Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: On August 19, 1957.......

The Giants are and always will be New York's team. The Polo Grounds was a symbol of their success and downfalls. But we all know that maybe, just maybe that it was in the best interest for the team's longevity. That is to move the team to the West. The PG was old and yes it was in a bad area. But as POLO GROUNDS said, it was the area. The Giants didn't want to be in that kind of environment anyway. But as previously mentioned, Shea Stadium would fit them. Queens would be better. The Dodgers on the other hand would fair off in Ebbets Field because they had a great fan base. Yes the Giants were losing out fans. But look what happened. California was thirsting for a ML team and they got it, North vs South. The rivalry is still alive for more than 100 years. It wouldn't matter where they are at now. They still come to New York to visit and there is that feeling hey, there would be a chance for one of THEM to come back and by golly, welcome THEM with open arms! Ladies and gentlemen, it may happen. GO GIANTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan

The Giants are and always will be New York's team.
    True words.

If the city govt. back then had really appreciated the Giants' significance they would have welcomed Horace's innovative concept of building a new ballpark over on Manahattan's west side. But they were politicians, so ...

There's apparently still some room over there, I seem to remember some talk of building the Yanks a (totally unneeded) new park there some years ago. But with the Giants drawing three million or so in their latest park, it'll take some doing to get them back.

After the Giants left New York, Horace Stoneham agreed to have the Giant home games recreated for Giant fans on WINS 1010. Les Keider was the broadcster who did the recreation. The team that left with them had no such contriteness for their fans. Deep down I think Stoneham knew he made a mistake. From a business perspective, O'Malley got a great deal he virtually stole the property to build Chavez Ravine. Stoneham had no such acumen and never checked on things like the winds at Candlestick Point. The Giants survived in Candlestick, which was once described by Jim Wohlford this way " The only difference between Candlestick and San Quentin is you get to go home at night."
    Last edited by GIANT; 09-11-2004 at 04:19 PM.

Los Angeles was far more desperate for a Major League team than SF, they needed it to validate their civic existence, that's why the local pols bent over for the big O. SF was glad to get a team, but not willing to give it all away.

It was SF that held the PCL attendance record, not LA. And compare their attendance for the past few years ... SF doesn't look too shabby now, does it?

As for Candlestick, hey, it's a Giants tradition to play in, uh, idiosyncratic ballparks.

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan
    Imagine the Giants moving back to New York. Hey look what happened to the Oakland Raiders. They returned back home after staying like 13 years in Los Angeles. That's a dream anyway. The sister team Mets are their team now with a piece of Dodger and Giant engraved in them forever. Sad!
    I think not so. Move back to NYC? The SF Giants are making money and have a brand new stadium.
    The majority of the former Giants and Dodgers' fandom are rooting loyally to the Mets.

Hello everyone, I'm a Red Sox fan but also I'm a Giants fan.

Welcome aboard, Swiss.

I, too, am a Red Sox fan -- since 1967, the year of "The Impossible Dream" (Yastrzemski, Lonborg) -- so now I root for the Giants in the NL and the Red Sox in the AL.

This year was a big thrill I'm sure Red Sox fans will never forget. It is the first time a team I rooted for won the World Series since 1954, the last time the Giants won -- and that too was a 4-game sweep.
    WRD

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Swiss
    Hello everyone, I'm a Red Sox fan but also I'm a Giants fan.
    You must have enjoyed 1912.
    Baseball articles you might not like but should read.

Re-creations of Giant games in 1958-1960 by Les Keiter

I saw a reference somewhere to the Giant games being re-created. What do people remember about those re-creations? I remember listening every day to Les Keiter, not a bad announcer. I remember hearing the re-creation of McCovey's first game as a Giant vs. the Phillies when he went 5 for 5 in 1959. I believe he actually had 2 triples. As a 7 or 8 year old boy I loved those re-creations. After the Giants had a bad year in 1960 finishing 5th I believe to the Pirates they stopped the re-creations. The Giants though were pretty good in 58 and 59 almost winning both years. I think they would have packed them in at the Polo Grounds had they stayed for those teams. I don't believe Dodger games were re-created. Is that correct?
    Would appreciate it hearing if you have any recollections of these re-creations. Were they on WINS?
    Thanks
    Steve B.

Quote Originally Posted by sbal24
    I saw a reference somewhere to the Giant games being re-created. What do people remember about those re-creations? I remember listening every day to Les Keiter, not a bad announcer. I remember hearing the re-creation of McCovey's first game as a Giant vs. the Phillies when he went 5 for 5 in 1959. I believe he actually had 2 triples. As a 7 or 8 year old boy I loved those re-creations. After the Giants had a bad year in 1960 finishing 5th I believe to the Pirates they stopped the re-creations. The Giants though were pretty good in 58 and 59 almost winning both years. I think they would have packed them in at the Polo Grounds had they stayed for those teams. I don't believe Dodger games were re-created. Is that correct?
    Would appreciate it hearing if you have any recollections of these re-creations. Were they on WINS?
    Thanks
    Steve B.
    The Giant games were recreated on WINS 1010. Les Keiter was the broadcaster. Keiter broadcast New York Football Giant games in the early fifties. Keiter was a fine broadcaster. The games were recreated on PDT. Top Brass for Men was one of the sponsors. The McCovey game, which you referenced occurred on July 30, 1959. "Stretch" went 5-5 against Robin Roberts of the Phillies. I recall the first game the Giants played at Seals Stadium in 1958 against the Dodgers was recreated by Mr. Keiter. Ruben Gomez beat Don Drysdale 8-0. The early San Francisco Giant teams with Mays, Cepeda, McCovey, Kirkland and later Jim Ray Hart would have flourished offensively at the Polo Grounds. They still had Johnny Antonelli and a young right hander named Juan Marichal on the horizon.

After the Giants left New York, the Phillies televised all home games with the Giants and Dodgers on WOR TV Channel 9. Later the Pirates broadcast their games with the Giants and Dodgers on Channel 13.

The Dodgers did not recreate any of their games into the New York market upon their departure.
    Last edited by GIANT; 12-07-2005 at 05:23 PM.

Looking for 55 Sullivan Place in long ago Brooklyn
    I've always felt that Horace Stoneham was no match for O'Malley in business acumen, force of personality, and greed. (And, believe me, I am NO admirer of O'Malley!)

But Horace outdid O'Malley in one trait far more important: decency. Horace was honest enough to tell the truth while he still had customers to lose by doing so. I've always respected him for the timing of his announcement of the move to SF.

I have no doubt that he would have stayed here had he been able to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by EbtsFldGuy
    I've always felt that Horace Stoneham was no match for O'Malley in business acumen, force of personality, and greed. (And, believe me, I am NO admirer of O'Malley!)

But Horace outdid O'Malley in one trait far more important: decency. Horace was honest enough to tell the truth while he still had customers to lose by doing so. I've always respected him for the timing of his announcement of the move to SF.

I have no doubt that he would have stayed here had he been able to do so.
    Horace was a decent and honest man, words I would never use to describe O'Malley. Unfortunatly, like many others, Horace was a pawn in O'Malleys scheme.
    Lets get Eddie Basinski elected to the Polish Sports Hall of Fame.
    www.brooklyndodgermemories.com

Looking for 55 Sullivan Place in long ago Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by GIANT
    After the Giants left New York, Horace Stoneham agreed to have the Giant home games recreated for Giant fans on WINS 1010. Les Keider was the broadcster who did the recreation. The team that left with them had no such contriteness for their fans. Deep down I think Stoneham knew he made a mistake. From a business perspective, O'Malley got a great deal he virtually stole the property to build Chavez Ravine. Stoneham had no such acumen and never checked on things like the winds at Candlestick Point. The Giants survived in Candlestick, which was once described by Jim Wohlford this way " The only difference between Candlestick and San Quentin is you get to go home at night."
    The enormity of the mistake was evidenced one Friday night in about 1979 (I think). I was watching Bill Jorgensen do the Channel 5 (NYC) news, and he opened with this lead: "The San Francisco Giants are no more."

You'll recall an abortive movement to send the Giants to Toronto at that time. The deal was announced, and then SF scrambled and saved the team.

Had that happened, the move to SF would have lasted only 21 years!

A couple of years later, the Blue Jays were formed for Toronto.

Then later still, there was talk of the Giants going to San Jose.

Goes to show that Stoneham did not think through his move West.

on august 19 1957

I think the year that the Giants were going to move was 1975 not 1979 because the Blue Jays came into the A.L. in 1977.Also after the 1991 season they were all packed and on there way to Tampa Bay until Peter McGowen purchased the team and put some pride back into the franchise since he grew up as a N.Y.Giants fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenpeach View Post
    Sure, here you go Westside.

"There were some vague attempts to induce the Giants to stay. The Polo Grounds was creaking after all those busy years, and the neighborhood outside, to put it kindly, was deteriorating. "There were times." Lee Allen once remarked, "when the Giants couldn't guarantee their box-seat customers safety from armed robberies during night games." Nor was attendance particularly helped when a Giant fan was killed during a game by a sniper's bullet fired from a nearby Harlem rooftop."

"The Giants of The Polo Grounds" by Noel Hynd pg. 380
    The shooting victim was a 52-year old retired Railway Express worker, who was sitting in the upper left-field stands.
    The shooter was 15-year old Bobby Peebles, who fired the shot into the air from the roof of a housing complex some 1150' away. The kid was celebrating July 4 (1950). He had one round in his pistol. The bullet came down and hit the victim in the temple. Bobby served two years in reform school.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12