Thread: Lee Elia Rant - best rant ever?

Lee Elia Rant - best rant ever?

First of all, this is Lee Elia's classic 4/29/83 rant. Good job Grobber for capturing it.

It is extremely non-PC/not in good taste/crude/rude/not for young ears. But can anything beat it?

I did not see a thread on this topic.

Use good judgment listening to it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0CDtEz_Bo

"**** those ******* fans who come out here and say they're Cub fans that are supposed to be behind you rippin' every ******* thing you do. I'll tell you one ******* thing, I hope we get ******* hotter than ****, just to stuff it up them 3,000 ****** people that show up every ******* day, because if they're the real Chicago ******* fans, they can kiss my ******* *** right downtown and PRINT IT.

"They're really, really behind you around here... my ******* ***. What the ******* am I supposed to do, go out there and let my ******* players get destroyed every day and be quiet about it? For the ******* nickel-dime people who turn up? The mother******* don't even work. That's why they're out at the ******* game. They oughta go out and get a ****** job and find out what it's like to go out and earn a ******* living. Eighty-five percent of the ******* world is working. The other fifteen percent come out here. A ******* playground for the ****suckers. Rip them mother********. Rip them ******* ****suckers like the ******* players. we got guys bustin' their ******** ***, and them ******* people boo. And that's the Cubs? My players get around here. I haven't seen it this ******* year. Everybody associated with this organization have been winners their whole ******* life. Everybody. And the credit is not given in that respect.

"Alright, they don't show because we're 5 and 14... and unfortunately, that's the criteria of them dumb 15 mother******** percent that come out to day baseball. The other 85 percent are earning a living. I tell you, it'll take more than a 5 and 12 or 5 and 14 to destroy the makeup of this club. I guarantee you that. There's some ******* pros out there that wanna win. But you're stuck in a ******* stigma of the ******** Dodgers and the Phillies and the Cardinals and all that cheap ****. It's unbelievable. It really is. It's a disheartening ******* situation that we're in right now. Anybody who was associated with the Cub organization four or five years ago that came back and sees the multitude of progress that's been made will understand that if they're baseball people, that 5 and 14 doesn't negate all that work. We got 143 ******* games left.

"What I'm tryin' to say is don't rip them ****** guys out there. Rip me. If you wanna rip somebody, rip my ******' ***. But don't rip them ******* guys 'cause they're givin' everything they can give. And right now they're tryin' to do more than God gave 'em, and that's why we make the simple mistakes. That's exactly why."

Mantle, Foxx, Ruth, Thome - hammering me to a win and gunning down the competition in Draft a Team of All Time Greats.

My Tombstone Four

(Courtesy of Sultan, thanks Sultan)

Hilarious. He didn't survive the season, though. That 5-14 or whatever start he is complaining about other people complaining about never really improved and he lost his job with a 54-69 record. The Cubs ended up 71-91 in 1983, but he was right in that they were very much improved and heading in the right direction from where they were at the end of the 1970s. They did have a lot of solid young kids coming up at that time, and we obviously know now that they would run the NL East in 1984. I can see his frustration, and I certainly loved the knock he tossed out on the boo-bird Cubbies fans that show up to the day games! That "get a job" crack was hilarious!
    "After what I went through overseas, I never thought of anything I was told to do in baseball as hard work. You get over feeling like that when you spend days on end sleeping in frozen tank tracks in enemy-threatened territory. The Army taught me what's important and what isn't." Warren Spahn

The intensity made it amazing. Make sure you listen to it.

The crazy thing is that there were 7-8 reporters there, and only one (Les Grobstein) recorded it.

Mantle, Foxx, Ruth, Thome - hammering me to a win and gunning down the competition in Draft a Team of All Time Greats.

My Tombstone Four

Quote Originally Posted by Toledo Inquisition View Post

The crazy thing is that there were 7-8 reporters there, and only one (Les Grobstein) recorded it.
    It was awesome. The only baseball thing that I think is as funny is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9pxdNerOok

That was awesome too SavoyBG - I hadn't heard that before. "Rivers, Jackson and that other ******* guy" made me laugh out loud.

My Tombstone Four

That was awesome too SavoyBG - I hadn't heard that before. "Rivers, Jackson and that other ******* guy" made me laugh out loud.
    The other guy was Chambliss.

How about Tommy's answer when Rau says "I feel good, Tommy."

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    The other guy was Chambliss.

How about Tommy's answer when Rau says "I feel good, Tommy."
    Too bad there were no mikes around to capture guys like John McGraw and Leo Durocher.

An espn article from 2008 by Wayne Drehs, the guy who chased Steve Bartman

Fans won't let Elia forget meltdown

In this sanitised world it's refreshing to hear words from the heart by a manager

Quote Originally Posted by SavoyBG View Post
    Too bad there were no mikes around to capture guys like John McGraw and Leo Durocher.
    This is what I was thinking, but the first cranky SOB that came to mind was Frankie Frisch.
    "After what I went through overseas, I never thought of anything I was told to do in baseball as hard work. You get over feeling like that when you spend days on end sleeping in frozen tank tracks in enemy-threatened territory. The Army taught me what's important and what isn't." Warren Spahn

I still think this radio outtake from Earl Weaver is funny, and of course, it has some NSFW language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQbN0jFo_k

Quote Originally Posted by ian2813 View Post
    I still think this radio outtake from Earl Weaver is funny, and of course, it has some NSFW language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWQbN0jFo_k
    That's awesome too. I've had all of these for years.

Here's a version of the Lee Elia rant that was edited into a fake Cubs radio commercial. Again, NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FVMvREttCY

The Earl Weaver "Manager's Corner" is a gem.
    X
    Whatever happened to Harry Valdez?

There was a great Sparky Anderson rant against reporters shortly after he arrived in Detroit, but youtube took it down, unfortunately.
    "Hey Mr. McGraw! Can I pitch to-day?"

Wow, I never knew Les Grobstein recorded that. I used to always call into his show a few years ago.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Lasorda in' 78 after Kong whacked 3 homers to beat them. Its great.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
    Lasorda in' 78 after Kong whacked 3 homers to beat them. Its great.
    Paul Olden, the reporter who asked that question, is now the PA announcer at the fake Yankee Stadium.
    X
    Whatever happened to Harry Valdez?

Jay Johnstone transcribed, uncensored, the Elia tirade in his first book and the LaSorda tirade in his second.
    Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin Bill Ernie JEDI