Page 55 of 100 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,375 of 2499

Thread: *Babe Ruth Thread*

I also think that Ruth would have put up much better stats had he not abused his body so badly. Imagine Ruth with Gehrig's work ethic and self discipline. I think he would have slugged .800+ 2 or 3 more times had he kept his weight down around 200 like he should have. What a waste of talent. Luckily, he was still pretty good.

He averaged .3.23 walks in those three years 1915-16-18.
    But ranked high in least hits per 9 innings pitched. Leaders Hit/9 IP-- Ruth 6.64---Johnson 6.94---Alexander 7.12.
    ERA ------------------------------------------------------------- Alex 1.54----Johnson 1.88---Ruth 2.02.

I look at everything this guy did in the game and add to that he just missed a no hitter on an infield hit.
    July 11, 1917 against the Tigers, one of the best hitting teams in both leagues.
    One out in the 8th inning, Ruth deflected a ground ball to Scott at short but the runner beat the throw, one hitter.
    Hitting .393 in 1923, missing .400 by 4 hits.

So close, add that to what he did, a .400 season and a no hitter.

Alexander, some pitcher, 36 shutouts in those 3 seasons.
    Last edited by SHOELESSJOE3; 07-09-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Thanks for the insights ShoelessJoe, much appreciated. Interesting to note that as a pitcher Ruth had a winning record against Walter Johnson, 6-3. The more I read about Ruth the more amazed I am. Fact is, the real Ruth is more impressive than the mythic Ruth. Myths are a bit ephemeral, reality is based on solid empirical evidence, and what evidence!
    ". . . the Ruth, the whole Ruth and nothing but the Ruth . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by elmer View Post
    Looking foward to that when it does appear. What I'm wondering, with the current economic situation, how much will the public contribute to the project.

Some Babe bits. After the clash with Ty Babe asked to pitch in the next meeting with the Tigers. Don't know what Ty did in his first at bat but after Babe struck out Ty in the 5th inning Babe went to the outfield, two home runs and Yanks win 13-8.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A question for the Ruth experts. Ruth ushered in a new era of the home run. How quickly major league teams realize that the home run was here to say and that they need to go scout and sign power hitters? I'm sure Ruth inspired young boys, especially the big strong ones, to hit for power which eventually lead to other power hitters reaching the majors. From a historical view you have the Dead Ball game being played then this big strong guy shows up and starts hitting 500 ft home runs. Within a few short years yo get other power hitters showing up in the majors. Without Ruth would Hornsby, Gehrig, Foxx, Ott, Wilson and Greenberg have been hitting 40-50 HRs?
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 09-04-2012 at 02:30 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Honus Wagner Rules View Post
    A question for the Ruth experts. Ruth ushered in a new era of the home run. How quickly major league teams realize that the home run was here to say and that they need to go scout and sign power hitters? I'm sure Ruth inspired young boys, especially the big strong ones, to hit for power which eventually lead to other power hitters reaching the majors. From a historical view you have the Dead Ball game being played then this big strong strong guys shows up and starts hitting 500 ft home runs. Within a few short years yo get other power hitters showing up in the majors. Without Ruth would Hornsby, Gehrig, Foxx, Ott, Wilson and Greenberg have been hitting 40-50 HRs?
    I think they still would have, they showed they were capable and some were in their prime year in the 1930s when more were going for the long ball. Hornsby older in the 1930s, Foxx and Greenberg very young.
    Just noticed a mild spike in home runs leagues combined in 1925 compared to 1924 and then a drastic drop from 1925 to 1926.
    1924 896 home runs---1925 1169 home runs---------plus 273.
    1925 1169 home runs--1926 863 home runs---------333 less in 1926

That plus 273 plus and 333 less in 1926, significant gap, only dealing with about 1000 total.
    Also Babe hitting only 25 in 1925 and Lou Gehrig 20.

If I recall eyebrows were raised in 1925 and the league did some testing of balls before 1925 and the 1925 ball, they said no difference.
    Cusion cork center picked up by both leagues but that was in 1926.

What Shoeless said for sure.

Also, its this: in 1918 and prior, it made no sense for most players to try to hit homers. Ruth was accustomed to hitting as hard as he could and for distance, so he was already 'set' for the changes in 1919-1920. I'm certain that had Ruth not existed, that some other fellows would have tried to do the same somewhere in 1919-1925. He simply did it better and because he demanded more money and being in NY was able to get it, the sensationalism of it spread faster with more impact.

It's much like the Fosbury Flop in high jumping: with foam padding it became possible, but one person had to show how it was possible to perform better, first. However, in the case of Ruth, he had also the perfect swing and great batting skill, so his contemporaries could not match him.

Quote Originally Posted by drstrangelove View Post
    What Shoeless said for sure.

Also, its this: in 1918 and prior, it made no sense for most players to try to hit homers. Ruth was accustomed to hitting as hard as he could and for distance, so he was already 'set' for the changes in 1919-1920. I'm certain that had Ruth not existed, that some other fellows would have tried to do the same somewhere in 1919-1925. He simply did it better and because he demanded more money and being in NY was able to get it, the sensationalism of it spread faster with more impact.

It's much like the Fosbury Flop in high jumping: with foam padding it became possible, but one person had to show how it was possible to perform better, first. However, in the case of Ruth, he had also the perfect swing and great batting skill, so his contemporaries could not match him.
    I wonder did anyone try to change Babe Ruth's style of hitting to a more slappy style when he was a young player? I wonder did Honus Wagner have more of a modern power hitter's swing? This is the only film clip that I know of that shows Wagner swinging. It doesn't look like a typical Dead Ball era slappy swing to me. I have no idea if this was a typical swing for Wagner during games?

wagnerswing2tr5a.gif
    Last edited by Honus Wagner Rules; 07-20-2012 at 12:42 PM.
    Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist. Throw some ground balls - it's more democratic.-Crash Davis

That is some great footage!I`ve never seen any film of Wagner hitting either.This clip appears to be circa 1930(long after his playing days) judging by the uniforms and number on Wagner`s back.He was a long time coach with the Pirates and liked to work out and appear in Old Timers games.Wagner is using a thin handled ash bat and is down at the knob.Here is a photo of Wagner taken in a 1931 Old Timers game-note the very thin handle and Wagner`s hands together and down at the knob just like in clip.honus 1931.jpg

Give it a try George.

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
    That is some great footage!I`ve never seen any film of Wagner hitting either.This clip appears to be circa 1930(long after his playing days) judging by the uniforms and number on Wagner`s back.He was a long time coach with the Pirates and liked to work out and appear in Old Timers games.Wagner is using a thin handled ash bat and is down at the knob.Here is a photo of Wagner taken in a 1931 Old Timers game-note the very thin handle and Wagner`s hands together and down at the knob just like in clip.honus 1931.jpg
    Great info, Nimrod! I never knew the year of the Wagner film clip! In the photo Wagner would be 57 years old!!!! Years ago I thought I read that when Wagner was a Pirates coach he would take bating practice and hit some absolute bombs a few over 450 ft. I'm trying to verify these stories.

Quote Originally Posted by SHOELESSJOE3 View Post
    Give it a try George.
    Wow. Ruth's writing tells me a lot. At age 15 or so, he already had truckloads of confidence in his pitching. I read somewhere that he was very upset about not getting a chance to pitch in the 1915 World Series. What a shame! They should have had him pitch against Pete Alexander. The following year in his first start ever in a World Series game at the age of 21, he pitched a 14 inning complete game and won 2-1. Afterwards, he said, "I told you I could beat those National League bums". That story to me is the most impressive one of them all. This young kid was afraid of nothing. By age 23, he had already won 80 games with an impressive .661 pct and 2.09 ERA. In addition, he had a 3-0 record and 0.87 ERA in the World Series. I still cannot believe that he got moved to the outfield during a pitcher-dominated era. He was easily the 3rd best pitcher in MLB during his prime and had proven to be very clutch. And actually, he pitched his last full season on the mound by age 22. I don't think he was old enough to peak as a pitcher. Imagine how good of a pitcher he could have been had he been given the chance to mature? I have no doubt that he would have made the Hall as a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by pheasant View Post
    Wow. Ruth's writing tells me a lot. At age 15 or so, he already had truckloads of confidence in his pitching. I read somewhere that he was very upset about not getting a chance to pitch in the 1915 World Series. What a shame! They should have had him pitch against Pete Alexander. The following year in his first start ever in a World Series game at the age of 21, he pitched a 14 inning complete game and won 2-1. Afterwards, he said, "I told you I could beat those National League bums". That story to me is the most impressive one of them all. This young kid was afraid of nothing. By age 23, he had already won 80 games with an impressive .661 pct and 2.09 ERA. In addition, he had a 3-0 record and 0.87 ERA in the World Series. I still cannot believe that he got moved to the outfield during a pitcher-dominated era. He was easily the 3rd best pitcher in MLB during his prime and had proven to be very clutch. And actually, he pitched his last full season on the mound by age 22. I don't think he was old enough to peak as a pitcher. Imagine how good of a pitcher he could have been had he been given the chance to mature? I have no doubt that he would have made the Hall as a pitcher.
    I guess we will never know what might have been. Had he developed, matured as a pitcher might, he would have left his mark. But again it never happened, looked like he was on his way as a very good, maybe great pitcher.

Glad to see he chose the batter's box and really left his mark on the game. I see some suggest that he might have been able to do both. Impossible, no way anyone could pitch and play other positions on days where he should be resting. Even if he did not stay with pitching every 4th or 5th day, still to demanding.
    Some also bring up, the DH, if he played in that time.

The Bam catching a ball dropped from a building in NYC, August 17,1922.
    All I can say is....................must have been a good time to be in the business of selling hats.

Here is the Babe just after catching a ball dropped from an airplane on July 22,1926 at Mitchell Field on Long Island(for a world`s record).Babe-Ruth-airplane-80mph-alt-200-ft.jpg

Most home runs off of Left Grove.
    Gehrig 9---Ruth 9---Greenberg 9.
    1930, Shibe Park, Babe Ruth drive clears wall in right centerfield. The ball strikes speaker supports monted on wall, bounces back on to the field. There is no ground rule covering this event, babe is sent back to second base, no home run, a double. Twice in 1930 Ruth hit drives that struck those supports, two doubles, he finished with 49 home runs, one short of his 5th season with 50 or more home runs.
    Maybe a small sample but of all the hitters he faced Babe the left handed hitter managed to hit 9 home runs off of one of the best left handed pitchers in that era.
    And Babe never faced lefty until his ( Ruth's) 13th season 1926.

The club trying to rein in the Babe in 1922.
    Not to clear on that one... liquors "Whether in the playing season or not", unless they accept moderate use.

Wondering where this ball turned up. Saw an interview with Ted long ago and he showed some anger.............spoke about a ball Babe gave him................."To my pal....................... Said he treasured that ball but some SOB stole the ball. Unless he did find it later. This pic was from an auction house, ball up for sale.

Blog Entries

Last edited by SultanOfWhat; 08-29-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Blog Entries
    Remember this turkey?:

Well, they were a few decades too late. Imagine this beast being unleashed upon the world:

That's heavyweight champ Jack Dempsey with the Babe.

Do you have the names of the people in the 1927 picture? I recognize Gehrig, Hornsby, Huggins, McGraw and Ruth. Is that Wagner to Ruth's right (our left)?

Quote Originally Posted by JR Hart View Post
    Do you have the names of the people in the 1927 picture? I recognize Gehrig, Hornsby, Huggins, McGraw and Ruth. Is that Wagner to Ruth's right (our left)?
    To our left(of Ruth) is Nick Altrock who was the ''Clown Prince of Baseball".To our right of Ruth is Christy Walsh.Donie Bush is the Pirates manager(wearing Pirate uniform).I don`t know who the balding fellow is at the very end next to Gehrig.

I just finished reading Creamer's book on the Babe. I'd like to read other Ruth biographies to compare. Which ones would you guys recommend?

Page 55 of 100 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast