X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marckymarc71
    • Jun 2004

Braves Field - Check it out!

I never knew that parts of Braves Field were still standing and used for Boston University. Imagine, you can sit in the exact same Pavilion and close your eyes and I bet you can almost hear the crowd watching Babe Ruth pitching for the Red Sox in the 1916 World Series!
  • donzblock
    Brooklynite
    • Jan 2000

The entrance to Braves Field is striking.

Comment

• tonypug
      • Nov 2003

At least it wasn't totally destroyed like some other great ballparks.
      Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
      www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Comment

• DODGER DEB
        BROOKLYN FOUNDER
        • Jan 2003

Which proves that the politicos running Boston in the mid 50's were much smarter than the idiots WE had running City Hall in NY in 1960!!

c.

Comment

• CaliforniaCajun
          • Jul 2004

Wow, a slugger would really eat his heart out with 550' to center and 402' to the corners.

Comment

• efin98
            • May 2005

Originally posted by DODGER DEB
            Which proves that the politicos running Boston in the mid 50's were much smarter than the idiots WE had running City Hall in NY in 1960!!

c.
            Not quite, they let the wrong team leave Boston!!!! If only they had a few more years...

And you would never know part of Nickerson Field was once Braves Field. The designers BU hired did an exceptional job, could never notice that part of the stands were over 90 years old...I didn't even notice until my father pointed that fact out and showed the plaque honoring the stadium.
            Best posts ever:
            Originally posted by nymdan
            Too... much... math... head... hurts...
            Originally posted by RuthMayBond
            I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Coal Cracker
              Waiting for Spring
              • Apr 2004

Always nice to see an old stadium get a new life, at least in some capacity. When Yankee Stadium's demise inevitably arrives I hope at least part of the structure is left. I have heard that the playing field will be kept for local high school and college use.

Comment

Prophet of Rage
                • May 2005

Many old stadiums have been destroyed in the name of "progress", such as the Polo Grounds and Ebbets Field, but I think more progress, and money, would be made if they were left open as tourist attractions, glad that Braves Field is still partly standing.

Comment

Prophet of Rage
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by efin98
                  Not quite, they let the wrong team leave Boston!!!! If only they had a few more years...
                  Very true. We might have Boston fans with their team winning 13 straight division titles, and only one World Series in those division titles, the Boston fans would be fuming. Meanwhile... in Atlanta

We would have fans celebrating their first World Series in 86 years. Go Atlanta Red Sox!

Seriously, though, the Braves move from Boston to Milwaukee might have been the most significant happening in baseball history. What would have happened if the Boston Braves had Eddie Mathews, Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, and all the greats that lifted the great Milwaukee Braves of the late 1950s? What would be the Red Sox fate? Boston probably wouldn't be big enough to have two teams. It would have changed the whole history of the game.

What would happen if the Braves never did move to Milwaukee? That is a fascinating question, that brings up many frightening answers, especially to Red Sox fans.
                  Last edited by 538280; 05-28-2005, 04:36 PM.

Comment

• efin98
                    • May 2005

The Red Sox of that era were all offense, some defense. The Braves were all defense, little offense. Bring in Eddie Matthews and Hank Aaron and you change the dynamic of the game. Fans flock to Braves Field to see the hot young team, the Sox are forced to make moves to get the team in the right direction...and the rest is history.

Who knows what teams would have ended up where. Who knows how the AL and NL would look and which cities would have gotten each others teams. Only one thing is certain, it's a shame it all had to happen in the first place...
                    Best posts ever:
                    Originally posted by nymdan
                    Too... much... math... head... hurts...
                    Originally posted by RuthMayBond
                    I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• tonypug
                      • Nov 2003

Lou Perrini wanted to stay in Boston at least one more year, to see if the fans would support the team. When faced with the possibility of Bill Veeck and the Browns grabbing Milwaukee first, he had to make the move. Thats why the move was so sudden , announced just a couple of months before the start of the season.Aaron , Mathews, Spahn were all on that team. It would have been interesting to see if the fans would have come out.

Comment

• JACKIE42
                        Team Veteran
                        • Nov 2002

This is what N.Y. Politicians let happen in 1960s.

Last edited by JACKIE42; 06-02-2005, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Prophet of Rage
                          • May 2005

Originally posted by JACKIE42
                          This is what N.Y. Politicians let happen in 1960s.

That's just sad, Jackie, it really is. As I said before, so many great symbols of history have been destroyed in the name of progress, when in reality, more progress and money would be made by keeping them around as tourist attractions.

Comment

• tonypug
                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by 538280
                            That's just sad, Jackie, it really is. As I said before, so many great symbols of history have been destroyed in the name of progress, when in reality, more progress and money would be made by keeping them around as tourist attractions.
                            Every time I see these pictures I get pissed off again.

Comment

• tonypug
                              • Nov 2003

I know Marvin Kratter built the Ebbets Field apartments, anyone know who built the Polo Grounds apartments?

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X