Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Regular Season thread

Can't complain how its started so far. Not getting the clutch hit to tie on Sunday was a bummer but at least so far they've done this without meaningful contributions from Sanchez and Bird, who I targeted as the two big guns in the lineup among the newbies. Judge has been outstanding to watch.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by epaddon View Post
    Can't complain how its started so far. Not getting the clutch hit to tie on Sunday was a bummer but at least so far they've done this without meaningful contributions from Sanchez and Bird, who I targeted as the two big guns in the lineup among the newbies. Judge has been outstanding to watch.
    No doubt. It's been fun to watch so far. I miss Alex but it's nice to see some of the young guys come into their own. We're on pace for 102 wins!
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Now *that* was a great game to watch!

Like John Sterling said, "an improbable comeback. A Bronx Bomber night!"
    The saddest day of the year is the day that baseball season ends.

On October 8, 1956, in game 5 of the 1956 World Series, Don Larsen of the New York Yankees, threw a perfect game against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

And incidentally, I couldn't resist listening afterwards to the Oriole radio network version of the comeback and win. Joe Angel, who had one forgettable year in the Yankee booth with Sterling in 1991, was hilariously bad with an "Oh my goodness" after Castro's tying homer that exceeded any bad use of the phrase Waldman gets ripped for. Doing the postgame wrapup he sounded like he was going to throw a fit.

The Yanks hammer the O's today, 12 to 4. First place, 4 in a row. Hope it continues and Didi looked very good after returning from the DL. We shall see.

On October 8, 1956, in game 5 of the 1956 World Series, Don Larsen of the New York Yankees, threw a perfect game against the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Blog Entries
    On pace for 110 wins.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Great game at Wrigley today--a Friday afternoon game! Defending champs blow a 2-0 lead with two on, two out and two strikes in the 9th. After cubbies give Warren and Chapman their WS rings, Chapman comes in and strikes out the side in the 9th. ChiCubs due to win it all again in the year 2124.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

As much as I'm loving how the Yankees are performing right now, it does scare/worry me if they start to perform more like how we expected them to this season, but are still within contention of the division/wild card( a good chance, not a shot) come the trade deadline. Where Cashman might be tempted to trade the top prospects we gained last year to get players to make that push, but to fall short, especially a rental.

I would rather fail to make the postseason again with an eye for 2019 after being buyers in that 2018 offseason with Machado and Harper to complement our young guys.

Yanks take another one from the Cubs, 11-6. They plated 5 runs in the top of the first inning. Hicks was 4 for 5.

Blog Entries
    The Yanks aren't supposed to be this good. I was asked during ST what were my expectations and I said 3rd PL would be about right, but man.
    I didn't expect Pineda to be this good, I hoped that Severino would bounce back, and I didn't expect Aaron Judge to be this good....ever.

I thought Judge was gonna be a .230 35 HR guy but he's making me look bad! LOL

Aaron Hicks is also playing really well and I'm not sure if it's the Platoon-ish thing going on, or if it's finally clicked for him.

Whatever the case, I didn't expect the Yanks to contend until 2018 but now they're looking like they might just contend for a serious playoff run now.
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

It took the Yanks 18 innings to beat the Cubs 5 to 4 but Aaron Hicks scored on a fielders choice in the top of the 18th and the Yankees swept the weekend series from the Cubs. Longest game in interleauge history. That makes it 5 wins in a row for the Yanks and they start a series with the Reds tonight who are really hot this year and have also won 5 in a row.
    Last edited by Dutch; 05-08-2017 at 04:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    How long will Cashman allow Girardi to hand Sabathia the ball every fight day, when Chance Adams is dealing right now?
    "After my fourth season I asked for $43,000 and General Manager Ed Barrow told me, 'Young man, do you realize Lou Gehrig, a 16-year-man, is playing for only $44,000?' I said, Mr. Barrow, there is only one answer to that - Mr. Gehrig is terribly underpaid."- Yankees outfielder Joe DiMaggio

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    How long will Cashman allow Girardi to hand Sabathia the ball every fight day, when Chance Adams is dealing right now?
    Hopefully not much longer. Sabathia got shelled again tonight.
    My top 10 players:

1. Babe Ruth
    2. Barry Bonds
    3. Ty Cobb
    4. Ted Williams
    5. Willie Mays
    6. Alex Rodriguez
    7. Hank Aaron
    8. Honus Wagner
    9. Lou Gehrig
    10. Mickey Mantle

Quote Originally Posted by GiambiJuice View Post
    Hopefully not much longer. Sabathia got shelled again tonight.
    Yep, it has been a struggle for him lately.

The Yankees have promoted top prospect Gleyber Torres to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
    https://twitter.com/mattkardos/statu...07553198166017
    The Mets have the best, smartest fans in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyStarks View Post
    Hopefully all season long, if he pitches like he has in the two starts since you posted.
    Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen,and welcome to Yankee Stadium. Here are the lineups for todays game...

It's minor but I think they should have called up Williams not Refsnyder. Williams has not hit particularly well this year but has done well in his other brief MLB appearances and he is a much better replacement for Ellsbury than Ref. I agree with not calling up Fowler or Frazier at this point for a short stay due to 40 man roster issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12