Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've come up with a solution to the name/logo controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeshade View Post
    I ran across this Chief-type logo from a local t-shirt manufacturer.
    Thoughts? I like it. Dignified, Cool, colorful.
    It's not the worst logo I have ever seen. It sort of looks like what I recall seeing on the old photo. The one I am trying my best to recall had a red-orange Chief face and a full Chief headdress with feathers that were either red and blue alternating or else entirely 1/2 red and 1/2 blue. The Chief head was set in a square shaped patch. The feathers were drawn using all straight lines except for the tops. (From what I can recall. For all I know what I am trying to recall may have been the logo on the arm of a Boston Braves player like Wally Berger lol)

This logo might not be a bad start. My guess is they (Tribe Management) wouldn't go monochrome on the color scheme like the all-Blue above.

I ran across this Chief-type logo from a local t-shirt manufacturerAttachment 159615
    Thoughts?
    I like it. Dignified, Cool, colorful.
    The headdress doesn't look right for the Ohio area.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    I was in Cleveland last weekend and saw a lot of people wearing Indians gear, but didn't see much with Chief Wahoo on it. The people who make a big deal of keeping Chief Wahoo seem like the same kind of people who act like it's a courageous political statement to say 'Merry Christmas.'

I agree with you about the All Star Game. I think it's out-lived any value it may have had. I think they should scrap the ASG but keep the break for the players to have a short vacation during the season.
    Folks seem to fall into one of several camps regarding the logo.
    1) the vast majority- don't care about the controversy, don't see an issue, wear it because they wear it and if it goes away they'll say , "Aw. Too bad, oh well."
    2) the rabid Wahoo maniacs- they swear they will never go to another game or ever wear a block "C" logo if the Chief is booted. I suspect many of them just like 'stirring the pot' and making a big deal about it because they can. Many of these folks also enjoy 'trolling' on social media.
    3) those who want it gone...all of it- lose the name, the logo, everything. Most of these folks have heard of baseball, a few may have been to a game and it's just a 'cause'.

I submit that these three groups run in parallel to specific political viewpoints.

I politely disagree with the All-Star game viewpoint. I enjoy the heck out of it. Granted, it was waaaay cooler before interleague play but after the one in Cincy a couple of years ago and 2019 here at home....I'm likely spoiled and biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Calif_Eagle View Post
    It's not the worst logo I have ever seen. It sort of looks like what I recall seeing on the old photo. The one I am trying my best to recall had a red-orange Chief face and a full Chief headdress with feathers that were either red and blue alternating or else entirely 1/2 red and 1/2 blue. The Chief head was set in a square shaped patch. The feathers were drawn using all straight lines except for the tops. (From what I can recall. For all I know what I am trying to recall may have been the logo on the arm of a Boston Braves player like Wally Berger lol)

This logo might not be a bad start. My guess is they (Tribe Management) wouldn't go monochrome on the color scheme like the all-Blue above.
    Man, I have no idea as to what that logo may have been. I'm a bit of a Tribe history nut and I've never seen that. It may have been in an ad or a 'one-shot' sort of thing somewhere. If you find it, I'd love to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by EdTarbusz View Post
    The headdress doesn't look right for the Ohio area.
    You most likely know more about the 'right' look geographically. Have you ever seen a logo or drawing that might 'work' for everyone?

You most likely know more about the 'right' look geographically. Have you ever seen a logo or drawing that might 'work' for everyone?
    I doubt it, because most people associate Native American images from the west and not the east coast or Great Lakes region. If they want the logo to look more realistic I think they should base on someone like Tecumseh. He's probably the best known Native American figure from the Ohio region.

Man, I have no idea as to what that logo may have been. I'm a bit of a Tribe history nut and I've never seen that. It may have been in an ad or a 'one-shot' sort of thing somewhere. If you find it, I'd love to see it.
    I spent quite a bit of time looking at logos online last night, as well as old photos of Cleveland Indian (mainly Trosky and Averill) and even Boston Braves players of the 1930's and never saw what I remember. So... IDK. Maybe someday I will run across it again. If I do I will resurrect this thread and post a link or the image itself. I realize we will probably have all forgotten about it by then, but nonetheless, if I ever see the picture I will do that.

RE: What the new logo should look like in terms of authenticity, I think if the Tribe brass sticks with "Indians" and uses a new Indian logo, they are going to go for something that screams "marketability" and "merchandise sales" over worrying about how "Ohio" the logo is. Maybe they will get both, but if they don't, they will go with something everyone recognizes from movies and TV (Ironically, yet another stereotype, yet one that is deemed positive.) Just my thoughts on that aspect, I guess we will see.
    Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 04-26-2017 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calif_Eagle View Post
    I spent quite a bit of time looking at logos online last night, as well as old photos of Cleveland Indian (mainly Trosky and Averill) and even Boston Braves players of the 1930's and never saw what I remember. So... IDK. Maybe someday I will run across it again. If I do I will resurrect this thread and post a link or the image itself. I realize we will probably have all forgotten about it by then, but nonetheless, if I ever see the picture I will do that.

RE: What the new logo should look like in terms of authenticity, I think if the Tribe brass sticks with "Indians" and uses a new Indian logo, they are going to go for something that screams "marketability" and "merchandise sales" over worrying about how "Ohio" the logo is. Maybe they will get both, but if they don't, they will go with something everyone recognizes from movies and TV (Ironically, yet another stereotype, yet one that is deemed positive.) Just my thoughts on that aspect, I guess we will see.
    I generally can't stand corporate designed, focus group inspired logos and even names for that matter, so the thought of what would end up being a new logo scares the bejeesus outta me. I'd rather they keep the block "C" as it harkens back to the team's origin.

I generally can't stand corporate designed, focus group inspired logos and even names for that matter, so the thought of what would end up being a new logo scares the bejeesus outta me. I'd rather they keep the block "C" as it harkens back to the team's origin.
    God, do I agree with you re: marketing driven, focus group names! Worst thing to ever happen to major and minor league sports marketing and promotion. I much prefer a public "name-the-team" contest, the way we got Indians, (<supposedly anyway) Cavaliers, Barons (the old, Great AHL club at the old Arena) and they tried to name the original Browns that way too, but there was a rights conflict over the winning name: "Panthers" and rather than pay for the name to settle a counter claim, original owner Mickey McBride named the team after Coach Paul Brown. (I wish they had named the terrible new team something else, but that's for another Forum somewhere else.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12