Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else miss Memorial?

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    I only went to Memorial Stadium twice and the two experiences were about 180 degrees apart. My First experience was at a day game in late June 1990 and I went alone. That experience was idyllic - perfect conditions and I had a great time. The O's played Cleveland and I even got some photos of the Indians by their team bus as they departed. I got "The Governor" Jerry Browne (infielder) to sign my ticket stub and I got a nice closeup photo of Keith Hernandez, who was injured, but who was traveling with he team. The second and last game at Memorial I went to was a night game against the Yankees in May 1991 and I took my girlfriend. (I think it was Memorial Day Weekend). Unfortunately, I didn't pick up much local flavor there, because I was seated in a section that was occupied almost entirely Yankee fans and it was a lot like being at a game at Yankee Stadium. I found the neighborhood around the stadium to not be safe and even dangerous. To paraphrase the Bob Dylan song, "The Day of the Locusts" - when we left after the game "I grabbed ahold of my sweetheart and away we did fly......Sure was glad to get out of there alive".
    Was this the game you attended in 1990?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99006280.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jeltz View Post
    Was this the game you attended in 1990?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...99006280.shtml
    Yes that was the game (6/28) and I went to a Phillies night game two days later (6/30). In the Phillies game Ron Jones, an outfielder of a lot of promise (1988-1991 Phillies) who earned his first trip to the majors as a September call-up in 1988 after he had led the International League in RBI, injured his leg chasing a fly ball in RF. The ball rolled to the wall for an inside the park home run and Jones' injury was so severe that he was out for the rest of the season. It was a horrible looking injury and that's why it stands out so much. I really don't remember much about the Orioles game, just after the game stands out because I met Keith Hernandez and Jerry Browne. I do remember that there was a lot of buzz in Memorial Stadium about Jim Palmer, because he was going to be inducted into the Baseball Hall Of fame a few weeks later.
    Mention of those games makes me nostalgic for my old bachelor days. In a trip of about six days I spent some time on the beach in Ocean City, MD, some time at The Inner Harbor in Baltimore, went to Longwood Gardens in PA, toured downtown Baltimore & Center City Philadelphia, and caught Orioles and Phillies games before getting back home to Northern NJ. It was a busy week!

Quote Originally Posted by philliesfiend55 View Post
    Yes that was the game (6/28) and I went to a Phillies night game two days later (6/30). In the Phillies game Ron Jones, an outfielder of a lot of promise (1988-1991 Phillies) who earned his first trip to the majors as a September call-up in 1988 after he had led the International League in RBI, injured his leg chasing a fly ball in RF. The ball rolled to the wall for an inside the park home run and Jones' injury was so severe that he was out for the rest of the season. It was a horrible looking injury and that's why it stands out so much. I really don't remember much about the Orioles game, just after the game stands out because I met Keith Hernandez and Jerry Browne. I do remember that there was a lot of buzz in Memorial Stadium about Jim Palmer, because he was going to be inducted into the Baseball Hall Of fame a few weeks later.
    Mention of those games makes me nostalgic for my old bachelor days. In a trip of about six days I spent some time on the beach in Ocean City, MD, some time at The Inner Harbor in Baltimore, went to Longwood Gardens in PA, toured downtown Baltimore & Center City Philadelphia, and caught Orioles and Phillies games before getting back home to Northern NJ. It was a busy week!
    Sadly, Ron Jones passed away several years ago. As for the injury that you described, that was the second major knee injury that Jones sustained. The first one occurred in early 1989 while he was chasing a fly ball at the warning track in Shea Stadium. The knee injury in 1990 occurred in his other knee, IIRC. He came back in 1991, but he was never the same player who showed the promise in late 1988 and early 1989.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12