees starter went 7 innings.

It's a miracle!

Blog Entries
    Great game by Pineda today! Let's see if he finds some consistency with Austin.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Imagine if this is the Pineda we would see more often than not. It would certainly change the outlook for the rotation. Now the just need to get the number 1 going.

Judge homers again! Gary who?

Verdict on Montgomery?

I'm confused. Why did Montgomery start today and not Severino?
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

The announcers said that everyone was pushed back a day in order to give Tanaka an extra day. Apparently Severino will start today.

As far as Montgomery goes, I thought he showed some promise. The radar gun wasn't working, so I couldn't tell his velocity and the difference between his pitch speeds. He threw strikes, and usually got ahead of batters. However, the further he went in the game, he tended to fall behind more. It seems had two strikes on almost everyone, but the second time through the lineup he had trouble getting the third one, which led to a high pitch count. However, if it weren't for that one mistake where he didn't get inside enough and gave up the two-run home in the first, he would have had a very good outing. I think he recovered well from something that had the potential to be deflating.
    Last edited by SD Bomber Fan; 04-13-2017 at 08:02 AM.

Thanks SD, couldn't find that info anywhere. So technically, Severino is #5.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

Blog Entries
    After starting off 1-4, the Yankees have won 6 in a row and are on pace for 103 wins.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    After starting off 1-4, the Yankees have won 6 in a row and are on pace for 103 wins.
    Thank you, Mr Sterling.

Blog Entries
    Aaron Judge is off to a better than expected start...and he's cut his K rate by almost half. May he won't just get a .230/.310 35 HR guy after all?

Aafter a great preseason, I was hoping some of it would carry over to the regular season. So far, it looks like it has and they have youth, and hopefully when Sanchez gets back off the disabled list he will resemble the hitter that he was when he came up from the minors last season. Looking forward to Didi's return too.
    The saddest day of the year is the day that baseball season ends.

On October 8, 1956, in game 5 of the 1956 World Series, Don Larsen of the New York Yankees, threw a perfect game against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monument View Post
    Thank you, Mr Sterling.
    Uh, thank you Suzyn.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

This has been an impressive and unexpected start to the season for the Yanks. I really like the depth they have with Romine and Torreyes (I doubt the starters could have done much better), and the four-man outfield rotation with Hicks seems to be working. The hot starts by Headley and Castro have more than balanced out the poor showings by Bird and Gardner. Even Carter got into the act yesterday with a PH home run. The rotation hasn't been stellar, but they've kept the Yanks in most games, which is what they're being asked to do. Hopefully, this isn't just a blip on the radar, and they can keep this performance up for an entire season. The one chink that I see in the armor is Clippard. If he isn't blowing a lead, he's coming darn close to it every time he's out there. That started in the WBC, and is continuing in the regular season. Girardi might want to re-think using him in tight situations.

Blog Entries
    Despite losing the weekend series to the lowly Pirates, the Yanks are still on pace for 99 wins.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

If there's anything that bothers me more than the Yanks not bringing in runners from third with less than two outs, it's getting shut down by pitchers the Yanks jettisoned because they couldn't play in NY. Pavano and Hughes come to mind from the recent past. Now I guess we can add Nova to the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast