X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • julusnc
    Team Veteran
    • Apr 2004

Looking over Albert's numbers he and Dick Allen were almost the same player.

IMHO Belle and Allen should one day be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame but Allen should get the edge considering the era and position he played.

More Thoughts?

Comment

• RuthMayBond
      Out in LF (Bartman of BBF
      • Jan 2004

Allen had a higher OPS+ over more plate apps. He should go before Joey
      Mythical SF Chronicle scouting report: "That Jeff runs like a deer. Unfortunately, he also hits AND throws like one." I am Venus DeMilo - NO ARM! I can play like a big leaguer, I can field like Luzinski, run like Lombardi. The secret to managing is keeping the ones who hate you away from the undecided ones. I am a triumph of quantity over quality. I'm almost useful, every village needs an idiot.
      Good traders: MadHatter(2), BoofBonser26, StormSurge

Comment

• micsmith
        • Jul 2003

I did not ask why Belle was left off.

Comment

• Captain Cold Nose
          OSHA-certified Moderator
          • Jan 2000

That's ok. I did.
          Dave Bill Tom George Mark Bob Ernie Soupy Dick Alex Sparky
          Joe Gary MCA Emanuel Sonny Dave Earl Stan
          Jonathan Neil Roger Anthony Ray Thomas Art Don
          Gates Philip John Warrior Rik Casey Tony Horace
          Robin Bill Ernie JEDI

Comment

• mac195
            • Nov 2004

WARP3 shows them (Belle and Allen) to be about the same career value. Win Shares likes Allen much better. In fact, judging by win shares per plate apperance, Dick Allen is an all-time great. The only post integration players ahead of him are Mantle, Williams, Bonds, Mays and Musial.
            "The numbers are what brought me here; as it appears they brought you."
            - Danielle Rousseau

Comment

• julusnc
              Team Veteran
              • Apr 2004

Shame Dick Allen could not have been with better teams and been in a better frame of mind during his playing career.

Comment

• dreifort
                ---
                • Dec 2004

If Albert Belle gets in the Hall...it's a sham!

WTF is Gil Hodges!?! ...and he was f'n loyal to his team, no demands for privacy from the media or more money. And his career stats are better than Belle.

..and FYI, a player has to be out of the league 5 yrs to be able to get on the ballot, correct? technically, he's still on the Orioles roster until this yr.
                Son, we'd like to keep you around this season but we're going to try and win a pennant.

Comment

• julusnc
                  Team Veteran
                  • Apr 2004

I have to disagree Belle was a better player than Hodges.

Belle has been retired since 2000.

Comment

• Aegis
                    Shameless bandwagoneer
                    • Dec 2004

Yeah...I'm no fan of Belle, but Hodges doesn't really stack up to him stat-wise, other than strikeout rate. All Hodges ever led the league in was games played on two occasions. Belle led in HR once, RBI thrice, and slugging twice.

Comment

• julusnc
                      Team Veteran
                      • Apr 2004

Dont get me wrong I liked Gil Hodges as much as any Dodgers fan.

Hodges played for 18 seasons.Belle played for 12 seasons.

Comment

• Aegis
                        Shameless bandwagoneer
                        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by julusnc
                        Dont get me wrong I liked Gil Hodges as much as any Dodgers fan.

Hodges played for 18 seasons.Belle played for 12 seasons.
                        Which makes ink scores of 2/128 look even funnier next to 28/137.

Comment

• J W
                          Buck Showalter fanboy
                          • Jan 2000

Ah yes, my little franchise killer, Albert Belle...

I'm probably one of the biggest supporters of Dick Allen here. That would necessitate my support of Belle, I suppose. But it's a very interesting predicament that puts me in. Belle has to be my least favorite Oriole, EVER. Well, while he was with the team anyway... Mike Mussina ripped my heart out to he's really my least favorite.

But all that said, I may have to endorse him for the HOF. Even with so many other sluggers pounding the ball, he was consistently top five in all of MLB. Though he doesn't have the HR-title streak that Ralph Kiner does, I like to compare him to Belle as well. And it isn't like his personality drove him from baseball; he had a degenerative injury.

Allen/Belle/Kiner are all in that cut-short boat of the greatest sluggers in history. So I'll bite the bullet and say yes to Albert Belle; he was capable of being part of a successful team (see: Cleveland), despite being a big part of the O's collapse after they got rid of Palmeiro and Alomar. Just expect me to find every other viable candidate to vote for first.
                          http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploa...-showalter.gif

Comment

• Aegis
                            Shameless bandwagoneer
                            • Dec 2004

All in all, if I support Puckett, I have to give a good look at Belle. His numbers are inflated due to the era, but he still lead the league in slugging twice, OPS once, runs once, total bases three times, doubles once, home runs once, RBIs three times, and extra base hits three times. It doesn't matter what era you're in--when you lead the league, you lead the league. His injury wounds his stats, but I'll give him some benefit of the doubt on it.

He's still behind other personal choices of mine, however.

Comment

• cubbieinexile
                              The Real McCoy
                              • Jan 2000

Here is a question. How many people here believe that if a player used drugs to enhance his skills he should not be allowed into the hall? And then for all those who believe they should not, do you believe that Albert should go in?

Comment

• Aegis
                                Shameless bandwagoneer
                                • Dec 2004

Originally posted by cubbieinexile
                                Here is a question. How many people here believe that if a player used drugs to enhance his skills he should not be allowed into the hall? And then for all those who believe they should not, do you believe that Albert should go in?
                                If you mean any drugs, then we have to kick out Mays for using an amphetamine variant, and I'm not willing to be that hardline.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X