Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Braves Field - Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by 538280
    Very true. We might have Boston fans with their team winning 13 straight division titles, and only one World Series in those division titles, the Boston fans would be fuming. Meanwhile... in Atlanta

We would have fans celebrating their first World Series in 86 years. Go Atlanta Red Sox!

Seriously, though, the Braves move from Boston to Milwaukee might have been the most significant happening in baseball history. What would have happened if the Boston Braves had Eddie Mathews, Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, and all the greats that lifted the great Milwaukee Braves of the late 1950s? What would be the Red Sox fate? Boston probably wouldn't be big enough to have two teams. It would have changed the whole history of the game.

What would happen if the Braves never did move to Milwaukee? That is a fascinating question, that brings up many frightening answers, especially to Red Sox fans.
    Interesting dilemma. One of the Boston teams HAD to relocate between 1952 and 1961 with new markets ready for franchises and Boston's inability to support two teams. The Red Sox were the dominant franchise economically in Boston for years. The only time the Braves outdrew the Sox was in the early 1930's, when the Sox stunk and Fenway was desperately in need of upgrade. When Yawkey bought the Sox, rebuilt Fenway and brought in top talent, the Sox blew past the Braves and never looked back. Query what would have happened in Yawkey had bought the Braves instead.

However, the Braves had some great talent in the pipeline when they left Boston. Not only Spahn, Mathews and Aaron, but most of the major stars of Milwaukee were already on the team or in the system. The Sox would have been quite vulnerable if the Braves hung around as Yawkey lost interest in the Sox during the 50's. Ted Williams was the only thing keeping fans in the stands in Boston in the mid-late 50's. I could actually imagine Yawkey teaming with the Athletics or Senators to move to LA and SF before the Dodgers and Giants got the idea. Consider the "Los Angeles Red Sox".

What happens to Fenway if the Sox move? It would probably have been torn down or sold to BU like Brave's Field was. If so, by 1970 at the latest, Boston would probably have gotten a multipurpose stadium for the Braves and Patriots that would have been replaced in the 1990's by a nice retro ballpark. It's also possible that the Braves could have moved to Fenway, but unlikely because of Fenway's size. With extra revenue, Brave's Field could have been significantly remodeled, or its site used for an entirely new stadium.

The most intriguing thing about this alternative universe is the potential impact of Boston's baseball economics freed from Yawkey's racism and the Yankees' shadow. In the NL, Boston might have been dominant beyond what either the Sox or Braves have accomplished. Of course, you would still need good management, and there's never a guaranty of that.
    Last edited by southendgrounds; 12-01-2005 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by southendgrounds
    What happens to Fenway if the Sox move? It would probably have been torn down or sold to BU like Brave's Field was. If so, by 1970 at the latest, Boston would probably have gotten a multipurpose stadium for the Braves and Patriots that would have been replaced in the 1990's by a nice retro ballpark. It's also possible that the Braves could have moved to Fenway, but unlikely because of Fenway's size. With extra revenue, Brave's Field could have been significantly remodeled, or its site used for an entirely new stadium.
    Actually I think the Patriots would have had a new stadium built on Fenway's site to be used by BU and BC(no Alumni Stadium, no Nickerson Field). There would have been a brand new stadium built closer to downtown in the mid 60s or 70s to replace Braves Field, sort of like the plans for a new stadium that was batted around back in 1999.

The most intriguing thing about this alternative universe is the potential impact of Boston's baseball economics freed from Yawkey's racism and the Yankees' shadow. In the NL, Boston might have been dominant beyond what either the Sox or Braves have accomplished. Of course, you would still need good management, and there's never a guaranty of that.
    I think Billy Southworth may have been able to pull them together and get them over the hump to the World Series sooner had the team had more money. The team may have been able to buy one or two hot young bats and possibly getting a local hot youths like Tony Conigliaro to keep the Braves in it for years to come.
    Best posts ever:
    Quote Originally Posted by nymdan View Post
    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthMayBond View Post
    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Exclamation Please help me find something relevant!

I am trying to find anything that names my grandfather as a player for the Boston Braves. I do not have much info to go on. His name was Maurice Proulx and I know he was an alternate pitcher for two consecutive seasons. My grandmother thinks he played in the late 1940's but is not certain. I looked at every roster list for the Boston Braves on the baseball-almanac website and found nothing. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to piece together collectibles as well as anything reffering to my grandfather for my father's birthday. Any helpful ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

You might want to contact the folks who put this site together.

http://www.retrosheet.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jocelyn
    I am trying to find anything that names my grandfather as a player for the Boston Braves. I do not have much info to go on. His name was Maurice Proulx and I know he was an alternate pitcher for two consecutive seasons. My grandmother thinks he played in the late 1940's but is not certain. I looked at every roster list for the Boston Braves on the baseball-almanac website and found nothing. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to piece together collectibles as well as anything reffering to my grandfather for my father's birthday. Any helpful ideas are appreciated. Thank you!
    I checked baseball.refrence for that name. It scored no hits meaning that he probably did not appear in MLB. However, he may have pitched in the Braves Minor League farm system. baseball.reference does not track players who were in the farm system only.
    Not sure what your grandmother means by and alternate pitcher. My guess is that he was in the Minor Leagues.
    Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Jury Box

Here is a old photo of braves field jury box in right field.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

braves field

Here is a photo of braves field from above.

Braves Field Seating

Here is a braves field seating diagram from the 1950s.

Braves Field & Fenway Park

I would like to know where Braves Field & Fenway Park were in relationship to each other geographically. Were they close by each other or in completely different parts of town as with Comiskey Park & Wrigley Field in Chicago? Also were their fans' demographics different, again as with the White Sox & Cubs?
    Brownie31

Quote Originally Posted by Brownie31
    I would like to know where Braves Field & Fenway Park were in relationship to each other geographically. Were they close by each other or in completely different parts of town as with Comiskey Park & Wrigley Field in Chicago? Also were their fans' demographics different, again as with the White Sox & Cubs?
    Brownie31
    They were less than a mile from one another, just down Commonwealth Ave. Easilly walkable or by trolley.
    Best posts ever:

Thanks

elfin98: Thanks very much. Have a great weekend!-Brownie31

In this Google satellite image you can easily see Fenway Park just right of center, and the site of Braves Field, now Boston University's Nickerson Field, about one mile west along the Mass Turnpike. The red roof of the old ticket office (see great photos from Polo Grounds 1957, Coal Cracker, and others in this thread) is visible just south of the grandstand.

http://www.google.com/local?f=q&hl=e...7,0.040727&t=k
    Last edited by Chef Bill; 03-09-2006 at 09:31 PM.
    "Chef Bill"
    Boynton Beach, Florida

Quote Originally Posted by efin98
    Not quite, they let the wrong team leave Boston!!!! If only they had a few more years...

And you would never know part of Nickerson Field was once Braves Field. The designers BU hired did an exceptional job, could never notice that part of the stands were over 90 years old...I didn't even notice until my father pointed that fact out and showed the plaque honoring the stadium.
    It's easy to say the wrong team left Boston. But 285,000 fans "packed" Braves Field in 1952. The Sox get that for a homestand in a smaller ballpark.
    I'm not a Sox fan. But it is very unfortunate that the Braves were not supported their last year in Beantown. A rate of less than 4000 a game.
    By not supporting the Braves Boston never had Aaron. They also lost out on a chance to root for Sammy Baugh by not supporting the Redskins.
    Boston could have done better for the Braves.

Quote Originally Posted by 538280
    Very true. We might have Boston fans with their team winning 13 straight division titles, and only one World Series in those division titles, the Boston fans would be fuming. Meanwhile... in Atlanta

We would have fans celebrating their first World Series in 86 years. Go Atlanta Red Sox!

Seriously, though, the Braves move from Boston to Milwaukee might have been the most significant happening in baseball history. What would have happened if the Boston Braves had Eddie Mathews, Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, and all the greats that lifted the great Milwaukee Braves of the late 1950s? What would be the Red Sox fate? Boston probably wouldn't be big enough to have two teams. It would have changed the whole history of the game.

What would happen if the Braves never did move to Milwaukee? That is a fascinating question, that brings up many frightening answers, especially to Red Sox fans.
    Mathews and Spahn played in Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by soberdennis
    Mathews and Spahn played in Boston.
    Mathews was there for only a year before the move and would have required a few years to become the Braves' version of Ted Williams.

Spahn may have been great, but he lacked the big slugger to bring in the fans...you can only do so much with pitching, slugging brings in the fans.
    Best posts ever:

Quote Originally Posted by POLO GROUNDS 1957
    Here is a old photo of braves field jury box in right field.

Does anybody have a panoramic or overhead photo of Braves Field when it was 402'-550'-402'? I'd love to see that, but never have.

wamby Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by southendgrounds

There would have still been a Boston/New York rivalry, except that it would have the Boston Braves and the Brooklyn Dodgers. I think thet one would have been much better than Yanks/Red Sox.

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    Quote Originally Posted by wamby
    There would have still been a Boston/New York rivalry, except that it would have the Boston Braves and the Brooklyn Dodgers. I think thet one would have been much better than Yanks/Red Sox.
    I think you are right, wamby.

If the Boston Braves were anything like the Milwaukee Braves (and by all accounts they were), I can tell you the rivalry would have been, at the very least, equal to the Red Sox/pinstriper rivalry of today.

I remember in 1956 when WE came down to the last two days of the season fighting for the NL pennant with Milwaukee. They, and their fans, never forgave US for winning that one. They immediately painted a sign on their rightfield wall in County Stadium that said "OK, BROOKLYN, Wait "Til Next Year"! When WE went to Milwaukee in 1957, it was still there. The sad thing is, all they lost was a pennant....WE lost OUR TEAM! I would have been only to happy to trade places with them; the 1956 NL pennant for keeping OUR DODGERS in Brooklyn.

c.

Quote Originally Posted by DODGER DEB
    I think you are right, wamby.

If the Boston Braves were anything like the Milwaukee Braves (and by all accounts they were), I can tell you the rivalry would have been, at the very least, equal to the Red Sox/pinstriper rivalry of today.
    I don't think it would. Brooklyn/New York was the big rivalry then and a Brooklyn/Boston or even Boston/New York wouldn't have been as big.

I think the Braves likely would have picked up a rivalry with the Phillies, feeding off of the simmering Boston vs. Philly battles in basketball and later hockey.
    Best posts ever:

Bedford Avenue at Sullivan Place in a Marble ROTUNDA
    Quote Originally Posted by efin98
    I don't think it would. Brooklyn/New York was the big rivalry then and a Brooklyn/Boston or even Boston/New York wouldn't have been as big.

I think the Braves likely would have picked up a rivalry with the Phillies, feeding off of the simmering Boston vs. Philly battles in basketball and later hockey.
    I agree, efin98, that the BIG rivalry in the '50's was indeed the BROOKLYN/GIANTS rivalry. However, having lived through it, I can tell you the Milwaukee/BROOKLYN rivalry, given a little more time, was also shaping up to be quite a rivalry. Of course, I am talking strictly baseball here. Once the Braves moved to Milwaukee in 1953, they wanted (needed) to win badly, and WE stood in their way. That was the beginning of it.

c.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast