• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamrap
    Ballpark History Fan
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Capt Jack View Post
    Interesting "alternative universe" scenario regarding the Braves staying in Boston and/or the Red Sox moving. can't buy the part about ANY "new" stadium being built within Boston city limits over the past 50 years however...that's where "reality intrudes".

Fifty (50%) percent of assessable property in City of Boston is tax exempt (plethora of colleges, universities, hospitals, churches, city and state government buildings, etc.) , This has made developable acerage an absolute mirage. The Patriots were "rescued" by a last minute hastily assembled package in Foxboro (30 miles away) after the "last ditch" stadium proposal in Boston was voted down in 1970. Otherwise, Nashville, Birmingham, Memphis, et al were ready and willing to offer the Pats a home.

The recent "new" Fenway park proposal was laughable....build a replica of Fenway two blocks away...with a gargantuan right field bleachers (field glasses a necessity to see the bullpen from the top row of the bleachers). No room for parking, infrastructure, etc. Thankfully, the Henry group saw fit to "retrofit" the existing park into a very fan-friendly venue!

Braves Field was a deplorable dump for decades. In the 30's, Braves owners tried to get dog racing approved for dates when the Braves were out of town.
    The Patriots actually spent $500,000 (quite a sum for that time) in 1960 to "renovate" Braves Field for use as their first AFL field. That was the largest capital investment in Braves Field since 1948 (when lights were installed...many of which lasted until the mid '90's, when BU dumped football). It's inconceivable that, even had the Braves stayed and flourished in Boston during the 50's, that Braves Field would have remined their home.
    Jack ...
    The light towers at Braves Field were taken down in 1970, not the 90s ... I lived in the dorms overlooking the field, at the time

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
      • Apr 2005

These are some of my pictures I took last weekend of Braves Field. Man, it was exciting. I must be a baseball geek. This is the famous ticket office/clubhouse
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
        • Apr 2005

Here is a different shot
        Attached Files
        sigpic

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
          • Apr 2005

This is looking from the inside out towards Agannis St. I can see the Braves followers pouring in for the '48 Series opener through these gates.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Shotgun Shuba; 10-07-2008, 05:07 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
            • Apr 2005

The famous plaque. Thank goodness for SABR
            Attached Files
            sigpic

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
              • Apr 2005

The right field bleachers
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
                • Apr 2005

Looking out towards the Jury Box. I can feel the Babe's aura and Tommy Holmes trotting home.
                Attached Files
                sigpic

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
                  • Apr 2005

Under the stands, in the concession areas that remain the same as 1952, they say. I was really craving a dog.
                  Attached Files
                  sigpic

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
                    • Apr 2005

These red seats mystify me. They are the only ones in the stands. They might be left from 1952 as a memory. If somebody knows, please tell me.
                    Attached Files
                    sigpic

Comment

• Gary Dunaier
                      Thumbs Down Guy/Moderator
                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Shotgun Shuba View Post
                      These red seats mystify me. They are the only ones in the stands. They might be left from 1952 as a memory. If somebody knows, please tell me.
                      They can't be original seats... they didn't have plastic seats back then. Maybe when they installed these seats they decided to have them be red seats for the reason you state, but these are not original 1950s vintage seats.
                      My GIF has been viewed more than 377 million times!
                      https://giphy.com/gifs/mlb-yankees-t...wH6yMO7ED5xc7S

Comment

• teamrap
                        Ballpark History Fan
                        • Jul 2008

Those red seats were put in 10-15 years ago (I think) as VIP seats for soccer ... they have nothing to do with the old Braves

Comment

• teamrap
                          Ballpark History Fan
                          • Jul 2008

These are some of my pictures I took last weekend of Braves Field. Man, it was exciting. I must be a baseball geek. This is the famous ticket office/clubhouse
                          Those were the Braves executive offices, not the club house ... you'd see Lou Perini up there or Billy Southworth, not Sibby Sisti

Comment

• Calif_Eagle
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by jocelyn View Post
                            I am trying to find anything that names my grandfather as a player for the Boston Braves. I do not have much info to go on. His name was Maurice Proulx and I know he was an alternate pitcher for two consecutive seasons. My grandmother thinks he played in the late 1940's but is not certain. I looked at every roster list for the Boston Braves on the baseball-almanac website and found nothing. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'm trying to piece together collectibles as well as anything reffering to my grandfather for my father's birthday. Any helpful ideas are appreciated. Thank you!
                            After reading this I checked the SABR Minor League Data base, a truly Great site btw; & found no listing for anyone named Proulx that pitched in the 1940's. You can check for yourself at http://minors.sabrwebs.com/cgi-bin/index.php Sorry, Jocelyn was hoping to come up with something for you.

EDIT: just noticed that Jocelyn's original post was 3 years ago & that her post total is only 2. She probably wont see this reply, & its sort of out of place on this thread anyway, but nonetheless it IS a truly Great site for those who are interested in any specific players lifetime minor league statistics.
                            Last edited by Calif_Eagle; 02-17-2009, 07:06 PM.

Comment

• CROM
                              • Jun 2006

Those are some great pictures Shotgun.. i am mad at myself for just noticing this thread.

Comment

• Shotgun Shuba
                                • Apr 2005

Thanks CROM. It was a great evening in October when I stopped by, on a whim, and just walked right in. There was a girl's lacrosse game or something going on. It wasn't 2008 for me, though, it was the early 50's and I was soaking in the history. I don't think most people in NE even know the Braves ever played in Boston. It is cool that so much of the structure still is there.
                                sigpic

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X