Thread: SABR's Negro League Research Conference

SABR's Negro League Research Conference

This really is a great conference for those who are interested in learning so much more about the history of the Negro League. A few details for all the members are on this official flyer, and I hope a few of you can attend, come back to Baseball Fever, and share with us some of what you learned:

negroleagueconference3.jpg

The 20th annual Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference, hosted by SABR's Negro Leagues Research Committee, will be returning to its roots on July 27-30, 2017, in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, site of the first Negro League conference in 1998.

The Malloy Conference promotes activities to enhance scholarly, educational, and literary objectives. For the past 19 years, the event has been the only symposium dedicated exclusively to the examination and promotion of black baseball history. The conference is open to baseball and history fans of all ages. Each year, monies are targeted to donate books to schools or libraries; raise funds for the Negro Leagues Baseball Grave Marker Project; and award scholarships to high school seniors in a nationwide essay contest and a nationwide art contest.

If you have any questions, ask, the actual founder of the conference is a member here on Baseball Fever.
    Attached Files Attached Files

This conference was founded in 1998 in Harrisburg and has met annually ever since ... it is more like a family reunion than a research conference ... I guarantee no attendee would be disappointed ... even if you are not familiar with the Negro Leagues as long as you have some knowledge and appreciation of the National Pastime you will enjoy this event.

The conference costs $200 for non-SABR members ($170 SABR members through 5/29/17) ... rooms at the Harrisburg Hilton are $144 ($129 plus tax) ... the conference will consist of -
    7/26 Private Party at My Home /9all attendees in town invited)
    7/27
    Educational Forum - where the inclusion of Negro League study in K-12 curriculum will be encouraged ... there will be a welcome, introductions all around, expounding on any project you are working on, and three (or four) lectures - one on diversity in K-12 education, one on utilizing Negro League baseball and the APBA MLB Game in an alternative classroom, another on utilizing an Activity Book to inform on Negro League baseball to 7th/8th graders, and a 4th TBNL
    Baseball Site Tour - visit exterior streetscape of homes of Oscar Charleston & Rap Dixon (Spot Poles sites w buildings no longer standing available by invite), 1st Baptist Church, Hygeniec School site (building gone), Cottage Hill Field (Harrisburg Giant homefield; two other Giant fields available but not on tour), Rap Dixon Dugout at Reich Little League Field, Rap Dixon Grave
    Meet & Greet
    7/28
    8 great research presentations TBA, an Island Park Panel discussing Negro League played there in the 30s & 40s, and Harrisburg Senators game NOTE: it will be the 21st annual Negro League Night
    7/29 5 more great research presentations TBA, plus some great panels: 1) a showing of the film "There were Giants"2) Q & A with director and others; 3) surviving members of the integrated 1954 Eastern Negro League Northern Division Champion Harrisburg Giants, and 4) a playing of Bob Peterson's Keynote Speech at the 1st SABR Negro League Research Conference nka the Jerry Malloy Negro League Conference with PowerPoint and hopefully Mr. Peterson's widow and daughter in attendance ... a Negro League Significa Test (after all, there is no such thing as baseball trivia, is there?) ... followed by an Awards Banquet with entertainment, silent 7 live auction, and Significa Finals. That's all y'all ... it is our 20th year and they all have been great.

I will be posting once decisions are reached on the 12 or 13 research presentations that will be offered at the conference ... I should add I will do so if there is interest. Thus, I ask for your input if you indeed are interested. A simple: "hello" or "please do" or yes I am" will let me know

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RapDixon View Post
    I will be posting once decisions are reached on the 12 or 13 research presentations that will be offered at the conference ... I should add I will do so if there is interest. Thus, I ask for your input if you indeed are interested. A simple: "hello" or "please do" or yes I am" will let me know
    I for one always welcome more information on the topic.
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

and I for one (but representing a lot of us) would love to see you at the conference ... will post presentation descriptions as soon as they are selected

Yes, please do. Thank you so much!
    "It ain't braggin' if you can do it." Dizzy Dean