• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DODGER DEB
    BROOKLYN FOUNDER
    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by tonypug
    I know Marvin Kratter built the Ebbets Field apartments, anyone know who built the Polo Grounds apartments?

Probably another Kratter family member! h

c.

Comment

• efin98
      • May 2005

And fitting for the trend, BU built several high rise dorms on the site of what I believe would be the grand stand...
      Best posts ever:
      Originally posted by nymdan
      Too... much... math... head... hurts...
      Originally posted by RuthMayBond
      I understand, I lost all my marbles years ago

Comment

• Elvis
        Team Veteran
        • Jul 2004

And what about glorious Penn Station? That was a tragedy too.

Comment

• efin98
          • May 2005

Noticed another remnant of Braves field is still seen: the footprint of the stadium is clearly visible from the air and in the buildings built on the old grand stand area. Plus the old support for the grand stand is visible as a wall for the near goal for the home team, covered in ivy yet still visible as some sort of former support structure above field level as seen here ...
          Last edited by efin98; 06-19-2005, 02:24 PM.
          Best posts ever:

Comment

• RedSox2004
            • Jun 2005

This is my favorite shot of the old Braves Field

The scoreboard seen here was installed in 1948 and then moved to Kansas City in 1955

Nickerson Field in 2005

Last edited by RedSox2004; 11-16-2005, 12:37 PM.

Comment

• southendgrounds
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by 538280
              Very true. We might have Boston fans with their team winning 13 straight division titles, and only one World Series in those division titles, the Boston fans would be fuming. Meanwhile... in Atlanta

We would have fans celebrating their first World Series in 86 years. Go Atlanta Red Sox!

Seriously, though, the Braves move from Boston to Milwaukee might have been the most significant happening in baseball history. What would have happened if the Boston Braves had Eddie Mathews, Hank Aaron, Warren Spahn, and all the greats that lifted the great Milwaukee Braves of the late 1950s? What would be the Red Sox fate? Boston probably wouldn't be big enough to have two teams. It would have changed the whole history of the game.

What would happen if the Braves never did move to Milwaukee? That is a fascinating question, that brings up many frightening answers, especially to Red Sox fans.
              Interesting dilemma. One of the Boston teams HAD to relocate between 1952 and 1961 with new markets ready for franchises and Boston's inability to support two teams. The Red Sox were the dominant franchise economically in Boston for years. The only time the Braves outdrew the Sox was in the early 1930's, when the Sox stunk and Fenway was desperately in need of upgrade. When Yawkey bought the Sox, rebuilt Fenway and brought in top talent, the Sox blew past the Braves and never looked back. Query what would have happened in Yawkey had bought the Braves instead.

However, the Braves had some great talent in the pipeline when they left Boston. Not only Spahn, Mathews and Aaron, but most of the major stars of Milwaukee were already on the team or in the system. The Sox would have been quite vulnerable if the Braves hung around as Yawkey lost interest in the Sox during the 50's. Ted Williams was the only thing keeping fans in the stands in Boston in the mid-late 50's. I could actually imagine Yawkey teaming with the Athletics or Senators to move to LA and SF before the Dodgers and Giants got the idea. Consider the "Los Angeles Red Sox".

What happens to Fenway if the Sox move? It would probably have been torn down or sold to BU like Brave's Field was. If so, by 1970 at the latest, Boston would probably have gotten a multipurpose stadium for the Braves and Patriots that would have been replaced in the 1990's by a nice retro ballpark. It's also possible that the Braves could have moved to Fenway, but unlikely because of Fenway's size. With extra revenue, Brave's Field could have been significantly remodeled, or its site used for an entirely new stadium.

The most intriguing thing about this alternative universe is the potential impact of Boston's baseball economics freed from Yawkey's racism and the Yankees' shadow. In the NL, Boston might have been dominant beyond what either the Sox or Braves have accomplished. Of course, you would still need good management, and there's never a guaranty of that.
              Last edited by southendgrounds; 12-01-2005, 08:04 AM.

Comment

• efin98
                • May 2005

Originally posted by southendgrounds
                What happens to Fenway if the Sox move? It would probably have been torn down or sold to BU like Brave's Field was. If so, by 1970 at the latest, Boston would probably have gotten a multipurpose stadium for the Braves and Patriots that would have been replaced in the 1990's by a nice retro ballpark. It's also possible that the Braves could have moved to Fenway, but unlikely because of Fenway's size. With extra revenue, Brave's Field could have been significantly remodeled, or its site used for an entirely new stadium.
                Actually I think the Patriots would have had a new stadium built on Fenway's site to be used by BU and BC(no Alumni Stadium, no Nickerson Field). There would have been a brand new stadium built closer to downtown in the mid 60s or 70s to replace Braves Field, sort of like the plans for a new stadium that was batted around back in 1999.

The most intriguing thing about this alternative universe is the potential impact of Boston's baseball economics freed from Yawkey's racism and the Yankees' shadow. In the NL, Boston might have been dominant beyond what either the Sox or Braves have accomplished. Of course, you would still need good management, and there's never a guaranty of that.
                I think Billy Southworth may have been able to pull them together and get them over the hump to the World Series sooner had the team had more money. The team may have been able to buy one or two hot young bats and possibly getting a local hot youths like Tony Conigliaro to keep the Braves in it for years to come.
                Best posts ever:

Comment

• jocelyn
                  • Jan 2006

Please help me find something relevant!

I am trying to find anything that names my grandfather as a player for the Boston Braves. I do not have much info to go on. His name was Maurice Proulx and I know he was an alternate pitcher for two consecutive seasons. My grandmother thinks he played in the late 1940's but is not certain. I looked at every roster list for the Boston Braves on the baseball-almanac website and found nothing. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to piece together collectibles as well as anything reffering to my grandfather for my father's birthday. Any helpful ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

Comment

• G-String Blues
                    • Oct 2005

You might want to contact the folks who put this site together.

Comment

• yanks0714
                      Yanks Fan Since 1957
                      • Jan 2000

Originally posted by jocelyn
                      I am trying to find anything that names my grandfather as a player for the Boston Braves. I do not have much info to go on. His name was Maurice Proulx and I know he was an alternate pitcher for two consecutive seasons. My grandmother thinks he played in the late 1940's but is not certain. I looked at every roster list for the Boston Braves on the baseball-almanac website and found nothing. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to piece together collectibles as well as anything reffering to my grandfather for my father's birthday. Any helpful ideas are appreciated. Thank you!
                      I checked baseball.refrence for that name. It scored no hits meaning that he probably did not appear in MLB. However, he may have pitched in the Braves Minor League farm system. baseball.reference does not track players who were in the farm system only.
                      Not sure what your grandmother means by and alternate pitcher. My guess is that he was in the Minor Leagues.
                      Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Yankees Fan Since 1957

Comment

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
                        • Jun 2004

Jury Box

Here is a old photo of braves field jury box in right field.
                        Attached Files
                        LONG LIVE THE POLO GROUNDS 1891-1964
                        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/POLOGROUNDS1962

Comment

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
                          • Jun 2004

braves field

Here is a photo of braves field from above.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• POLO GROUNDS 1957
                            • Jun 2004

Braves Field Seating

Here is a braves field seating diagram from the 1950s.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Brownie31
                              Urbi et Orbi
                              • Feb 2006

Braves Field & Fenway Park

I would like to know where Braves Field & Fenway Park were in relationship to each other geographically. Were they close by each other or in completely different parts of town as with Comiskey Park & Wrigley Field in Chicago? Also were their fans' demographics different, again as with the White Sox & Cubs?
                              Brownie31

Comment

• efin98
                                • May 2005

Originally posted by Brownie31
                                I would like to know where Braves Field & Fenway Park were in relationship to each other geographically. Were they close by each other or in completely different parts of town as with Comiskey Park & Wrigley Field in Chicago? Also were their fans' demographics different, again as with the White Sox & Cubs?
                                Brownie31
                                They were less than a mile from one another, just down Commonwealth Ave. Easilly walkable or by trolley.
                                Best posts ever:

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X