Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Ichiro Thread

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I keep hearing people say this. Is it 100% certain he's retiring from US baseball and heading back to Japan? I would love to see him get 3,000 US hits.
    I don't think he's announced anything...maybe 3000 hits here is a goal for him, but he's got over 450 to go and I don't see him being a starter for anybody in MLB for 2+ more seasons.
    It strikes me that I'm probably being disrespectful to Mariners fans by continuing to post about Ichiro here, I'll move any future posts to the Yanks or current events fora.

Classy move by Ichiro to take care of a super loyal fan.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...3149--mlb.html

Midway through the 2004 season, Amy Franz came up with the idea to bring an "Ichimeter" to games at Safeco Field as a way of tracking Ichiro Suzuki's progress toward breaking George Sisler's record of 257 hits in a single season. The Seattle Mariners superstar would break the mark with 262 that year with Franz's sign often being featured on television as the total climbed.

The original "Ichimeter" would land in the Hall of Fame after that '04 season, but Franz made sure that another version was a constant presence in the right-field stands as Ichiro continued to post 200-hit season after 200-hit season for the Mariners. Franz became a local celebrity of sorts, running a Facebook page for the sign, bringing it on road trips and even adopting an @ichimeterlady Twitter handle that reflected how she was known by many fans at Safeco.

Then, last July, Ichiro was traded to the New York Yankees. An era had ended in Seattle as had Franz's need to tote the sign to her seats in right field. The Yankees were in Seattle when the swap went down so Ichiro came over in his New York uniform to thank Franz for her support through the years and to autograph the Ichimeter. It was the final chapter in the Ichimeter story.

Only, it turns out that it wasn't. Franz received a special package on Tuesday afternoon and tweeted that she almost "passed out in the middle of the living room" after opening it.

Inside the package was a special thank-you note from Ichiro ...

ichirothankyou1.jpg

... as well as an autographed bat and pair of cleats ...

ichirothankyou22.jpg

Needless to say, that's one of the best thank-yous a player has ever given a fan and just an all-around great gesture from Ichiro. While Franz made many fans over the years of dutifully bringing the sign to her seats, it turns out her biggest fan may have been Ichiro himself.

Ichiro 1, cynicism 0.

Thank you for sharing that story!

Almost made me tear, that was truly awesome.
    Lou Gehrig is the Truest Yankee of them all!

That really is a cool thing to do. He's a class act.
    "(Shoeless Joe Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." -- Connie Mack

"I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

I never knew what his signature looked like, but it's really cool. It looks like a bunch of scribbles but yet at the same time, it looks really artistic.

Ichiro could reach 2,800 hits as early as his next at bat. In my estimation he's already done enough to be enshrined in both the American and Japanese baseball Hall Of Fames. I have no idea what's in his mind. Do you think he will continue to play in order to reach 3,000 MLB hits?
    If he's going to try for 3,000 hits then he will need to leave the Yankees, who only play him sparingly. On a team where he had an ideal situation where he could maximize his playing time in some sort of OF/DH combination capacity he could reach 3,000 hits in 2015. Anything less than an everyday starter position and he probably wouldn't reach 3,000 hits until 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Ichiro could reach 2,800 hits as early as his next at bat. In my estimation he's already done enough to be enshrined in both the American and Japanese baseball Hall Of Fames. I have no idea what's in his mind. Do you think he will continue to play in order to reach 3,000 MLB hits?
    If he's going to try for 3,000 hits then he will need to leave the Yankees, who only play him sparingly. On a team where he had an ideal situation where he could maximize his playing time in some sort of OF/DH combination capacity he could reach 3,000 hits in 2015. Anything less than an everyday starter position and he probably wouldn't reach 3,000 hits until 2016.
    You think he will play 10 more years??

Quote Originally Posted by NJYankeeFan View Post
    You think he will play 10 more years??
    That's an absurd comment. Ichiro may not reach 3,000 hits thanks in large part to your team the Yankees playing him so infrequently. I'd play him instead of Gardner in LF.
    He's not going to play 10 more years, obviously but in the right circumstance he could reach 3,000 hits in two more years and possibly only one more season. I'll bet Joe Maddon and the Rays would love to have him be their everyday DH and several other teams would like him in their lineup every day. If he reaches 2,850 hits by the end of this season then he'd have a real chance to reach 3,000 hits in one more season, by the end of 2015 if he gets enough at bats.

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    That's an absurd comment. Ichiro may not reach 3,000 hits thanks in large part to your team the Yankees playing him so infrequently. I'd play him instead of Gardner in LF.
    He's not going to play 10 more years, obviously but in the right circumstance he could reach 3,000 hits in two more years and possibly only one more season. I'll bet Joe Maddon and the Rays would love to have him be their everyday DH and several other teams would like him in their lineup every day. If he reaches 2,850 hits by the end of this season then he'd have a real chance to reach 3,000 hits in one more season, by the end of 2015 if he gets enough at bats.
    Anybody that would love to have him can. He is terrible. He should have retired 5 years ago. The idea of plating him over Gardner is laughable.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839