Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Played & Died During The Same Season

Played & Died During The Same Calendar Year

Today I was asked on Baseball Almanac, "Why did the 1932 Pittsburg Pirates where a black armband?" I advised I had no idea and sent them here to ask a Pirates expert. But I did check to see if anybody from the Pirates had passed away in 1932 who had also played in 1932. Nothing matched, but I was still curious about similar situations.

The list below includes each player who passed away in the same exact season they were playing in or had played in. This DOES NOT include players who died after the following year (finished season in October, but passing away in January / February / March), just those who passed away during the same calendar year.

Played & Died In The Same Calendar Year

Died : Name

1955 : Agganis, Harry
    1967 : Bond, Walt
    1949 : Bonham, Tiny
    1978 : Bostock, Lyman
    1930 : Carlson, Hal
    1920 : Chapman, Ray
    1972 : Clemente, Roberto
    1892 : Collins, Hub
    1891 : Daily, Ed
    1924 : Daubert, Jake
    1903 : Delahanty, Ed
    1902 : Donahue, Tim
    1933 : Finn, Neal
    1956 : Gastall, Tom
    1925 : Goodwin, Marv
    1937 : Hatter, Clyde
    1940 : Hershberger, Willard
    1970 : Hill, Herman
    2002 : Kile, Darryl
    1935 : Koenecke, Len
    1907 : Leary, Frank
    1920 : Leonard, Joe
    1929 : Lerian, Walt
    1922 : McHenry, Austin
    1901 : McJames, Doc
    1887 : McKinnon, Alex
    1976 : Moose, Bob
    1979 : Munson, Thurman
    1956 : Peete, Charlie
    1909 : Powers, Doc
    1902 : Prentiss, George
    1909 : Sebring, Jimmy
    1928 : Shocker, Urban
    1891 : Smalley, Will
    1976 : Thompson, Danny
    1965 : Wantz, Dick
    1890 : Williams, Gus
    1993 : Young, Cliff

Hope you found this to be interesting in a sad kind of way...

Sean
    Baseball Almanac
    "Where what happened yesterday is being preserved today."
    Last edited by webmaster; 03-13-2004 at 03:56 PM.

Interesting list....I think Clemente and Munson's deaths hurt the most of any in my lifetime.

Played & Died During The Same Calendar Year

If you could expand that list to include players who died in the offseason following a season in which they played, I can come up with three more that fall in the first week of January:

01 Jan 77: Danny Frisiella - MIL (Dune Buggy Accident)
    05 Jan 75: Don Wilson - HOU (Apparent siucide)
    06 Jan 77: Mike Miley - CAL (Auto accident)

Here is an article about some of those guys and others.

http://www.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/ne..._mlb&fext=.jsp

STL faithful should all mention - DK - Darryl Kile.

The freakish part of his death (in 2002) was that the last game he pitched was in STL...when the Angels came to town...and the Cardinals moved into first in the division...and Jack Buck also passed away - as if he was waiting for his Cardinals to move into first and couldn't until the "angels" came to town and his Cardinals were in first

Does Mike Darr not count because he died during spring training?
    Conor Glassey

"The secret of managing is to keep the guys who hate you away from the guys who are undecided."
    -Casey Stengel

Lyman Bostock was murdered (shot and killed) in a car in Gary, Indiana. His father had been a great Negro League player. I read the perpetrator was charged with murder but pleaded insanity.

» September 23, 1978: The Angels 27-year-old OF Lyman Bostock, a .311 lifetime hitter, is killed by a shotgun blast while riding in a car in Gary, IN. The shot was meant for one of the other passengers in the car.

» June 20, 1980: Leonard Smith, the man who killed Angels outfielder Lyman Bostock with a shotgun blast on September 23, 1978, but was later acquitted of the crime by reason of insanity, is released from Logansport State Hospital and allowed to return to his home in Gary, IN, because psychiatrists say he is no longer mentally ill.

I remember a few years ago there was a player on baltimore who died of ephedra.
    Hero's get remembered but legends never die

Steve Bechler was the Orioles pitcher who died of a heat stroke from the use of Ephedra. His family sued the company for $500 million and won the case!
    How would you use $500 million?
    2nd member of the Peter Moylan Fan Club

senseless loss...

Dernell Stenson played 37 games for the Cincinnati Reds in 2003. A top prospect who had seen AA, AAA and the majors all in one season, he had hit a home run in the Reds last game. The Reds sent Stenson to the AFL, where he played for the Scotsdale Scorpions. He was murdered (apparently for his car) during the AFL season, 11/5/2003.
    Last edited by eephus75; 12-18-2004 at 08:34 PM.
    eephus75
    "A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz." - Humphrey Bogart

What about the Indians pitchers? They lost a couple in a boating accident (I think I remember Ojeda surviving that) and then I think Mike Hill (?) died in a car accident trying to light a cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by comish4lif
    If you could expand that list to include players who died in the offseason following a season in which they played, I can come up with three more
    And:

13 Feb 64: Ken Hubbs - CHC (plane crash)

Quote Originally Posted by wprsnpr99
    I was at his last game and have a completed scorecard. It is very special to me.

Quote Originally Posted by wprsnpr99
    he was one of my favorites, i was absoluty shocked when i heard he died.

Quote Originally Posted by MrRuss
    What about the Indians pitchers? They lost a couple in a boating accident (I think I remember Ojeda surviving that) and then I think Mike Hill (?) died in a car accident trying to light a cigarette.

The Indians pitchers were Steve Olin and Tim Crews. They were both decapitated when their boat slammed into a dock while they were drinking and boating at night. Tragic.
    We own the West!

Trusted Traders: ttmman21, Dalkowski110, BoofBonser26, Kearns643, HudsonHarden, Extra Innings, MadHatter, Mike D., J.P., SShifflett

Quote Originally Posted by Zito75
    The Indians pitchers were Steve Olin and Tim Crews. They were both decapitated when their boat slammed into a dock while they were drinking and boating at night. Tragic.
    Would they be considered as "pitched" that year since it was spring training and not the regular season?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Would Addie Joss technically be eligible for the Hall of Fame? I believe the wording is something like taking part in ten campaigns. He died during spring training of his tenth season. Was that his tenth campaign? By the way, he is one of the most overlooked of the deadball pitchers.

On what wprsnpr99 and Big_Mac said, the day I found out Kile died was one of the worst days of my life. And I'm not even a fan of teams he played for but I just really respected him and thought he was a great pitcher. He is one of my all-time favorite players.

Addie Joss of the Cleveland Indians died in 1911.

Urban Shocker

Urbane Shocker began his career as a catcher then hurt his finger, permanently deforming it. The crook in the finger improved his grip and he became one of the best pitchers during the 1920s in spite of pitching for the mostly mediocre St Louis Browns during the best offensive decade. He became a full time starter at the age of 28 then died of heart failure at the age of 38 in 1928, his fimnal year in MLB.

Everywhere. Of course this is the favorable option, considering the alternative was 'nowhere'.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeCameronFAN
    Does Mike Darr not count because he died during spring training?
    Mike Darr was a shocking loss, not only to the Padres, but to the entirety of the MLB and the world. He was actually one of my favorite players even before he died.

But yeah, he should count.
    Back like I never left

Quote Originally Posted by charlesTG126
    First of all, Steve Bechler did not die of ephedra. Steve Bechler died of multiple organ failure resulting from heat stroke, which was probably contributed to by his ephedra use.
    Secondly, Bechler has no Major League experience, and therefore is not a Major League player.

Good try though.

Steve pitched for the Orioles in 2002. He was in 3 games pitching 4 2/3 innings with a 13.50ERA and 3 strikeouts.

How many players have died from injuries suffered during a game? Line drives or beaners?
    Last edited by bhss89; 02-25-2006 at 10:06 AM.
    "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Mickey Fuentes

Miguel ( Mickey ) Fuentes made his debut in the 1969 season with the Seattle Pilots . A tall , lanky lefthander pitcher he was supposed to become a regular Major League starter . Unfortunately he was killed during the off season in a bar brawl in his native town of Loíza , Puerto Rico .

On this list is two Angels, Lyman Bostock and Dick Wantz. Wantz died of a brain hemmorage and appeared in only one game.

Three others died during the offseason or in ST car crashes, Chico Ruiz, Mike Miley and Bruce Heinbechner (who still had yet to make is MLB debut, was killed in an auto accident in ST, but was slated to make the squad). Also, might as well add Minie Rojas, who just died a couple of years ago, but he was paralyzed in an auto accident which killed three of his kids and ended his promising career. Until Donnie Moore (another tragic figure) broke his record for saves in 1985, Minnie was the save leader for the Angels in a single season.

The Angels were truley a star-crossed franchise. 2002 exorcised those demons. The Cowboy would be proud.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast