Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hitting - When It's Not A Mechanical Issue

Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    I'm surprised at how many answers are not discussing nonmechanical issues. In the MAJORITY of cases I see kids struggle against live pitching, it has nothing to do with mechanics or strength. First, I think it's helpful to break down hitting into 3 parts:

1) Mental readiness
    2) See the ball
    3) Hit the ball

Mechanics only matters for #3 and it's not the only factor. For #3 I have seen kids fail by having their mechanics go down hill by using an inappropriately sized bat, being afraid of the ball, etc but yes - #3 is usually a matter of mechanics.

#1 and #2 if done really well can sometimes allow a younger hitter (12 or below) against average pitching and a small field to be a very good hitter in spite of poor mechanics.

#1 requires a mental frame of mind that assumes each pitch will be perfect. You abort if it isn't a perfect pitch. I have seen so many kids come up to plate looking for a walk, or more often just not being ready to hit until they are sure if it's a strike or a ball, which is too late. Lack of confidence can also mess up readiness.

#2 can be thrown off by poor eye sight, lack of experience, or simply not having much eye/hand coordination talent. Takes a lot less eye/hand coordination to hit at the cages than it does vs live pitching.

I have seen many players who hit very hard line drives or hard grounders at the cages for the most part who strike out a ton and overall do poorly at games. Last year I had all our players reviewed at one practice by one of the best batting instructors at the cages and the kid who literally had the fewest hits on the team come out with flying colors - the batting instructor was very impressed and wanted to know more about him. In games - some combination of low confidence and not being able to see the ball well led to mostly poor results.
    I forgot to mention biggest one of all: pitch selection (part of seeing the ball).

Kids with great pitch selection get much better results than those who are at the two extremes (swing at almost everything, or looking for a walk). My son is someone who is great at getting contact and can easily do it even when the ball is a foot or more out of the strike zone. Whenever his confidence as a hitter goes way up, he has a tendency to become ultra-aggressive at the plate swinging at pitches more than half a foot out of the trike zone and putting the balls weakly into play, or popping them up. Then we have to go through a several week correction process where he reigns it back it. Been through this several times.

Funny at bat during BP two weeks ago - I threw a pitch to him that was going right at him - maybe even a little behind him. He jumped back over 3 feet, swings, and pulls it weakly to 1st base . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis7 View Post
    1) In terms of mechanics, the kid is fine. You have seen the slo-mo video. You have seen the stills. Yes, he's not perfect. (Who is?) But, it terms of hitting "mechanics" there are no major flaws and the kid is pretty spot on in terms of the swing, for a kid his age.

2) It's not consistent hard contact. He struggles getting the ball out of the infield.
    #2 means #1 is not correct. Technique not good.

Can you link to the thread with your kid's video?
    efastball.com - hitting and pitching fact checker

I hate to break it to you guy's again but there are “fast twitcher's” and lesser fast twtcher's that make up the velocity portion in all athletes and their performances, this includes batters..

But, don't tell the kid's, they don't need to know until they are mature, say College for most of them.

If he produces top spin exit, this kills slower people.
    Primum non nocere

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12