• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RuthMayBond
    Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Zito75
    The Indians pitchers were Steve Olin and Tim Crews. They were both decapitated when their boat slammed into a dock while they were drinking and boating at night. Tragic.
    Would they be considered as "pitched" that year since it was spring training and not the regular season?
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• Brian McKenna
      • Sep 2005

Would Addie Joss technically be eligible for the Hall of Fame? I believe the wording is something like taking part in ten campaigns. He died during spring training of his tenth season. Was that his tenth campaign? By the way, he is one of the most overlooked of the deadball pitchers.

Comment

• RamMan12
        • Oct 2005

On what wprsnpr99 and Big_Mac said, the day I found out Kile died was one of the worst days of my life. And I'm not even a fan of teams he played for but I just really respected him and thought he was a great pitcher. He is one of my all-time favorite players.

Comment

• History Of Baseball Fan
          • Oct 2005

Addie Joss of the Cleveland Indians died in 1911.
          http://www.blackbetsy.com/movies/joeatbat.mpg

Comment

• HDH
            • Oct 2004

Urban Shocker

Urbane Shocker began his career as a catcher then hurt his finger, permanently deforming it. The crook in the finger improved his grip and he became one of the best pitchers during the 1920s in spite of pitching for the mostly mediocre St Louis Browns during the best offensive decade. He became a full time starter at the age of 28 then died of heart failure at the age of 38 in 1928, his fimnal year in MLB.
            In the 1920's, Harry Heilmann led the AL with a .364 average. In addition, he averaged 220 hits, 45 doubles, 12 triples, 16 homers, 110 runs, and 130 RBI.

Comment

• charlesTG126
              Mobile, Agile, Hostile.
              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by MikeCameronFAN
              Does Mike Darr not count because he died during spring training?
              Mike Darr was a shocking loss, not only to the Padres, but to the entirety of the MLB and the world. He was actually one of my favorite players even before he died.

But yeah, he should count.
              Back like I never left

Comment

• bluto1972
                • Jul 2003

Originally posted by charlesTG126
                First of all, Steve Bechler did not die of ephedra. Steve Bechler died of multiple organ failure resulting from heat stroke, which was probably contributed to by his ephedra use.
                Secondly, Bechler has no Major League experience, and therefore is not a Major League player.

Good try though.

Steve pitched for the Orioles in 2002. He was in 3 games pitching 4 2/3 innings with a 13.50ERA and 3 strikeouts.

Comment

• bhss89
                  The hips drive the swing
                  • Mar 2004

How many players have died from injuries suffered during a game? Line drives or beaners?
                  Last edited by bhss89; 02-25-2006, 10:06 AM.
                  "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it." - Sandy Koufax.

"My name is Yasiel Puig. I am from Cuba. I am 21 years old. Thank you."

Comment

• caribeño
                    • May 2005

Mickey Fuentes

Miguel ( Mickey ) Fuentes made his debut in the 1969 season with the Seattle Pilots . A tall , lanky lefthander pitcher he was supposed to become a regular Major League starter . Unfortunately he was killed during the off season in a bar brawl in his native town of Loíza , Puerto Rico .

Comment

• Bluesteve32
                      Super Angel Moderator
                      • Jan 2005

On this list is two Angels, Lyman Bostock and Dick Wantz. Wantz died of a brain hemmorage and appeared in only one game.

Three others died during the offseason or in ST car crashes, Chico Ruiz, Mike Miley and Bruce Heinbechner (who still had yet to make is MLB debut, was killed in an auto accident in ST, but was slated to make the squad). Also, might as well add Minie Rojas, who just died a couple of years ago, but he was paralyzed in an auto accident which killed three of his kids and ended his promising career. Until Donnie Moore (another tragic figure) broke his record for saves in 1985, Minnie was the save leader for the Angels in a single season.

The Angels were truley a star-crossed franchise. 2002 exorcised those demons. The Cowboy would be proud.
                      http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/ex...eline_1961.jpg

Comment

• Erik Bedard
                        all of the time
                        • Feb 2006

And nobody has mentioned Harry Agganis.

He deserves to be at the top of that list, and not just because it's in alphabetical order. Do you know how old he was when he died? He was just twenty-five years old. He and Tony C. could be in the HOF if it weren't for Agganis getting TB and Tony C. getting beaned.

Comment

• 125osprey
                          • Nov 2005

I can still remember the day Munson died. I was playing catch outside with a friend and we heard it on the radio when we came in for a drink. I also remember seeing a poignant picture in the newspaper a couple of days later of Graig Nettles standing with his cap in his hand and his head bowed at a pregame service. Sad.
                          1992 & 1993 World Series Champions

Comment

• soberdennis
                            • May 2006

Some of these are well known.
                            Clemente and Munson died in plane crashes, Munson during the season while flying his own plane. I don't think the Yanks truly recovered from that for a long time.
                            Chapman died from a beaning sustained during a game. The Indians went on to win the WS anyway.
                            Delahanty was found drowned in the Niagara river.
                            Hershberger shot himself during the seaon, a victim of great depression. As was the case with Chapman, his team wonthe WS that year(Reds)
                            Of course the greatest from this list was Clemente.

Welcome back ARod. Hope you are a Yankee forever.
                            Phil Rizzuto-a Yankee forever.

Holy Cow

Comment

Originally posted by soberdennis
                              Hershberger shot himself during the seaon, a victim of great depression.
                              Willard Hershberger didn't shoot himself. He cut his throat. To me, that seems like a much more violent way to end your life.

Comment

• VIBaseball
                                Mets/Brooklyn Dodgers fan
                                • Mar 2005

There's a lot of confusion about how Agganis died. Many accounts say leukemia. However, it was a pulmonary embolism. He had pneumonia and a lung infection, and developed phlebitis in his legs. A blood clot broke loose from his leg and killed him.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X