86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yep

44 51.16%
  • Nope

42 48.84%
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Albert Belle

Blog Entries
    If Dick Allen makes it to the HOF, THEN Joey can make it too. If this doesn't happens then he won't.
    "I am not too serious about anything. I believe you have to enjoy yourself to get the most out of your ability."-
    George Brett

Quote Originally Posted by yankillaz
    If Dick Allen makes it to the HOF, THEN Joey can make it too. If this doesn't happens then he won't.
    Now I'm pretty supportive of Belle, but he's no Dick Allen. Not by a longshot. It's as simple as putting their numbers in context. Allen getting in should not open the door for him, because Allen's credentials are MUCH better.

But Allen's days with the BBWAA are over, while Belle's are just beginning (or maybe not with such a paltry rookie showing).

I'm not a fan of the "I'll elect Player X, but only after Player Y is in" method. I'd rather elect Player X and then use him as an argument for Player Y. Then maybe both players would be elected, and not neither.

So, as much as I'm disgusted by him, I vote yes for Belle. And I agree Dick Allen is among the best of all players outside the HOF.

Belle and Frank Thomas were very similar for a few years, both very much feared by all pitchers. I don't particularly want to hear his speech, but think his career between the lines is worthy.

Anybody know if there's a cork hall of fame? Belle's in on 1st ballot

^HAHAHHAA!!!

That was good.

Anyway, NO CHEATERS!!!

I usually vote against Belle, but wouldn't be upset if he got in. He did have a great peak, but that was in the homer happy 1990's. And he only had ten full season, so his counting numbers are rather weak.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

I have absolutly no problem with Albert Belle as a HoFer. His statistics warrent Him such recognition, even dispite his tarnished image.
    Here's to baseball... The best sport made.

"There are two theories on hitting a knuckleball. Unfortunately, neither of them works." ― Charlie Lau

Quote Originally Posted by AlecBoy006
    ^HAHAHHAA!!!

That was good.

Anyway, NO CHEATERS!!!
    I never understood why it was more acceptable for pitchers to cheat than hitters. Gaylord Perry and Whitey Ford both cheated and both are in the Hall of Fame. Lew Burdette has gotten support despite being a below-average pitcher in his career. He cheated as well.

At the same time, I've heard BBWAA voters have refused to vote for Graig Nettles solely because of the super balls incident.

I don't understand it. If anyone would have motivation to cheat, it would be the hitters. Even the best hitters fail 70% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by tearforamariner
    I never understood why it was more acceptable for pitchers to cheat than hitters. Gaylord Perry and Whitey Ford both cheated and both are in the Hall of Fame. Lew Burdette has gotten support despite being a below-average pitcher in his career. He cheated as well.

At the same time, I've heard BBWAA voters have refused to vote for Graig Nettles solely because of the super balls incident.

I don't understand it. If anyone would have motivation to cheat, it would be the hitters. Even the best hitters fail 70% of the time.
    It's got to be the records. The 500 HR, the 3000 hits, everyone loves these things and hates to give them up to a hitter who was cheating. Pitching, on the other hand, doesnt really have the flash and glamour of a milestone. (300 wins perhaps, but even then 500 HRs seems to get more attention, when 300 wins seems to be much harder to achieve nowadays)

The question about Belle comes down to is it the Hall of Recognition or the Hall of Fame? Is he truly one of the all-time greats? I'm on the fence but leaning towards no Hall of Fame. But if there were a Hall of skill or a hall of numbers, then absolutely first ballot.

some stats

Major League Baseball (Cleveland Indians, Chicago White Sox, Baltimore Orioles):

AL Home Run leader (1995)
    AL RBI leader (1993, 1995-tie, 1996)
    AL Doubles leader (1995)
    AL Runs leader (1995)
    AL Slugging Percentage leader (1995, 1998)
    AL Outfield Assist leader (RF) (1999-tie)
    Named to Silver Slugger Team (1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998)
    All Star (1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997)
    First player to ever hit 50 HR and 50 Doubles (1995)
    The Sporting News Player of the Year (1995)
    Baseball Digest Player of the Year (1995)
    Led Major Leagues in the 1990s with 1,099 RBI
    Led Major Leagues in Extra Base Hits in the 1990s with 711
    4th player ever to have 8 straight seasons with 30 HR and 100 RBI
    Inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame (June 2005)

cav
    You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the $%#%! plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all. ~Earl Weaver

TFAM- I'm not saying it's ACCEPTABLE, but Perry and Ford both used cheating, but not BAD cheating.

Perry won 300 Games.
    Ford has 10 World Series victories

I'd vote "no", but he's clearly worthy of conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by AlecBoy006
    TFAM- I'm not saying it's ACCEPTABLE, but Perry and Ford both used cheating, but not BAD cheating.

Perry won 300 Games.
    Ford has 10 World Series victories
    Not bad cheating?

What do you define as " bad cheating "? Is it a type of cheating that clearly has an effect on the numbers?

If it is, Doctoring the ball definitely is a form of " bad cheating " - Check out this post made by someone who took the time to do a little bit of research.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=47

I voted no because he backed out of Chicago after two years. In 1999, he returned there as an Oriole, and the crowd weren't too happy of him backing out. Then after 2000, he retired due to back problems, and that angered some Orioles fans for him backing out from another team - again.

He was a multi-million slugger, equipped with a 10 cent personality. I know that "Lefty" Carlton was one of those players, but Belle was troubled during his MLB tenure. It was due to his problems in his past, so if you want an aggresive slugger in the Hall, go with Albert "Joey" Belle.

Belle is insane. I would only vote for him if it were down to 2 players on the ballot...Belle & McGwire. I might even vote for Roberto Alomar over those two, but I am not sure yet.

He could go into the Wifebeating Hall of Fame maybe. Or the "Got Lazy When He Came To The O's" Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Jermz
    Belle is insane. I would only vote for him if it were down to 2 players on the ballot...Belle & McGwire. I might even vote for Roberto Alomar over those two, but I am not sure yet.

He could go into the Wifebeating Hall of Fame maybe. Or the "Got Lazy When He Came To The O's" Hall of Fame
    I'm pretty sure Alomar will go into the hall of fame. He should as should Belle. They can hang out with Cobb, Hornsby, Ruth, and all the other alchoholics, wife beaters, racists, and abusive jerks who populate the hall. Character has for the most part been very little of an issue as to who enters the hall. I don't see why it should start to be now. Nevertheless, I don't blame O's and SOX fans for not thinking too highly of Prince Albert.

There are those that think all cheating is equivalent, but that is untrue. Cheating, like crime, bears different penalties depending the level of the offense. We don't have lethal injection as the penalty for all crimes.
    Buck O'Neil: The Monarch of Baseball

Blog Entries
    He's off the BBWAA ballot, so we can table this conversation for 15 years or so. Que sera sera.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast