Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sox 2017

Never mind!
    Last edited by westsidegrounds; 05-06-2017 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westsidegrounds View Post
    I'm going to be really busy for a while & won't be able to update properly. If anybody wants to take over please do!
    I'm going out of town for a bit, but thanks for keeping a log of our games. Will be useful later in the season. Well done my friend!

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop - our pitching can't keep outperforming our hitting all year when it counts.
    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur"

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for three days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

May 4 - Abreu homers in the first with one on to get the Sox started on an 8-3 win for a 2-2 series split with the Royals. Matt Davidson adds a HR in the 2nd.

Nice work by Derek Holland, giving up just 3 hits, 2 runs (1 earned), and a walk while striking out 7 in 6.2 innings.

For the Royals, Alex Gordon sets a club record by being HBP for the 79th time.
    Last edited by westsidegrounds; 05-06-2017 at 07:57 PM.

May 5 -

Sox mount a comeback in the last couple of innings at Baltimore, but fall short 4-2.

12 hits, but only one for extra bases (a double by Abreu), and 10 runners left on.

Starter Miguel Gonzalez does well, 6.2 IP with 6 hits, 2 runs (earned), a walk & five Ks.

May 6 -

The Sox put up a fight, coming back from a 4-0 deficit after 2, but can't pick up the tying run in the ninth. Orioles take it 6-5.

Cody Asche gets his first HR of the season, Abreu his fifth. All 6 runs (earned) charged to starter Dylan Covey on 10 hits in 4 innings (plus 2 batters faced in the 5th, no outs). Three solid relief IP from Chris Beck (2 hits, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts) and a perfect 8th from Tommy Kahnle (ERA 0.82).

May 7 -

And the road trip ends on kind of a down note with the Good Guys getting shut out 4-0 by the Orioles. A perhaps somewhat frustrated Rick Renteria got the thumb in the third, apparently his first regular-season ejection as Sox manager.

Jose Quintana goes five and gives up 9 hits, 4 runs (all earned) 3 walks, 4 strikeouts.

Bullpen excellent again with 2 hits, one strikeout, no runs in 3 IP.

Monday's off; next up, a brief homestand against the Twins and the Padres.

Anyone have any thoughts on us blowing $50 million on a 19 year old prospect? I personally hate it!

1. For that much money, we can get proven MLBers.

2. Cuban players are harder to scout, due to lack of equivalent high level talent in significant quantities to compare them with.

3. Age covering up issues. Would this same amount of money be spent on a 21 year old. Maybe.

4. The scouting issues of projecting 19 year olds vs. 21 (American college) players. The older players are easier to predict.

5. It is White Sox scouting, so I'm wary.

Points 3/4 overlap or contradict a bit, but I think you know what I mean.
    "If on-base percentage is so important, then why don't they put it on the scoreboard?" -Jeff Francoeur"

Play the Who am I? game in trivia and you can make this signature line yours for three days (baseball signatures only!)

Go here for all your 1920's/1930's OF info

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123