Thread: My only Career hit was a homerun

Blog Entries

My only Career hit was a homerun

Who am I???

There's many more than just one.

Dave Matranga, 2003 Astros

Quote Originally Posted by westsidegrounds View Post
    Dave Matranga, 2003 Astros
    Matranga used to post on this forum like 10 to 15 years ago. he was a big part of the "hitting wars" that happened back then and I think he also got banned for using abusive language in the hitting discussions (he was from Richs "hitting illustrated" camp that tended to be quite aggressive in the discussions).
    I now have my own non commercial blog about training for batspeed and power using my training experience in baseball and track and field.

Quote Originally Posted by dominik View Post
    Matranga used to post on this forum like 10 to 15 years ago. he was a big part of the "hitting wars" that happened back then and I think he also got banned for using abusive language in the hitting discussions (he was from Richs "hitting illustrated" camp that tended to be quite aggressive in the discussions).
    Well, you can't argue hitting with a guy who has a career SLG of .667!

Through 2015 there were 21 players with a HR for their only hit. Also, Keith McDonald is the only player with more than 1 HR with no other hits -- 3 H / 3 HR.
    One of them, Jett Bandy, had non-homer hits in 2016, so that leaves 20 unless there were newcomers in 2016.

Blog Entries
    Heres a list purportedly of eight. Of course the other 13 could be "developing" (i.e. struggling in the minors to get another major-league at bat).

http://www.thegoodphight.com/2013/9/...me-run-careers

The Browns' Stuart's 1921 HR is interesting because:
    1. It was his first AB
    2. It was his first pitch
    3. It was off of Walter Johnson
    4. It had already somehow gone down the memory hole by 1929. According to his SABR bio "Through the efforts of SABR's Records Committee in the mid-1990s, Stuart ascended from total obscurity to be accorded official recognition for being the first American League player to hit a home run in his first plate appearance. Stuart supplanted Earl Averill, a Hall of Fame outfielder who had previously been recognized as the first, in 1929."
    Last edited by Brownieand45sfan; 04-21-2017 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Macker View Post
    Through 2015 there were 21 players with a HR for their only hit. Also, Keith McDonald is the only player with more than 1 HR with no other hits -- 3 H / 3 HR.
    They should have given him a full season with 600 or so plate appearances!

Luke Stuart (2B, 1921 Browns) and Doug Clarey (2B, 1976 Cardinals) seem to be the only position players whose HR was not a solo shot, they both ended their careers with 2 RBI. Anybody (pos player or otherwise) have more? Anybody have a grand slam as their only major league hit???

Quote Originally Posted by westsidegrounds View Post
    Luke Stuart (2B, 1921 Browns) and Doug Clarey (2B, 1976 Cardinals) seem to be the only position players whose HR was not a solo shot, they both ended their careers with 2 RBI. Anybody (pos player or otherwise) have more? Anybody have a grand slam as their only major league hit???
    No. Through 2015, 5 have hit a 2-run homer. The only player with a 3-run HR is Mark Worrell of the 2008 Cardinals.