View Poll Results: Will Scott Rolen make the HOF?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

34 32.08%
  • No

72 67.92%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Rolen

Scott Rolen

He's 31 and in his 11th season. I would like to get some thoughts on his career thus far and if possible some insight on where you think his career totals will end up? I know this calls for a lot of speculation. So I'll be the first to throw some projections out there.

I think he could very well end up with

Games 2502
    At-Bats 9170
    Runs 1610
    Hits 2600
    Doubles 616
    Triples 50
    Home Runs 462
    RBI's 1718
    Stolen Bases 150
    Walks 1250
    AVG .280
    OBP .370
    SLG .510
    Last edited by Sockeye; 06-06-2006 at 06:40 AM.
    "A ballplayer has to just go out and be mean. You can't play half-heartedly. If you do, there's someone right over your shoulder that'll take your job away. If you don't do your job, what they're paying you for, why should they pay you? You just can't put in eight hours, that's what a lot of people don't realize about athletes. Very few people realize the pressure." Dave Kingman

He is the greatest fielding 3rd basemen ever. Rolen is also a great hitter.
    GOT ALBERT?
    St. Louis Cardinals BBFTG Website
    http://www.freewebs.com/bbftg6/

Roeln is in danger of having injuries derail him, but if he's able to stay relatively healthy for the rest of his career, he's got a very good shot.
    Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
    Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
    Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
    Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
    Robin JEDI

Quote Originally Posted by Gashouse6
    He is the greatest fielding 3rd basemen ever. Rolen is also a great hitter.
    Probably not even top 10.....

I will be surprised if injuries don't stop him short of the HoF. And to think he will duplicate the production of his age 21-30 years over the next ten years is not remotely reasonable.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Blog Entries
    Rolen's case is a mixed bag. The biggest problem is he's 30 and has had injury problems. His ten most similar at this age is encouraging, and his peak performance is HOF worthy (11th in top 3 in win shares among 3B and 12th in best five consecutive). He's only about 60 win shares short of the top 20 3B in career win shares, which I think he should make. OTOH, he's not done well in black or gray ink in HOF terms, he's only been an all-star 4 times, and he hasn't done well in MVP voting. My guess is if he can stay healthy enough, he'll get there--but I'm not at all sure he'll do that. If he can't stay healthy, the problems could easily derail him. I've always liked him, so I wish him well.

Jim Albright
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

A BIG maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by Gashouse6
    He is the greatest fielding 3rd basemen ever.
    Brooksie, Schmidt, and JCollins say but he's arguably top 20 already. He might end up as one of the top couple
    Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
    Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

I don't think he's even close.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    I don't think he's even close.
    Care to elaborate at least a little?
    Seen on a bumper sticker: If only closed minds came with closed mouths.
    Some minds are like concrete--thoroughly mixed up and permanently set.
    A Lincoln: I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday.

Now sockeye, this is a worthwile poll. Not A-Rod or Manny.
    CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

it pretty much comes down to if he can remain healthy. if he can, I could see him putting the counting stats to get in. Being regarded as the best 3b of this era helps, but im not sure how much.

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright
    Care to elaborate at least a little?
    Lots of injuries and power seemingly on the decline, it doesn't seem as though that will rebound enough to give him what he needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood
    Lots of injuries and power seemingly on the decline, it doesn't seem as though that will rebound enough to give him what he needs.
    I agree here.

HOF is not out of the realm of possibilty. At his best he is a great combination of offense and defense, but until he is able to regain his form, fully rebounding from his injuries (he might never do this) is chances will continue to decline, IMO.

Rolen is certainly one of those guys who actually has a better case than I would like to admit.
    THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT COME WITH A SCORECARD

In the avy: AZ - Doe or Die

Under the Knickerbocker beer sign at the Polo Grounds
    I don't think Rolen will make the HOF; at least not right away. Rolen is actually the new Ron Santo. He produces at the level of Ron Santo, and his career numbers will resemble Santo's a lot. I don't think Rolen will last much past 35, if he makes it that long.

Rolen has had seven star seasons, played in four All Star games, won five Gold Gloves. These things are his forever. It's possible that he's done enough on peak value to slip in, but I doubt it.

Rolen will be the new Santo. He'll have similar numbers, he'll have his advocates, he'll have a case, but he'll fall short.
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

NL President Ford Frick, 1947

Thumbs down Rolen

Gud 1 Sockeye- nice challenging 1 2 think about!

Maybe, but I just can't c him making it

Quote Originally Posted by Outta Here
    Gud 1 Sockeye- nice challenging 1 2 think about!

Maybe, but I just can't c him making it
    plEz do not pOst lik this n e mor. it iz hrd 2 rEd.
    CLEVELAND INDIANS Central Division Champions

1920 1948 1954 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2001 2007

Quote Originally Posted by BoofBonser26
    plEz do not pOst lik this n e mor. it iz hrd 2 rEd.
    Sry m8 cnt hlp it

Blog Entries
    Very tough call. Depends on health and longevity. A Hall of Fame talent, to be sure.

Rolen's having a great year so far, but it's a DIFFERENT kind of year than he's had. He's hitting .358 at this writing, way, way over his norm. He's only hit 8 HRs so far, and he's on pace for the low 20s, but his BA and OBP are excellent.

Rolen will help himself if (A) he has the year he projects out to, (B) makes the All-Star team, and (C) wins the Gold Glove. That will probably put Rolen in the gray area, to where he has a chance to make the HOF based on what he's done to date.

But it's hard for me to project out to Sockeye's numbers a guy with the history of back problems Rolen's had. If he didn't have the bad back, Sockeye's numbers might well be attainable, but he does. In addition, Rolen was a large-sized rookie; he did not grow much, physically, since coming to the major leagues. This, to me, is a hint that Rolen may not age as well as someone who started young, but who grew. (Without HGH, by the way!)
    "I do not care if half the league strikes. Those who do it will encounter quick retribution. All will be suspended and I don't care if it wrecks the National League for five years. This is the United States of America and one citizen has as much right to play as another. The National League will go down the line with Robinson whatever the consequences. You will find if you go through with your intention that you have been guilty of complete madness."

its all about whether or not he can stay healthy.. hes an awesome fielder with a dangerous bat but this means jack if hes on the DL..

I voted no. His candidacy is contingent on his health, and that is what will keep him out in my mind. I think if he can somehow fight off the injuries, he may have a shot, and I would like to see that.

Rolen hall-of-fame-bound?

Hey has suffered too many injuries in the first half of his career. One can assume that he will not be "more healthy" in the second half of his career. His injury plagued career will impact his overall numbers like it did with Riggs Stephenson and Andre Dawson. If Rolen's numbers steady at their current pace for another 5-6 years, though, he has a shot. He may be around 400 HRs, 1,500 RBIs, and perhaps .300BA which puts him in good company at 3B.

Quote Originally Posted by romanos72
    Hey has suffered too many injuries in the first half of his career. One can assume that he will not be "more healthy" in the second half of his career. His injury plagued career will impact his overall numbers like it did with Riggs Stephenson and Andre Dawson. If Rolen's numbers steady at their current pace for another 5-6 years, though, he has a shot. He may be around 400 HRs, 1,500 RBIs, and perhaps .300BA which puts him in good company at 3B.
    The thing Rolen has going for him is that his injuries have not yet pushed him off third base, nor do they threaten to. This is important; he is on pace to put up very good numbers for a super glove man at 3B.

If Rolen has to move from 3B to the OF or 1B or even DH, it would be the death knell for his HOF chances, but there is no evidence that this is even being talked about.

Rolen in the Hall...Chipper a stronger candidate...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bear
    The thing Rolen has going for him is that his injuries have not yet pushed him off third base, nor do they threaten to. This is important; he is on pace to put up very good numbers for a super glove man at 3B.

If Rolen has to move from 3B to the OF or 1B or even DH, it would be the death knell for his HOF chances, but there is no evidence that this is even being talked about.

Perhaps Fuzzy Bear. It's hard to predict how healthy one will stay, but at this pace, he is on his way to the Hall. I personally like Rolen, despite the fact that he plays for the Cards...I beleive that Chipper Jones will make the Hall eventually, even after his exodus from 3B for a few years and his subsequent return. His consistency, the fact that he's a switch hitter, all of the division titles he has lead his team to, and his likeability will factor into it...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast